Welcome!

Welcome to PetForums, the UK's most popular and friendly pet owners community. Please 'Sign Up' if you'd like to take part and contribute to our forum.

Paw pad troubles

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by wewo, Nov 8, 2018.

1. wewo

wewo PetForums Newbie

Hello!

My dog, for all of his life, has mostly been walked on pavement. Very recently we moved (hurrah!) into a house RIGHT next to a park; my dog is used to the park but it was quite a way away from the last house so we didn't go too often and now he has a lot of land to run over, which is great for him, but not too great for his health!

Hes so excited to go out every day that about 1 out of every four days my dog comes back with bloody pawpads. I can't get him to stop skidding on the grass. He doesn't do it all the time, we've moved away from paths and are completely out in the field but still, he skids when he chases after the ball. This has started to strip away the flesh on his pawpads leaving him bloody. Now, I have to wait a few days for him to heal... and its started this cycle where after the waiting days hes SO, SO much more excited by the park that he always skids now. And always get bloody.

What can I do about this? :( I hate keeping him in because his pawpads are razed off by his own skidding along. It isn't the main part of his paws, its the little paw pad up by the dew claws, on the 'wrist'.

Should I get kiddy sweat bands? Will they stay on? Bandage his arms every day before we go out?

Sort of lost on what to do. :( Thanks for any advice.

2. Sairy

Sairy PetForums VIP

How much ball-throwing do you do? I would limit it or get rid of it altogether if it is causing injury. There are lots of other games you can play that won't involve running fast and stopping suddenly. Continuous ball-throwing is not great for their joints either, again due to the running quickly and stopping suddenly (and often skidding and turning awkwardly as they do so). My girl loves her ball, but I will only throw it a few times as a reward on a walk and then it goes away again.

You could try putting something on his feet to help protect them, although if he is skidding a lot you might find that they come off anyway.

Jamesgoeswalkies and Torin. like this.
  3. Linda Weasel

Linda Weasel PetForums Senior

As above. Also, you can get protective boots for dogs.
    I think you might not be giving his paws long enough to heal and toughen up again.

4. planete

planete PetForums Senior

The pads being damaged are the stopper pads from your description. You can buy stopper pad protectors from various suppliers, have a look on eBay or Amazon. To stop them coming off wrap some self adhesive bandage around them. Sairy is quite right though in saying too much ball throwing is potentially damaging to the joints and tendons and should be done sparingly.

5. wewo

wewo PetForums Newbie

Most of our walks are just walking; he can injure himself on the first ball throw easy. We do do other activities outside but he doesn't injure himself on those ones.

But now I know that 'stopper pad protectors exist' I bought some immediately! :D

Will update how it goes!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice