Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Paw Injury

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by jackm1, Jul 24, 2009.

1. jackm1

jackm1 PetForums Newbie

Hi all. About 6-9 months ago my dog was trying to fight with another dog that was walking past, under our wooden gate (gap at the bottom). he came back up to me and looked at me with a sad look on his face and holding his paw up.. i went for a look at what had happened and it was bleeding. he was in lots of pain and kept licking it and feeling sorry for himself. he got taken to the vets, given some pills and sent home in a bandage. for about 2 weeks after we dressed it ourselfs after a salt water footbath.

that was then, 6-9 months down the mine and his paw still has not healed. inside his toes it is very dark, and altho there is no visible wound, there is always a bit of light pink skin that looks like the skin has come off or something, i dont know. my brother has stood on his paw a few times recently and he has yelped so loud, for a good 10 seconds, sometimes more. he has never done this apart from when he gets his sore paw stood on. he did it just now and yelped for a good 20 or so seconds, even when i was there with him giving him a big hug. it gets me down knowing he is in pain. what can i do :(

another thing. apart from when my brother is standing on it, he walks around on it fine, when we are out walking etc, dosent seem to bother him. he lets me handle it etc etc only seems to bother him when its been stood on.:confused:

some pics
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]

2. rona

rona Guest

That looks like the typical grass seed infection, there may still be something in the paw and it needs investigating and probably antibiotics to clear it up

3. Blitz

Blitz PetForums VIP

as rona says it could be a grass seed infection though if it has gone on for months as I think you said it is more likely that he is in the habit of licking it and making it sore. Please dont put up photos that size again , it made your post almost impossible to read.
    Any dog will yelp if someone stands on their paw! so if there actually anything wrong at all. I find it very hard to tell from your post. If you are worried why havent you been to the vet long ago.

4. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

I agree that it could be a grass seed or other foreign body.

Could also be a lick gramuloma, or a fungal/bacterial infection.

I suggest you take your dog back to the vets for investigation, considering its been left for such a considerable amount of time. If it becomes infected you could end up will all sorts of problems, and i imagine its quite sore and painful.

Should have been dealt with months ago.

5. jackm1

jackm1 PetForums Newbie

well it was dealt with months ago by the vets. but only recently has he really started yelping when its been stood on, where it has made me think something is still wrong. it hasnt been as bad as the pics (sorry about the size) until recently as well. will take him to the vets :(

6. gesic

gesic PetForums VIP

Try and stop him licking it if pos.
    the discolourisation of the hair is caused by the enzymes in the saliva.
    The reddening could pos be a fb, it could also be interdigital dermatitis made worse by constant licking.
    Either way the inflamation wont stop untillhe leaves it, gonna have to be a trip bak to ur vets am afraid. U could need some steroids and pos a elizabethan collar or basket muzzle to keep him off it and give the skin a chance to heal.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice