Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Pee-Proof Woodern shelves

Discussion in 'Rodents' started by Bryzak, Aug 12, 2009.

1. Bryzak

Bryzak PetForums Newbie

Hello again all

I finally got my girls to live together......

Only thing is my cage has 2 woodern shelves that at least one of them likes to pee on......

i heard that i can varnish them as long as the varnish has a low VOC.......

i bought some quick drying varnish with VOC 0.30 - 7.99%, i have not varnished the shelves yet and wanted to double check that the stuff is ok to use...... last think i want is to make my girls ill or worse........

if the varnish is no good anyone got any suggestions.......

Thanks in advance:smilewinkgrin:

2. alyssa_liss

alyssa_liss PetForums VIP

ive heard that you can get special paint , its normal bright colours like blue red yellow etc, because its usually used for childrens toys

3. Bryzak

Bryzak PetForums Newbie

think i saw that stuff in the shop when i bought the varnish and the stuff was called plasti-coat but it has a high VOC content......

4. Akai-Chan

Akai-Chan Banned

That'll be non toxic paint :) To be honest I wouldn;t bother with wooden shelves. I do have one that my hammie likes to pee on which I just wash down every week with boiling diluted bleach water which helps a lot and means it doesn;t smell. So long as it it scrubbed properly and washed off with clean water it should be fine :)

Peace
    Akai-Chan

5. Bryzak

Bryzak PetForums Newbie

sorry hun

non-toxic the varnish or plasti-coat?

6. cassie01

cassie01 PetForums VIP

you could cover them in something else such as tiles or cardboard and just change it regually. you could also try to toilet training them. that way you wouldnt have to worry about it at all

7. Akai-Chan

Akai-Chan Banned

I meant non toxic paint :p I don't know about varnish etc, I personally wouldn't use either varnish or plasti-coat. If you give it a good scrub down every week properly it should be ok

Otherwise, lino is good to cover it with:)

Peace
    Akai-Chan

8. rainbow.nicola

rainbow.nicola PetForums Member

Hi,

The cage i bought also has two wooden shelves, i have put some cardboard on the shelves and it seems to have stopped my little hammy peeing on them.

9. zany_toon

zany_toon PetForums VIP

Can't you try a bit of vinyl stapled to the shelf??

10. MerlinsMum

MerlinsMum PetForums VIP

Are we talking rats here?

If soooo.... in my experience there's not a great deal you can do. Whatever you paint on will be chewed off at some stage and all the sealing of the wood goes to pot then.

Soaking the shelves in a dilute solution of biological washing powder may help as the enzymes in this will tackle organic odours, but they will have to dry out after and you'd need to do it every week or so.

If it's not rats - then please accept my apologies :)

11. Lavenderb

Lavenderb PetForums VIP

Japlac or plastikote is good. I have heard lots of rat owners using this paint on wooden shelves and the cage itself. Just make sure you buy the child safe ones.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice