Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Paying for written prescriptions from the vet, right or wrong?

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Izzysmummy, Feb 4, 2012.

1. Izzysmummy

Izzysmummy PetForums VIP

Hi all,

I went in to the vet to day to ask for a written prescription for Izzys advocate and droncit as I think it's probably cheaper to buy online. The receptionist said it cost £5.70 for a written prescription! Does this sound right? I didn't really expect to have to pay but maybe it's normal practise? :eek:

Does anyone else buy their medications online and can recommend a good website?

Thanks!

2. Souris

Souris PetForums Senior

Sounds about right. Some vets charge, and some do it for free- but on average it costs around the five pounds mark for a written prescription.

The vets up in Abedeen charged £4.50, and our current vets charges a wie bit more- around £7 if I remember rightly.

As for websites, the one time we ordered some baytril in bulk at the rescue centre, it came from Petmeds and they were fine at the time. Afraid I don't have much experience in ordering online!

3. babycham2002

babycham2002 PetForums VIP

yup my vets charge for a prescription £10 i think

4. gorgeous

gorgeous PetForums VIP

If I were a vet I would charge as time costs money! They have overheads and costs to pay, if they were to give every tom, dick and harry free written prescriptions they would be brassick!!:)

5. IndysMamma

IndysMamma PetForums VIP

ours charges £8ish but I found that they are same price or cheaper for most meds compared to online prices

they are also really good at pointing out alternatives even if they don't sell them - ie my fur family are going onto Billy No Mates flea/tick/lice and mite repellant as I hate using chemicals on my pets with my vets full support

instead of selling chondroitin tablets to us when my old dogs got mild arthritis we were told to add mussels/prawns/shrimp to their diet as they are natural sources

6. rocco33

rocco33 PetForums VIP

Don't forget that if you went to a doctor privately you would have to pay for a prescription. Even on the NHS doctors charge for a letter for certain things.

7. Sled dog hotel

Sled dog hotel PetForums VIP

Yes it is now normal practice and compared to some £5.70 isnt too bad tbh, different vets vary in different parts of the country but I have heard of double that fee and more.

A few years back they had to do it free of charge then they brought in that scripts are chargeable. There is no way out Im afraid but you should find that you will still make a saving, a lot do even with the script charge. My vets seem to charge what ever vet medic who I get mine from charge then at least double it usually more then that even.

8. bobbyw

bobbyw PetForums Senior

Yup, seems standard, but 5.70 sounds like a good price. I understand a charge as they are not state funded or a charity. Mine wants £10 for advocate prescription, but will only do a three month rather than six month!

9. dandogman

dandogman PetForums VIP

You shouldnt have to pay for a piece of paper.

You pay for your consoltation and they tell you what treatment is required you should be able to choose where you get it from.

10. momentofmadness

momentofmadness PetForums VIP

well you would think the vets would compete with the internet and lower the price..
    Surely it would be safer for people/pets in the long run.. ?

11. IndysMamma

IndysMamma PetForums VIP

the problem a lot of vets have is they can't order X Thousand boxes at a time - they are ordering small batches which means they are paying a higher price

some of these web compaies literally order 20,000 boxes of Drontal which price per unit is half or even lower what the vets pay for their batch of 200-300

Large practices/chain vets like Vets 4 Pets and Medivet *can* order in bulk and sell at a slightly lower price but 90% of practices are small/ 2-3 practices at most linked and simply cannot compete with the bulk buying market

my vets somehow keep their prices down a bit - they have 3 practices across the county and can semi bulk buy for things like wormers and flea treatment so although they are a touch more expensive than some websites - by time I've paid for the prescription and so on... it's cheaper to see my vet

12. Andromeda

Andromeda PetForums Senior

Hmm..

My vet then is expensive:

First prescription - £14.14

Subsequent prescription - £8.88

13. bobbyw

bobbyw PetForums Senior

True, but if you make an appointment at my vet for something like flea treatment that's prescription only, they don't charge you for a consultation, but it still takes up their time, so you're effectively paying the £10 fee for their time, otherwise it's time out of their day for nothing.

14. Izzysmummy

Izzysmummy PetForums VIP

Thats what I thought too but it seems its standard practise and it that my vets is actually a fairly reasonable price! I wasnt sure as sometimes our vet is a tad expensive, like when Izzy had her eye infection but the first lot of antibiotics they gave us didnt work so we had to go back and pay ANOTHER consultation fee (reduced rate but still £18)! But then we very rarely have to pay out of hours as they have weekend and evening surgeries so I guess it all balances out!

SDH you're right, its cheaper to pay the written prescription fee and buy the meds online, for a 6 month supply its £30 on vetuk but from our vets its £50 so with the prescription charge we can still save nearly £15! So with the money we save in a year I can treat her to the lovely ann rees collar Ive had my eye on but Tarnus keeps saying no to!;)

ETA; bobbyw we dont have to see a vet for our advocate prescription, the receptionist sells it over the counter.

#14 Izzysmummy, Feb 4, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 4, 2012
  15. bobbyw

bobbyw PetForums Senior

Oh okay, I guess if we were buying it direct from there we wouldn't have to see anyone, and we don't actually have to see anyone to get a prescription for it but I guess they still have to spend some time writin it so if they didn't charge they wouldn't make anything from the interaction.

I need to find a new vet I think though, if I'm paying so much for the paper, I don't want to go back in 3 months time!

If I paid for a consultation, and a prescription as well that would be annoying.

It's a minefield as all vets are so different, I think I need to change.

16. gesic

gesic PetForums VIP

Vets practices have huge overheads in order to provide you the client with a high standard of care you have come to expect.
    A prescription charge is not unreasonable as it does take a vets time up to write it.
    People are far to used to the NHS and forget that at the end of the day a vet needs to make a profit in order to exist. unfortunately a love of animals does not pay the bills.

17. newfiesmum

newfiesmum Banned

My vet charges £11 so close your purse quick before he changes his mind. Vets charge for everything, you should know that. You are not adding to his profits by buying your medication from him, so he has to make up for it somehow:D

Having said that, I think there is the same prescription charge whether you get it from them or not. It is a rip off, right left and centre. One vet we had once even charged an "injection charge" for actually giving the injection to our pony, as well as the drug that was in it.

18. newfiesmum

newfiesmum Banned

Actually, for Joshua I had the prescription printed out from Viovet's website, filled it in myself. All he had to do was check it and sign it. He still charged £11 though - I could get a celebrity autograph for that price.

19. Our main vet charges £16 which I think is a ridiculous charge. I can understand why they charge and wouldn't mind paying a fee but with that charge the med bill would have to be high for me to ask for a written prescription but then I'd probably claim on the insurance so wouldn't need to ask for one.

20. Our main vet charges £16 which I think is a ridiculous charge. I can understand why trhey charge and wouldn't mind paying a fee but with that charge the med bill would have to be high for me to ask for a written prescription

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice