UK Pet Forums Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Both my boys get a Dentastick once a day to keep their teeth in good condition, but I'm starting to wonder if they're worth it? They gobble them down in literally two minutes flat and I don't really see how they can be really helping their teeth if it hardly takes them any time to eat. Do you think they're just a con to get people to spend a lot of money on what's basically a big dog treat? I don't want to waste my money if that's the case... can anyone recommend anything else to keep their teeth healthy? :confused1:

G

·
Rawhide, takes ages to chew and helps to get the tartar and plaque of their teeth. 100 % natural. Dentastix have rubbish in them, derivatives etc. Rawhide are cheap, good for dogs teeth, and last longer xxx

G

·
Ive always fed rawhide...no problems. Its cooked bones that are dangerous...they splinter. The vet recommended rawhide for my greyhound who had bad tartar build up and it worked and she loved it.

Each to their own x

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Timber choked on rawhide once, I thought he was going to die and it absolutely terrified me, so I won't give that to either of them, too scared! :( I will start giving them bones and carrots I think, great ideas! Thanks folk :)

·
Registered
17,498 Posts
My dog gets carrots or these Antos natural chews (photo below, he gets a crocodile or a hedgehog). I don't give rawhide as it makes him ill. I think the retriever in him always make him want to eat things quite quickly. He isn't stupid with it, but apparently rawhide swells up in the stomach and he is frequently sick when he has it so its a no no for us.

G

·
Oh god!! I have heard all these bad stories about rawhide but never had a prob!! Put me off feeding it now!! Might stick with carrots as they enjoy them xxx

·
Registered
17,498 Posts
Oh god!! I have heard all these bad stories about rawhide but never had a prob!! Put me off feeding it now!! Might stick with carrots as they enjoy them xxx
If your dogs like them and are good with them I wouldn't worry too much, the problem with mine was when the rawhide went soft as he'd try to swallow massive chunks when that happened then be sick for the next four hours when his belly rejected it!

I've heard similar stories with pigs ears, but apparently those don't swell or something when wet, Rupert did love those but as with rawhide I wouldn't leave him along with one in case he did choke.

Forgot to say, he also gets Fish4Dogs fish fingers:

·
Registered
9,035 Posts
I stopped giving ours Dentastix for the same reason - one gulp and they're gone. No way can they have been cleaning their teeth! I now give ours a raw knuckle bone about twice week. They're cheap (bag of 10 for a couple of quid from the local butcher), keeps them occupied for ages, keeps their teeth really white, clean and free of tartar and plaque - and they love 'em! :D

Rawhide is dangerous - I'd never let our have anything rawhide.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
It was terrifying, he couldn't breath and every time I tried to get near him he'd lunge for me, and this dog is the soppiest thing you've ever seen, wouldn't hurt a fly, he was just so panicked and scared. I couldn't stop crying even after he was okay! He came to me for a massive cuddle afterwards to say sorry :(

·
Registered
16,645 Posts
There are some horror stories out there about rawhide, but, to be honest unfortunately they are true. Can cause huge problems as they dont always break down as they should - have a look at one that a dog has chewed and they are just a soggy mess, sometimes they then swallow as it is and this then gets stuck in the intestines, know someone who lost a dog as it choked on a rawhide chew :( so as you say you would be better off with the carrots :thumbup:

G

·
Oh dear god!! Me thinks my dogs aren't going to be happy.....as I don't feel safe feeding rawhide anymore!!

Bring on the carrots!! xx

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
If your dogs like them and are good with them I wouldn't worry too much, the problem with mine was when the rawhide went soft as he'd try to swallow massive chunks when that happened then be sick for the next four hours when his belly rejected it!

I've heard similar stories with pigs ears, but apparently those don't swell or something when wet, Rupert did love those but as with rawhide I wouldn't leave him along with one in case he did choke.

Forgot to say, he also gets Fish4Dogs fish fingers:
Thanks Tinsley, all your suggestions have been great and the pics definitely helped! Some Rep coming your way :D

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Oh dear god!! Me thinks my dogs aren't going to be happy.....as I don't feel safe feeding rawhide anymore!!

Bring on the carrots!! xx
Don't mean to put you off hun I'm sure most dogs are fine but due to my terrible experience it really put me off and scared me :(

·
Registered
17,498 Posts
Thanks Tinsley, all your suggestions have been great and the pics definitely helped! Some Rep coming your way :D
Haha yayyyyy rep :D

They are a bit smelly those fish fingers, but they are really crunchy and help get to his back teeth, doesn't take him ages to eat but he likes them and they seem to do good! Those Antos things you can get in tooth brush shapes but I don't bother I just get hedgehogs or crocodiles, they seem a bit cheaper! Think I pay 99p for a crocodile and £1.19 for a hedgehog, but he only gets one once a week or so so not too bad! Think they are made out of vegetables, they take him a few mins to gobble down :)

ETA: just had a google and you can get mini toothbrushes in a tub (the Antos ones) might be better value, but not sure how small they are! Some on Ebay too:
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Dog-Chews-Ant...upplies_Dogs&hash=item3a5a388739#ht_746wt_759

·
Registered
4,659 Posts
Mine get Fish4Dogs sea jerky but I don't think anything beats raw meaty bones. :)

1 - 20 of 41 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.