Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Paw care in ice and snow weather

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by vickieb, Feb 8, 2012.

1. vickieb

vickieb PetForums VIP

Hullo all, just wondered if anyone puts anything on their dogs paws in cold weather ?? Or are paws ok just left bee?

I have been puttin pure aloa Vera gel on them on a night.

What do others think? :)

2. rottie

rottie PetForums Senior

I use calendula cream and it's very good

3. Lexiedhb

Lexiedhb Team Ginger!

tiny bit of vaseline.

4. rona

rona Still missing my boys

I'd be worried about it freezing and making things worse

5. Argent

Argent PetForums VIP

Oscar's paws are well protected with all his fluff, but if they were noticably cracking with the cold etc, I'd rub on some vaseline.

6. Dogless

Dogless PetForums VIP

I just leave Kilo's as they seem fine; would probably use a tiny bit of vaseline if they were cracked and dry though......although I am sure he'd just lick it off.

7. vickieb

vickieb PetForums VIP

They are cracked so might try some vas. I'm probs just being soft and babying him :rolleyes:

8. catz4m8z

catz4m8z PetForums VIP

I dont bother with anything. But I do tend to limit walks to 30-40 minutes when its this cold.
    Oh, and always make sure I wipe a wet cloth over their paws when they get in to get rid of any nasty salty grit.:)

9. Galadriel17

Galadriel17 PetForums VIP

I don't use anything and never had any problems. Think you can get 'paw wax' though to protect them if needed :)

10. vickieb

vickieb PetForums VIP

That's the thing, I still have to hammer the walks as he is hard to cope with if he doesn't get at least 2 to 3 hours a day :rolleyes:

11. lucylastic

lucylastic PetForums VIP

I have used Shaw's Paw Wax this year for the first time and I am very impressed. After an hour in deep snow there was not a trace of snow or ice stuck to the dog. I also spray her legs and belly with equine mane and tail conditioner and it stops all the snowballs clinging to her feathery bits.

12. rottie

rottie PetForums Senior

Festus tries to lick it, but after I use the cream I give him a massage and he forgets the licking

13. Gemmaa

Gemmaa PetForums VIP

I use a bit of paw wax, but they seem alright without it. They don't like standing still long enough to let me put it on. :rolleyes:

14. StaffsRmisunderstood

Hey :001_tongue: tbh i think we mother dogs a little to much these days... we treat them like babys which is funny if u think about it when there ancestors are the wolf... we simply domesticated them and tamed them we didnt change there biology... obviosly little breeds such as the chihuhua need care durin winter for the low temps.. but as for paw care a dog has pads that act like our shoes.. they dont need anything on them just keep an eye on them every night for cracks or injuries and if u notice anything a bit of antiseptic cream or vaseline wil b fine but tbh i walked Benley durin the snow last year and it reached his shoulders he was buried and i towelled him dry and put the heatin on wen we got home and he was fine . stop mothering them there not children lol there hardier then we give them cred for look at the strays out there some live years! :blush:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice