UK Pet Forums Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, Sully's vet bills are getting expensive, just recently a course of antibiotics for £65 and on Friday it will be £176 for neuturing and teeth extraction, a work friend of my OH pointed out that she got antibiotics for just £5 from PDSA and that my OH and I are eligible for PDSA treatment, is this something I should consider?

·
Registered
12,925 Posts
depends really
could you afford a dog and all the related health care when you got him and now you have fallen on hard times

they didnt 'cost' her £5, she donated £5 towards the cost of his treatment and antibiotics that day, it would have gone nowhere near what it had 'cost' the charity.

personally I feel I cannot support the PDSA anymore, I used to take them many boxes full of items they needed (the put a sign up outside) but the one pedigree rule I feel is short sighted and wrong.

·
Registered
8,888 Posts
If you're having a tough time sure, it is donation basis though so as babycham says not 'just £5', I would ask them how much the drugs actually cost and try to give that amount personally (we know vets add lots on themselves). Have you taken out insurance?

G

·
If you qualify then yes go but as said £5 doesnt come close to the true cost. Couple of my friends take their staffys there. And wouldnt of got the treatment they needed without them. I use vets4pets even tho i qualify for pdsa. I dont like using a charity unless its a last resort

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah we have insurance, this time next year we will be able to cover these simple costs but things are difficult at the moment, I'm out of work (anxiety and panic attacks most of my life) but thanks to Sully I've gained the confidence to go back except I can't do anything about that until his separation anxiety is sorted, we have alot of extra expense with helping out our family's, just had to lend OH's dad £100 and we are spending a small fortune on travel costs to go to my Mum's to help her out as she has dystonia, we have also been given the responsibility of Christmas dinner for alot of people! It's all a friggin nightmare right now, there is a light at the end of the tunnel but it's a bloody fight to get there.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If you qualify then yes go but as said £5 doesnt come close to the true cost. Couple of my friends take their staffys there. And wouldnt of got the treatment they needed without them. I use vets4pets even tho i qualify for pdsa. I dont like using a charity unless its a last resort
I hate to say I think we might be at last resort time, I hate the idea of using charity but with so many people relying on us right now I don't see another way, I hate this situation.

·
Registered
8,888 Posts
I hate to say I think we might be at last resort time, I hate the idea of using charity but with so many people relying on us right now I don't see another way, I hate this situation.
Everyone needs help now and again, so long as you've exhausted methods there's absolutely no shame in charity, it's there for a reason and I'm sure when you hit better times you'll remember it and you can make a donation or something. :)

·
Registered
3,302 Posts
As someone who donates to PDSA - I would be happy to know that the money was spent on helping someone's pet whose owner was on hard times.

So yes, if you cant afford treatment and your pet needs it, you should go :D

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Everyone needs help now and again, so long as you've exhausted methods there's absolutely no shame in charity, it's there for a reason and I'm sure when you hit better times you'll remember it and you can make a donation or something. :)
I've already told my OH that if we do have to take this route then we will be setting up monthly donations when things are how they should be. I know these things can't be helped but when we got Sully we were confident we could cover all these costs, before I ever get another dog I'm going to set up a savings account, regardless of whether we think we can afford it this situation has shown me you just never know.

·
Registered
12,925 Posts
Then yes I believe you are in a situation where the charity could be of help to you while you are in genuine need

As far as I am aware neutering has a fixed cost within the PDSA but is greatly subsidised.
Give your local one a call and have a chat I would say.

Best of luck and I hope your health continues to improve

Vicki

·
Banned
19,241 Posts
Hi guys, Sully's vet bills are getting expensive, just recently a course of antibiotics for £65 and on Friday it will be £176 for neuturing and teeth extraction, a work friend of my OH pointed out that she got antibiotics for just £5 from PDSA and that my OH and I are eligible for PDSA treatment, is this something I should consider?
Do you receive housing benefit or council tax benefit? Are you in one of the PDSA catchment areas?

If the answer to any of the above is not yes, then the question does not arise as they will not see you.

Were I in your position I would tell all the people who have invited themselves for christmas dinner that you cannot afford to feed them and if they want to come they will have to make a donation.

·
Registered
4,436 Posts
I was with the PDSA for about 4 years, I took a 6 month career break which I saved for, but sadly turned into 2 year for family reasons - I couldn't work, then it took 2 years to build up the self employment enough to have a decent 'wage'. I found that if you pay anywhere near what things might cost, they get very funny with you. I paid £50 towards my Greyhound's dental because I wanted to pay as much as I could afford and their reaction was almost 'if you can afford to pay that much you don't belong here'. It was better when you could donate anonymously! In the end I just gave them a fiver like everyone else and put money in collection tins!

I also found that they were regularly an hour later with appointments, and although I was still entitled to treatment there up to April this year, I left about a year before that. I felt when you have to worry about fitting a 2 hour slot into your work day (because that's how long it took with travel) it was wrong to be there.

So, if you are entitled to treatment, and you need it, then take up their offer, but try not to stay longer than you need.

The one pedigree rule is a sham. If you get a second mongrel while you are registered with them, they'll allow that one. Yet my view is, if you can't afford the first one, for whatever reason, you shouldn't be entitled to a second. And I often saw people in there with second or third dogs. If they really wanted to save money they would only accept animals that already belonged to owners when they signed up. Sorry for the rant...

·
Banned
19,241 Posts
I was with the PDSA for about 4 years, I took a 6 month career break which I saved for, but sadly turned into 2 year for family reasons - I couldn't work, then it took 2 years to build up the self employment enough to have a decent 'wage'. I found that if you pay anywhere near what things might cost, they get very funny with you. I paid £50 towards my Greyhound's dental because I wanted to pay as much as I could afford and their reaction was almost 'if you can afford to pay that much you don't belong here'. It was better when you could donate anonymously! In the end I just gave them a fiver like everyone else and put money in collection tins!

I also found that they were regularly an hour later with appointments, and although I was still entitled to treatment there up to April this year, I left about a year before that. I felt when you have to worry about fitting a 2 hour slot into your work day (because that's how long it took with travel) it was wrong to be there.

So, if you are entitled to treatment, and you need it, then take up their offer, but try not to stay longer than you need.

The one pedigree rule is a sham. If you get a second mongrel while you are registered with them, they'll allow that one. Yet my view is, if you can't afford the first one, for whatever reason, you shouldn't be entitled to a second. And I often saw people in there with second or third dogs. If they really wanted to save money they would only accept animals that already belonged to owners when they signed up. Sorry for the rant...
What is the one pedigree rule supposed to prove anyway? Is it because of the ridiculous notion that they are not as healthy as a mongrel, or because they cost more? If the latter, what rule do they apply to the fancy designer crossbreeds which cost more than a pedigree in some cases? Do they class a labradoodle as a pedigree or not? Or any other of those sorts of dogs.

And what rule do they apply to pedigree cats?

·
Registered
8,888 Posts
What is the one pedigree rule supposed to prove anyway? Is it because of the ridiculous notion that they are not as healthy as a mongrel, or because they cost more? If the latter, what rule do they apply to the fancy designer crossbreeds which cost more than a pedigree in some cases? Do they class a labradoodle as a pedigree or not? Or any other of those sorts of dogs.

Is it ridiculous? :confused:

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Do you receive housing benefit or council tax benefit? Are you in one of the PDSA catchment areas?

If the answer to any of the above is not yes, then the question does not arise as they will not see you.

Were I in your position I would tell all the people who have invited themselves for christmas dinner that you cannot afford to feed them and if they want to come they will have to make a donation.
I've checked and we meet the criteria to be entitled, my family are on even harder times than me due to illness so I won't be asking them for a donation but I might tell my OH's family to contribute.

·
Registered
12,925 Posts

yes it does also apply to pedigree cats

no it doesnt apply to fancy crossbreeds
and yes it is due to the notion you mention

PDSA Vet Care - Changes To PDSA PetAid Hospital Service

also note the last quote
'91% of PDSA donors and supporters said that we are right to be concerned about the numbers and types of pets some people are acquiring and presenting for charitable treatment'

not sure that that equated to the changes that people had in mind when answering the question. I would imagine it was more like boredom busters comment about acquiring more animals when already in need of help

·
Premium Member
33,926 Posts
I think you have to prove your on benefits to be treated by the PDSA.

·
Registered
12,925 Posts

·
Banned
19,241 Posts
Is it ridiculous? :confused:
It certainly is in my experience, yes. Our first dog was a mongrel, accidental mating between a border collie/gsd and a retriever/some sort of terrier. He always had terrible problems with his anal glands, could never sit properly so I think he had a little bit of hip dysplasia, and despite being a size that should have lived longer, he died at the age of 11 from kidney failure.

Our second dog was a golden retriever, big dog for his breed. Never had a thing wrong with him till he was 12 when he developed a testicular tumour and was operated on. He lived to be fourteen and the only thing really wrong then was his legs had gone and he could no longer stand up.

Then there is Ferdie. The only time he was ever ill was when I lost Joshua. Joshua had arthritis at the age of only 16 months and it was the medication that ultimately caused his death. Arthritis cannot be tested for.

Unless you are referring to the dogs that have been bred out of all recognition and it has affected their health, like bulldogs, pugs, cavaliers, german shepherds, you take your chances no matter whether it is a pedigree or a mongrel.

The dogs that have had their health seriously affected by overbreeding are in the minority of breeds, not the majority.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.