Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Pedigree v Moggies.

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by bobby7, Nov 20, 2012.

1. bobby7

bobby7 PetForums Senior

Apologies in advance if this is a silly question. I've kept cats now for just over 20 yrs and have always had moggies and apart from Jess who died from fiv complications they've all lived a fairly long life. I've had Mouse (birman)now for 7 yrs. She's always been a bit of an odd cat, poor appetite, couldn't care less attitude and never one to seek attention. Over the last 2 days she has become even more withdrawn and quiet, still drinking but hardly eating anything. Nothing majorly worrying comes to mind but more pronounced behaviour (hope that makes sense). I was always told that pedigrees age quicker than moggies and if this could be just old age catching up with her, She's 10 in March. I'm going to try different wet food tonight and raw chicken breast to see if that perks her up if not a visit to the vet on Friday. Any thoughts.

2. merlin12

merlin12 PetForums VIP

Visit the vet inmediately. Cats go downhill very quickly, atleast let him reassure you that there is nothing wrong.

3. lymorelynn

lymorelynn UN Peacekeeper in training
    Staff Member

I don't know that there's necessarily any aging difference between moggies and pedigrees. I would take Mouse to the vets as soon as you can - it's always a good idea to have a check up if you're concerned about any change. Not eating is a worry. It could be a dental problem

4. buffie

buffie Mentored by Meeko

I agree with the above,I would make an appointment at your vets as soon as possible,certainly before Friday.The fact that your cat has become withdrawn and quiet and not eating much is a worrying combination ,something that needs to be checked out .
    As lynn says I'm not aware of any real difference between moggies and pedigree's as far as aging goes.

5. spid

spid PetForums VIP

Mouse is obviously not well - but because she's a cat not because she's a pedigree. I used to get the Birman mag every quarter and there were plenty of stories of Birman's reaching over 20 years old. Vets for the poor little mite.

6. messyhearts

messyhearts PetForums VIP

Ten is very young for a Birman & she doesn't sound like the typical Birman personality. It sounds like she is an unwell kitty. :(

7. bobby7

bobby7 PetForums Senior

Thanks for all the advice, well shes been to the vets and bloods taken and had a full 'mot' and I'm delighted to say shes been given a clean bill of health. I think maybe shes just been having a few off days. Shes back to her usual moody self.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice