UK Pet Forums Forum banner

Pawing...nails

1K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  Frollie 
#1 ·
As it's been so warm lately, I've been doing a lot of rapid fire chain commands to tire him out. Whenever he has to do paw in these commands I think he gets a bit too excited as his nails are out. It doesn't hurt but when he's pawed a few times I do find my hands start to itch and become quite uncomfortable. Any tips on how to encourage him to paw more gently?

#2 ·
Not sure if it was coincidence but once I'd taught Amber to hold her paw up by herself rather than putting it in my hand, she definitely became less inclined to scratch or thump her paw on me with quite the same enthusiasm!

Alternatively teach a paw target to an item or your leg/foot......assuming you are wearing trousers as a protective layer of course. :)

#4 ·
One of the main reasons you need to think very carefully about teaching paw, as fragile skin is easily damaged by nails.

Can you train him to paw a target other than yourself?
He can target pretty much anything with his paw so I'll just stick to that if there's no other way around it, thanks.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.