Welcome!

Welcome to PetForums, the UK's most popular and friendly pet owners community. Please 'Sign Up' if you'd like to take part and contribute to our forum.

Peeing for attention?

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by Acidic Angel, Jul 11, 2018.

1. Acidic Angel

Acidic Angel I am THAT person, sometimes...

I've not shown that I've been annoyed at her, though internally I have been a little bit a few times, but again I know dogs can sense feelings and emotions far better than we can so she may have picked up on that.

Side note and completely unrelated: Biting. Particularly hands and ankles... How could I combat this? She won't redirect to a toy I'd say 80% of the time, ignoring her and walking off doesn't work as she just follows and carries on. Telling her no doesn't work as obviously she doesn't understand this, plus it seems to spur her on further. I've seen people recommend 'yelping' as if you're a litter ate, which should tell her "Ow, that hurt! Please don't do that!" but if anything that makes her more eager to bite harder.

2. Sled dog hotel

Sled dog hotel PetForums VIP

Dogs should learn bite inhibition when in the litter with mum and littermates. Pups will bark, chase, bite in play and to instigate play
    and what should happen is that when an over zealous pup bites another one too hard and goes over the top, the bitten one yelps and the offending one should learn from this they have gone too far. some puppies though do not always learn bite inhibition when with litter mates for varying reasons, so for those the yelping can actually excite and hype them up more.

Pups tend to be worse in certain situations. Over excitement or over stimulation tends to make them worse and bite more.
    The more hyped up and excited and over stimulated they become the worse they tend to get and bite more still, some can get to a point where they almost lose the plot and will continue to bite more and more,

Another culprit that seems to make them bite more, is to get attention. just as pups chase and rough house in the litter in play and to instigate play, they will often do it to gain attention from owners too. Making eye contact and repeatedly saying no and any form of interaction is still a form of attention and can reward the behaviour, making them do it even more. So its imperative if it should be attention seeking that you don't reward the behaviour with any form of attention. What works often is to interrupt the behaviour with an ahh ahh, fold your arms and turn away, and as your turning say one word off and then stand still with your back to them looking away or up at the ceiling and stay put if you can. Repeated if necessary and giving them nothing most seem to have the penny drop eventually. If they do stop, ignore until your sure shes calmed down, and then call her to you get her to sit and reward the calm sitting behaviour with quiet praise and a treat, if you do this and stick to it and repeat as necessary then most eventually realise that bad bitey behaviour gets nothing, where doing as asked and being calm does.

Another cause of bad biting behaviour can be when they are over tired, it can get worse then too. Its vital that they have rest periods and wind down self amusement activities. Quite times with a chew or Kong are good, they learn then to self amuse and chewing is a wind down activity after which they tend to relax so if shes constantly on the go, and or doesn't have quite self amusement and wind down times, and if its something you don't do at the moment inbetween I would also try that too.

Another thing that often works when they start the hyper bitey behaviour is time out. Take them to another area, and leave saying nothing, give her awhile to calm down, then let her out but still ignore her for another minute or two to make sure shes calm. If she doesn't start again, call her to you get her to sit and reward the calm sitting behaviour with a treat, and quite praise/gentle fuss. If she starts again then repeat it and keep repeating it.

I would chose one method and stick to it and give that a good trial first, before moving on to another if necessary.

3. leashedForLife

leashedForLife PetForums VIP

rather than depend on the pup to wake me overnite when they're already in distress, or possibly the pup skips crying & just pees, I set my alarm for 3-AM each night until the pup is approx 15-WO - of course, that's assuming an 11-pm bedtime, & up at 7-AM, with the pup out to potty on leash as close to 11 as possible, & the only thing that delays my taking the pup out is emptying my own bladder.
    I don't brush my teeth, dress, etc - I go to the toilet, pull a robe or coat over my PJs, put shoes or boots on, & git out there.

I keep the shipping-crate beside my bed, where it serves as night-stand & holds my lamp, book, pup's leash, etc. // I set the alarm, we both go to sleep, & I get up when the alarm goes off, dress, & PICK UP THE PUP & CARRY them outside; carrying them shuts off the waterworks, if U ask them to toddle out on leash in the middle of the night, they will typically walk a few steps, squat, & widdle on the floor. :oops: . Oops.
    Carrying is safer!

Are all her potty-trips on leash?
    U need Pup to be leashed so that U can see how much she voids, liquid or solid, plus be close-enuf to deliver warm quiet praise verbally AS she goes, & immediately have a high-value tidbit under her nose as she stands from squatting - B4 she takes one step.
    Pups who void off leash often become shy eliminators, & heaven help U if U need a urine or stool specimen in future from a shy dog! :Hilarious . Chasing them around with a ladle is not effective. :Bag

I keep meat-based cat kibble in my pocket, & I've also been known to grab pre-bagged chilled tidbits from the 'frig on the way outside. ;)

- terry

4. Acidic Angel

Thank you such a thorough post, I've tried the ahh ahh and again it just makes her more excitable. She definitely gets worse when overtired, and this is when I usually settle her into her crate with a chew to give wind down time, and she usually falls asleep mid chew.

I'll see which method works best and try that one with her :)

Oh, I don't depend on her to wake me up. Overnight I still set alarms so she's out on a regular basis.

Tonight she has been very settled in her crate, despite her earlier protests.

She is not on lead when toileting as it simply encourages her to play instead, but as she only has the patio for now I am always by her side when she toilets and she is very warmly praised while toileting, and a treat given before she's even stood up so she knows its for toileting outside.

Lurcherlad and JoanneF like this.
  5. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

I’d be inclined to put plastic down on the floor next to my bed, put her bed down (cordoned off so she can’t wander). Close enough to lay my hand on her if she frets to comfort her.

She’s having a wobble in confidence so I would take the line of least resistance and get her settled again, then slowly wean her off a bit.

Use a baby gate on the kitchen door so she can see and hear you and give her a chew/kong while you’re busy. Give her attention when she’s settled and if she isn’t just calmly tell her “settle” and carry on.

Acidic Angel and leashedForLife like this.
  6. Blaise in Surrey

Blaise in Surrey PetForums VIP

If it’s any consolation, my staffie puppy was almost four months when I got him (he was a rescue) and the weeing was a nightmare. The worse day was when we had 31 wees on the kitchen floor (despite me taking him out every half-hour). I honestly thought there was something wrong with him, but it was just nervousness. Now, aged nine months, he’s pretty much the dream dog.

Acidic Angel likes this.
  7. Acidic Angel

I did think about putting plastic down tonight if she'd had issues again last night, as it turns out last night she settled into her crate as if nothing had happened and didn't make a sound until my alarm went off, as she seems to now recognise this means it's toilet time as well as when she wakes me up just before it(I'm setting alarms for every 2.5-3 hours depending on what she did when we went out). Though again, this morning she went from 3am which is when I woke up through to 7am when my fiance got home. I had an alarm set for 5.30am but when it went off she was snoring away, so I left her to sleep and just kept checking every 30 mins. She slept right through until my fiance walked in at 7am and he took her out.

As for the kitchen, it's all open plan so there is no door between the kitchen and living room. I've had to form a barricade consisting of a box and the side door for her crate to stop her running through to the kitchen. She really doesn't like this and jumps up at the barricade trying to get through, whining. I'm not sure if it's distressed or wanting attention, but it's not manic whining, just little whining noises sort of "under-her-breath" if that makes sense? Like, her mouth closed and just doing little whines.
    I try and wait until she has calmed down to come back through and as soon as I do she's on my legs, biting my ankles, etc. so I ignore her but she just doesn't calm down while I'm there. So I have had to start leaving the room, and it becomes quite a cycle because I reenter, ignore, she bites, I leave, and repeat. No eye contact, no words from me, no touching..
    Again, she wasn't interested in chews yesterday while I was doing stuff. I gave her a pizzle two days ago and she loved it! Spent over an hour working it on the patio with me and my fiance sat with her, I thought "Great! I can use this to my advantage!" and then yesterday she just dropped it when I moved so she could follow me.

Today she's started humping my legs too while outside, namely while I'm stood either ignoring her or stood blocking her path to the gate(as it needs to be netted because she can fit through it).

She's been perfectly fine today so far thankfully, minus when I have to leave her in the living room.
    She's currently, as I type, asleep in her crate with the door shut after a bath. She went digging in my flower pots and got covered in mud, cue her nightmare- A bath.
    Flower pots now moved round the front/side and off the patio. She was not best pleased about that as her favourite game was to look at me and bite the leaves as she did, and then completely ignore the "ahh ahh" and continue biting. So I started just moving her away silently without looking at her, which she thought was a very fun game and would run straight back.

Which is another thing, how the heck do I make baths a good thing?!
    We've found she prefers a bath to a shower, I think the shower scares her a bit because it's over her and it's noisy. But she still attempts to jump out so it takes two of us to bath a 9 week old pup, one to hold and reassure and one to wash and shampoo.

#27 Acidic Angel, Jul 12, 2018 at 10:46 AM
    Last edited: Jul 12, 2018 at 10:58 AM
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice