Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Pedigree Cats

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by shamykebab, May 9, 2010.

1. shamykebab

shamykebab PetForums VIP

Just an odd Sunday afternoon thought...

For those of you with pedigree cats, do you let them out? If not, why not - are there lots of factors involved other than theft? And (final question!) how common is theft of pedigrees?

Bit of a random thread, I know! :)

2. Miss.PuddyCat

Miss.PuddyCat PetForums VIP

I dont have predigree cats at the moment but I plan on to in the future. They would be strictly indoor cats just like my mixed breeds. Theres alot of factors as to why I do/would keep them inside.

3. purrlover

purrlover PetForums Senior

well were i live the is a lot of heavy traffic about , plus some not very nice people that will think of injuring cats just for fun so i think its best to keep my cats indoors ,having said that its each to there own and i fully understand people that say cats should be let out ... my babes have an outside run to use when the weather is nice so they do get some fresh air
    julie x

4. messyhearts

messyhearts PetForums VIP

I have two & a third on the way...

I do not let them out for LOTS of reasons which include:
    they don't get run over
    they don't get stolen
    they don't get abused by idiotic humans
    they don't get into fights with other cats
    they don't get lost
    they don't get nearly as many diseases or viruses
    they don't get as many injuries
    they don't pointlessly kill wildlife for fun
    they don't annoy the neighbours by pooing in their flower bed.

On one of the clubs it was reported that someone this week who has a Maine Coon & allowed it outside in the back garden securely discovered him stolen.

5. Dally Banjo

Dally Banjo PetForums VIP

They are hopeless at playing with traffic & we live near a very busy road so none of them can get out of the yard :)

Years ago when I got my old MC I lived in Newcastle & at the time there was alot of "Dog Baiting" going on so a large cat would have been a good target for those types of empty heads :mad: & with MC being such friendly cats easily caught :rolleyes:

He did go out in the house I lived at which was a very quiet area with back to back gardens & the last house we cat profed the garden so he could'nt get out, saying that he never went very far anyway but that may just have been him :) Just not taking the chance with Louie or the pensioners,

6. hobbs2004

hobbs2004 PetForums VIP

In all fairness though, all the reasons given so far also apply to moggies; not just to pedigree cats (unless of course you are saying that moggies are better at evading thieves because there are some really fantastic looking moggies out there; better at evading cars; better at evading humans who which them ill; better able to get to know the neighbourhood; better able to avoid that vicious tom from next door etc) :D

7. $hAzZa

$hAzZa Shan

Apparently pedigree cat's don't adapt well to the outdoors as most of the breeds are so laid back and unaware to the dangers. Having an outside pen is the next kindest thing:)

8. $hAzZa

$hAzZa Shan

IMO I think pedigree's are spoilt rotten and too sheltered from what's going on from the outside:thumbup:

Not that it's a bad thing:)

9. Dally Banjo

:thumbup: Yes I should have said all the rules apply to my lot :D It was more a case of after paying £'s for a cat thinking more about hmmmmmmmmmm should they be roaming free :rolleyes: & after Scutter arrived home with either an air pellet hole through his ear :mad: or he had self harming ;) & we had moved house it was'nt as safe so stoped them getting out of the garden, it did'nt stop other cats droping in though :rolleyes:
    & when I moved over here Feline Leukemia was rife so better in doors for this lot anyway :D

10. colliemerles

colliemerles PetForums VIP

i have two pedigree cats, they are indoor cats .As said above there are to many risks to let them off out alone, :)

11. hobbs2004

hobbs2004 PetForums VIP

But isn't it more the case that once they have wormed themselves into your heart, you don't want anything to happen to them - irrespective of whether you got them for free, for £50 or for a whack of money? Irrespective of whether they are pedigrees, moggies or a Sphinx cat :)lol:)?

12. Dally Banjo

Yes it was just what me stop & think & you know I have brain malfunctions from time to time :D

13. Miss.PuddyCat

Miss.PuddyCat PetForums VIP

This is from another post I did awhile ago

There are so many risks to letting your cats outdoors like

- hit by cars (sometimes on purpose)
    - being attacked by someones dog
    - Being attacked by a larger wild animal
    - Getting in cat fights
    - Catching srsly bad illness's from wild animals
    - Eating something they shouldnt
    - Hurting/killing wildlife such as birds
    - People trapping them and taking them to the pound
    - People who think its " fun " to srsly harm or kill them
    - Them getting stuck somewhere they cant get out
    - Getting lost
    - Being catnapped
    - Shitting in peoples gardens
    - Causing trouble to near by people
    - Attacking other peoples pets
    - Here if they are picked up by animal control you can be charged
    - In winter can get frost bite
    - May get dehydrated in the summer if they cant get to water
    - May be srsly harmed by natural weather outside

14. Nicky10

Nicky10 PetForums VIP

I don't have a pedigree cat but should be getting one soon. I'll be building a pen in the garden for it but it won't be allowed to roam free. Why? Every outdoor cat I've known has gotten killed or injured would I want to expose my cat to that no. Why would I put something I love in harms way deliberately in some mistaken notion that they are wild animals and need to go out. I wouldn't let a moggie out either you cross 2 breeds it doesn't miraculously become a wild smart car savvy animal

15. Aurelia

Aurelia PetForums VIP

Rilly is absolutely an indoor cat. We probably go overboard to keep it this way to be honest. But for no amount of money would I let her outside, I love her too much to see any harm come to her.

I also encourage birds to my garden, and have lots of feeders outside my office window. She loves sitting on that windowsill every morning for her days entertainment while warming up in the morning sunshine. I'd hate to lose the birds as well, so another reason not to let her out :lol:.

She was also bred as an indoor pet, and I don't think she has ever been outside. So what she doesn't know she can't miss. Even if we lived in the middle of no where and there were no roads to pose a risk ... I think I would still keep her indoors.

She has the run of a huge house so is perfectly happy. Lots of toys to play with and a dog to torment :lol:

There are worse hings to do to a cat ... like have them declawed :eek6:.

Most importantly, even if she wasn't a pedigree, I would still do things the same. Money is not the issue, it's the love I have for my girl. It would break my heart (literally I believe) to see any harm come to her.

16. billyboysmammy

billyboysmammy PetForums VIP

I have

2 (soon to be 3) pedigrees
    3 moggies (one is a long term foster waiting for the right special home)

None of my cats really go outside. Colin will occasionally - she is a houdini. However she will literally panic, then run to the back of the house and literally scream to be let in.

I have lots of reasons for not letting my cats out...

1 - traffic
    2 - coat care (I have a persian and a cornish rex - neither are really adapted to going outside)
    3 - my cats, therefore my poo and my responsibility for ensuring it doesnt upset the neighbours.
    4 - no risk of infections from outside cats
    5 - no risk of getting trapped somewhere
    6 - no risk of getting lost
    7 - no risk of getting attacked by the neighbourhood bully cats
    8 - jazz is at the moment unneutered (going in for investigatory surgery and neutering soon, as his testicles are undecended), but i wouldnt risk an unplanned litter!
    9 - health conditions - luna my persian has a blood disorder amongst other things
    10 - I love my garden birds, i wouldnt want to risk them to the mercy of my cats
    11 - luna has a white nose... risk of cancer when exposed to sunlight.

ooh i cant think of anymore at the moment but if you give me time i probably will.

17. ellie8024

ellie8024 PetForums VIP

i have 1 pedigree cat and 3 moggies at the minute and mine only go out when i am in the garden with them. My little Muffin loves to walk to the bin shelter with me when i take the rubbish out. or if its nice i sit in the garden and play with the cats but i dont let them out unsupervised. Muffin isnt a pedigree but she is so affectionate and a very pretty girl that i would be terrified that someone would steal her

18. shamykebab

shamykebab PetForums VIP

Thanks for the replies everyone, interesting food for thought. I just got wondering when I noticed that where I live all the cats that you see outdoors are moggies, whilst the pedigrees are only seen through the windows.

I guess I'm pretty lucky to be living in a feline-friendly neighbourhood (no sickos poisoning cats here, touch wood), but if circumstances were to change I wouldn't hesitate in adapting mine to being indoor moggies :).

19. messyhearts

messyhearts PetForums VIP

It's kids you have to be weary of too. I have overheard a couple of them in our area talk about trying airguns & we live in a good neighbourhood.

20. Aurelia

Aurelia PetForums VIP

Shamy, that's the thing. If you're going to have indoor cats I believe they should be indoor from day one. If they have been outside they know what's out there, and I think it would be torture to keep them indoors after that.

It's one of those decisions you have to make before collecting a new kitten IMO, and stick to it either way. Obviously if things have to change for another reason that's a bit different. But for me, if I had outdoor cats, and there was suddenly a new danger for them out there, I would move to somewhere safer rather than begin restricting their known freedom, if that makes sense.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice