Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Paw Problems

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by Pepperswhiskers, Feb 28, 2017.

1. Pepperswhiskers

Pepperswhiskers PetForums Newbie

Hi, I am having trouble with my five year old whippets front right foot .Her name is Pepper. About two weeks ago she started limping, The foot quickly swelled up. I am immediately took her to the vets, they prescribed antibiotics anti-inflammatories and painkillers . After 3 days what formed was an abscess on the inside of her toe burst, lots of puss and blood came out and suddenly the toe went down and her walking improved massively. I took her back for a check up and they were very pleased with progressed and said as she was hardly limping to not worry about anymore antibiotics. However about 5 days later I noticed she was limping again (mainly on hard floors) I called the vets and sent photos of her foot through as she is terrified and gets herself extremely worked up even walking towards the building, I didn't want to stress her out unnecessarily. They prescribed a 10 day course of more antibiotics , foot wash and anti inflammatories. This was last Friday she started the course. Her foot isn't getting any worse, my mum says it doesn't look as red or swollen but I can't see a difference. What's weird is there seems to be a small hole in the pad, it's clean and looks like there's nothing in it. (Obviously I can't be 100% sure of this) I would just like to ask some advice on what you think it could be. She is keeping off it as much as possible, I'm keeping it clean and not letting her lick or get at it in any way. My friend with a whippet says her dog has suffered with corns in the past and it looks similar. She suggested maybe waiting until Thursday and calling the vet with an update if I still see no improvement. Or should I wait completely until she course is over on Monday next week to contact the vets. She is completely herself, eating , toileting, trying to run around like crazy like whippets do. It's just this limping because it's the obviously uncomfortable. & I can't take her for normal walks because of it.
    The story is pretty long and I've probably missed parts out so please feel free to ask me any questions. I just want some advice . Thank you in advance !
    Jamie x

Attached Files:

2. Sled dog hotel

Sled dog hotel PetForums VIP

I know greyhounds and whippets for some reason do seem to be prone to corns so that could be a possibility, obviously you would need to take her to the vet to get them to have a good look and confirm if it might be a corn or what else might be going on otherwise.

Only other thoughts is that sometimes if you get a grass seed in the foot especially one of the barbed type ones, they enter disappear and migrate and cause problems in other areas. If they enter between the toes for example they have been know to travel up and cause a problem further up. So I'm wondering if she could have a foreign body something like a grass seed thorn or something else and that's causing infection. If there is something in it, antibiotics would likely work whilst she is on them, but once she has finished them if there is still something in it, it could then re-set up infection again, so that may be a possibility even. Maybe the hole in the pad could even be the entry point where something has gone into the foot, especially if that's the toe the abcess previously formed on?

Does the area and that part of her foot feel hot or hotter then the surrounding areas? If there is redness and it feels hot often that's a sign that infection is still present.
    If you really don't think there is improvement, and she has started to limp again on it in spite of the medication, then it sounds like you will have to take her back and get the vet to look at it again.

Lurcherlad likes this.
  3. Pepperswhiskers

Pepperswhiskers PetForums Newbie

Well she's been limping the whole time since she was given the antibiotics and up till now. She's slightly limping indoors but when she's on harder ground it's a lot more noticeable.
    Just felt both feet and they are a normal temperature.
    I think it's probably wise to give the tablets until Thursday to make a difference, then make an appointment at the vets for Friday? They said they'll probably have to sedate her to have a proper look and flush it all out. Everything you've said makes sense, and has also gone through my mind . I know there's no way of telling until the vet can have a proper look really.

Thank you xx

Lurcherlad and Sled dog hotel like this.
  4. rona

rona Still missing my boys

I would guess a rather large blackthorn thorn which is gradually decomposing inside the foot

Sled dog hotel likes this.
  5. Twiggy

Twiggy PetForums VIP

That would also be my guess. When my sister was staying, years ago now, one of her bitches started limping but we couldn't see anything so we took her to my vet. He scraped at the pad and out shot a thorn and a lot of pus. I clearly remember my sister almost fainting when my vet told her there was no charge for first aid.....!!

rona likes this.
  6. tantrumbean

tantrumbean PetForums Senior

Not sure if it's the same thing, but a few years ago, my terrier cut his paw on a piece of glass. It was quite a small cut, although it bled a lot and seemed to heal up fine. Then, he suddenly started limping again, but only on rough ground. He was fine in the house, fine on very smooth pavement, but as soon as it got slightly rough or bumpy, he limped. Took him to the vets and he said sometimes a wound can heal up but then fluid builds up on the inside. Basically, it's like walking on a bubble or blister. It doesn't bother them on a smooth surface, but really irritates as soon as it gets a bit rough. He was prescribed antibiotics and anti-inflammatories and we were told that hopefully, the fluid would be reabsorbed by the body, if not, they would have to open up his paw to drain it. Fortunately, after about a week on the meds he was absolutely fine and had no further problems.

Sled dog hotel and Lurcherlad like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice