Welcome!

Welcome to PetForums, the UK's most popular and friendly pet owners community. Please 'Sign Up' if you'd like to take part and contribute to our forum.

Peanut butter and the runs

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by Mirandashell, Jan 26, 2018.

1. Mirandashell

Mirandashell Banned

Can peanut butter cause a runny bum in dogs? I gave George some in a Kong yesterday as he was really restless and ripping up stuff and nicking treats out of the kitchen cupboard. The only thing he had that he hasn't had before is the PB.

So I don't know if I gave him too much PB or whether it is was that on top of the carrot, the bull bit and the cow tendon that he also had in the space of about an hour.

His poo looked like chicken korma sauce.

Sharonloumac likes this.
  2. Mirandashell

Mirandashell Banned

He's really hungry, bless him, cos he didn't eat this morning's tinned slop. Although there's nothing unusual in that. He quite often leaves it for a couple of hours.

So I've just given him boiled chicken chunks in plain rice. He's absolutely nomming it down. Don't half make a mess though!

3. Teddy-dog

Teddy-dog PetForums VIP

It doesn't give our 3 (parents whippets included) funny tummies as they have it in kongs during the day. But I did try and give them primula the other day as a change and that gave Teds a bit of a runny poo :confused: If he doesn't have PB that often maybe it's just the sudden change?

4. Mirandashell

Mirandashell Banned

Yeah, I think you could be right. I'll get him back to normal and then try him with a little bit. If it affects him again, I'll just throw it out. Which will be a shame as he loves the stuff..

5. Blackadder

Blackadder PetForums VIP

Lots of fat (mostly veg oil) in Peanut Butter, almost 50% in some brands. It can have a laxative effect..... as you've noticed :)

lullabydream likes this.
  6. Mirandashell

Mirandashell Banned

Ahhh.... I see. I expect that was it then. Well, that's that in the bin!

7. Blackadder

Blackadder PetForums VIP

Actually I was slightly wrong.... just looked at the Tesco PB I have in the cupboard, it's 52% Peanut/palm oil!

8. Sled dog hotel

Sled dog hotel PetForums VIP

As peanut butter assuming its the regular one is full of fat and sugar, then that could be why. High fat content can set some dogs off stomach wise and high sugar can give them a sugar rush. Might have just been way too much especially on top of all the other stuff.

Some peanut butter can have artificial sweetner in too the dangerous one is xylitol, in dogs it causes a rush of insulin which in turn causes their blood sugar to dip drastically and can make them very ill and can be fatal.

Magyarmum and pennyLokiMUM like this.
  9. Mirandashell

Mirandashell Banned

Ah! I didn't realise it had so much sugar in it. I should have read the label.

10. Mirandashell

Mirandashell Banned

I've just checked and it's the SunPat brand. It says 94% peanut but they are pretty oily in themselves, aren't they? It also contains cane sugar.

11. Blackadder

Blackadder PetForums VIP

Standard Sunpat smooth per 100 grams....

Energy 2528kJ/610kcal
    Fat 48.8g
    of which saturates 9.6g
    Carbohydrate 14.7g
    of which sugars 7.0g
    Fibre 7.2g
    Protein 24.4g
    Salt 1.25g

Sled dog hotel likes this.
  12. Mirandashell

Mirandashell Banned

Oh yes, that's a lot of fat. Bless him, he really loved it but he won't be getting any more.

13. Teddy-dog

Teddy-dog PetForums VIP

We only tend to put a bit in the kong (not fully stuff it) with a large biscuit and then freeze it. So they don't get lots of it at once but it's frozen so takes them a while to eat.

14. Mirandashell

Mirandashell Banned

I think that's the mistake I made. I didn't fill it but there was a fair amount in there.

15. Westie Mum

Westie Mum PetForums VIP

Yep, comes out about the same consistency as it goes in with mine :eek:

I fill kongs with normal tinned dog food (squash it down well with a teaspoon so it’s properly packed) and then freeze them. Normal food doesn’t upset their tums, frozen makes them last longer ;)

Sharonloumac and Sled dog hotel like this.
  16. Mirandashell

Mirandashell Banned

George doesn't like the Kong frozen. I think he doesn't like his tongue sticking to it! I have filled it with his wet food quite often but he's often not that bothered with it. So finding something tastier helps keep him occupied. He does like plain Greek yoghurt and that seems not to affect his stomach. He also love Primula but he only gets a squeeze of that.

Sharonloumac likes this.
  17. Westie Mum

Westie Mum PetForums VIP

Take it out the freezer and leave it to defrost for 15-20 mins before you give it him. This stop sticking tongues .....

I tend to use the stinkier fish wet foods to fill kongs. But that said, mine aren’t fussy, they will eat anything!

Sharonloumac likes this.
  18. Burrowzig

Burrowzig PetForums VIP

Better brands of peanut butter with no added salt or sugar are Whole Earth and Suma. Ground peanuts, nothing else.

19. Mirandashell

Mirandashell Banned

He still had a really runny tummy yesterday so he's still on rice. I'll see what he's like on his next walk.

20. thatbullieboy

thatbullieboy PetForums Newbie

Well that did make me laugh, especially as I'm completely with you with the Korma!!!
    My experience of Peanut Butter in a Kong was my white EBT started chewing him paws like a maniac (OK, He really is a maniac!!). Last time he was getting PB!
    Oh and the carrots: we give our dog home cooked meals (meat,veg, bit of rice). Noticed this week that his yeasty itchy ear came back, around the time we added carrots to his dinners. No more carrots for our boy!
    Noticing what other posters are mentioning about the artificial sweetners. Avoid like the plague! I used PeaMutt Butter (pets at home). No added sugar or salt. Yeah, by its very nature its very rich in fat, and that sorta explains the Korma.
    Haven't tried to stuff a Kong with wet foods since, and can't see myself filling it with fish, but have got a great big folder of 'Kong Fillings' from Pinterest and good ol' Youtube.
    I hope your boy's back to his 'regular' ol' self now. x

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice