Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Pembroke Welsh Corgi ?

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by vet-2-b, Jun 1, 2010.

1. vet-2-b

vet-2-b PetForums VIP

Ive been looking for a little dog for ages and i was looking at dog blog and theres a corgi I was woundering who has one and what there like ? i have a 6 year old wheaten terrier already and it says that hes good with other dogs the rescues close hes good with kids (me and my little sis) and hes only 1 ive just got convines my mum lol

2. alaun

alaun PetForums VIP

I grew up with a corgi. A friend has them too. As much as I loved my old dog I don't think I would choose another one.

The ones that I have known have been quite snappy (I have a scar on my face as a souvenier). He was great company and great fun but hated other dogs - my firend's are the same.

I'm sure they are not all like this, but these are the only ones that I've known well enough to comment on.

3. vet-2-b

vet-2-b PetForums VIP

#3 vet-2-b, Jun 1, 2010
    Last edited: Jun 1, 2010
  4. vet-2-b

vet-2-b PetForums VIP

how much do they malt ?

5. Nicky10

Nicky10 PetForums VIP

I have to admit I have a real soft spot for corgis. Not sure about shedding but they're smart and apparently have their humans trained very quickly. They can be snappy but that's what they're bred to do nip the heels of the animals to drive them so it has to be discouraged especially around children. Make good little obedience/agility dogs too and are ridiculously cute

They apparently shed all year round with huge sheds twice a year like a lot of the double coated dogs

#5 Nicky10, Jun 1, 2010
  6. alaun

alaun PetForums VIP

They do shed quite a bit - it's a long time since I've had one.

I do remember going everywhere with him and he was like my little shadow, I was devastated when he died. But U have to be honest, he was snappy.

Arthur does look lovely and if the rescue say he is fine with kids, dogs and cats thenI'm sure he will be. They have to protect their own interests so will have checked him carefully.

7. ad_1980

ad_1980 PetForums VIP

you mean you haven't got a dog yet? LOL

long time hon.

8. vet-2-b

vet-2-b PetForums VIP

I no its so hard to get my mum and dad to agree on something lol it took me well over 3 years to get alfie consisting of constant nagging lol

#8 vet-2-b, Jun 1, 2010
  9. vet-2-b

vet-2-b PetForums VIP

10. Nicky10

Nicky10 PetForums VIP

Those ears are just awesome she's far too cute :001_wub:. Only 11 weeks too and knows all that

11. vet-2-b

vet-2-b PetForums VIP

i no lol i love the sheer amount of consentration on that leave comand :thumbup: :D

12. vet-2-b

vet-2-b PetForums VIP

i think the little fellers got a home cant find him and the link wont load anything :(

13. hazel pritchard

hazel pritchard PetForums VIP

I was owned by a corgi for almost 16 yrs, she was a real sweetie when she wanted to be,could be snappy about food or having to move when she did not want to,she moulted like mad, and was not keen on children,but if i ever have the chance to have a corgi again i would,

14. kirksandallchins

kirksandallchins PetForums VIP

I owned a Pembroke when I lived on the South Coast about 15 years ago and she was gorgeous, good natured, easy to train and not yappy. She loved food and I was forever putting her on a diet. She moulted twice a year, but it came out easly with a rake ype brush.

Inearly got another last year - there is a breeder in Rotherham who had two older pups and was willng to let me have one. However one died suddenly just before I went to have a look and she understandably decided she could not part with "mine".

15. nicola1980

nicola1980 PetForums Member

They do shed LOTS!
    My gran has one they are a big dog on little legs.

16. CarolineH

CarolineH PetForums VIP

I have had two corgis, well bred from a show breeder who has long since retired. They were both adorable and grew up with my two (then very young) daughters with whom they were the best of friends. Neither were snappy and both were very trainable. Still a favourite breed of mine though of course, individuals can vary just as they can in any breed.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice