UK Pet Forums Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3,347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Are Peas and Sweetcorn safe to give dogs.
Does anyone give their dogs peas and sweetcorn mixed in with their food either regularly or occasionally?
Thanks x

·
Registered
17,365 Posts
Most veg are fine; just avoid onions and raw potatoes. I have heard tomatoes aren't reccomended. For fruit avoid grapes and avocado, and the pips of apples, pears etc.
Why avoid the pips of apples???

If you are worried about the nasty poison they contain, then don't be. Its not worth worrying about. For a dog, or human to be poisoned by apple pips then the consumption of apples would have to be a ridiculous amount in one sitting, it would not be possible, not in a lifetime.

Back to peas, frozen peas were jackpot treat for may old dog Poppy. Of course, only really used at home and short walks, and in autumn winter time. Every time the freezer was open she was there, hoping and praying she would get a pea...well she did sit nicely!

·
Registered
11,647 Posts
Sweet corn is a vegetable I never add to my dogs meals because it doesn't get digested and comes out the other end looking exactly the same as it did when it went in!

They are given peas on a regular basis as both of the dogs like them and I'll often chuck in a few squashy tomatoes in with their veggie mix.

One of their favourite breakfasts is sardines in tomato sauce and scrambled eggs.

·
Registered
20,750 Posts
Bungo has peas in his food daily.

·
Registered
39,811 Posts
I never give mine sweet corn but they do have peas either cooked or raw mixed in with their meals sometimes. I do mash or pulp them though, mainly because Nan wont eat whole peas for some reason known only to herself, and any Ive missed pulping or mashing she will always leave just those whole in the bottom of the bowl.

Reactions: MiffyMoo

·
Registered
15,185 Posts
My dogs eat all vegetables bar onion and avocados.

The only caveat I would make with sweetcorn is if the dogs like it and they often do, they may be attracted to corn on the cob which, when swallowed, can pose a serious health risk as they often cause a blockage.

Tomatoes are perfectly safe to feed and indeed my dogs regularly have sardines/pilchards and mackeral in tomato sauce.

A dog is more likely to die from bloat after consuming the amount of apples required to provide the number of pips required to pose even the vaguest issue to a dog of any si\e; I often find it peculiar why this is often raised on the internet along with the warning "peach and apricot pits should not be given to dogs" O really? And I was just about to feed him one after he had a few cigarettes and a martini...................

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.