Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Patterdale terrier puppy biting aggressively.

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Jolo, Apr 6, 2021.

1. Jolo

Jolo PetForums Newbie

Hi there I am new to the forum and was looking for some advice. We hve a patterdaleXlakeland terrier 14 weeks who has a very strong bite. We have had him nearly 6 weeks. I am aware that puppies bite and some are more nippy than others due to instinct and breed. Our puppy is biting, holding on and growling and pulling. We were advised to ignore and walk away. This worked for a couple of weeks however it has escalated again this time worse. The ignoring doesn’t seem to be working and also we sometimes can not get away as he will not let go.
    Does anyone have any tactics I can use? Also I am concerned he is going to be very aggressive. Anybody have a similar situation and now has a well behaved patterdale? Sorry for long post first time owner as well so very confused with all the information out there. Thanks in advance.

2. Blitz

Blitz PetForums VIP

It is not aggression and will not lead to aggression, it is mad puppy. Try removing his teeth from you and offering him a toy instead. If he persists stand with your back to him and your arms folded for as long as it takes for it to sink in that you are boring. It will take time and he will try it on for what seems like ever but he will eventually get the message. One of my poodles was a horror. She spent most of her time swinging on the bottom of my jeans when I was moving round the house. She also swung on horses tails and feathers. She grew out of it eventually!

Jolo, margy and LinznMilly like this.
  3. Sarah H

Sarah H Grand Empress of the Universe

He's not being aggressive, he's being a terrier puppy. They are bred to hunt, bite, hold and kill. Unfortunately he is choosing you as his prey!
    I would set really strong boundaries now - any attempt to bite you and you leave the room immediately. Then return about a minute later (don't stay away longer) and just do the same thing each time. He will likely get worse before he gets better as he will try harder to get you to play this game with him, but it will eventually cease.
    At the same time you need to make sure he has plenty of toys that he can hunt and kill and dissect. A long handled tug toy is good as this is far enough away from your body that he should accidentally get you instead. Have a look at tug-e-nuff, they have loads of really great training toys. I'd also make sure he does have things you don't mind him ripping apart and 'killing', even something like treats stuffed into newspaper rolled into balls in a box for him to hunt out. Make sure he has plenty of outlets for hunting and biting, and then he will be less inclined to hunt you :D
    Oh and trick training - get him using his brain.

LydiaC, Jolo, Nicola234 and 3 others like this.
  4. Nicola234

Nicola234 PetForums Senior

Hi it will not lead to aggression. I had patterdales and they are generally nuts as pups! They chew, bite and will rip most of your clothes when they are young, try ignoring or leaving the room consistently or swapping your arm for a toy, it’s takes a while but they will get better when they get older, good luck it just takes time

LinznMilly and Jolo like this.
  5. Jolo

Jolo PetForums Newbie

Thanks everyone this is all really reassuring:) I appreciate your replies just need to be a bit more patient.

6. Jolo

Jolo PetForums Newbie

7. Jolo

Jolo PetForums Newbie

Thank you. Yes he is definitely a hanger Oner. He is so smart with learning everything else but stopping biting seems to be taking a while to sink in.
    Thanks again

8. Jason25

Jason25 PetForums VIP

For me it felt like it took forever for the biting to stop. Mine was a little shit that would run at you mouth open and got even more excited/bitey when you yelp because of the pain lol.

I think it was after the puppy teeth started to fall out was when she stopped biting. Probably about 5 or 6 months old lol.

mouthing though... 3 years on and still working on it :Hilarious

it’s all worth it though, once they are past that annoying stage you really start to bond with them then :D

LinznMilly and Jolo like this.
  9. Jolo

Jolo PetForums Newbie

10. Jolo

Jolo PetForums Newbie

We tried the Yelp as well and it just made it worse. It’s good to know it gets easier as well. It’s worse when he is all jacked up. Thanks for your reply. I really want to stray enjoying him more but it’s hard when he gets hold of me with those pin teeth

11. Rafa

Rafa PetForums VIP

Terriers tend to overdo everything.

My Jack Russell bitch bit like a demon as a pup, drew blood regularly and responded to nothing to try and stop/divert her.

It is a phase, it does pass and it doesn't mean your dog will be aggressive in time to come.

O2.0, LinznMilly and Jolo like this.
  12. Gemmaa

Gemmaa PetForums VIP

13. karen harris

karen harris PetForums Newbie

hi, check out root chews at thedogboxx.co.uk
    we got one for our grandpuppy milo who is now 15 weeks old, he loves chewing on it, and one has lasted padds our springer years , they are a root tuba, that has been air dried, and it doesnt splinter, just small fibres come off, and they are safe for little puppy teeths

14. LydiaC

LydiaC PetForums Newbie

Yes, terriers are horrid little bitey buggers as pups. We did a quiet 'uh uh' and then left the room with no drama each time Bill started to savage wrists and ankles as a pup. Some nights we were in and out of the living room like yo-yos but she got it in the end. Having toys to get the hunt and shake instinct out on safely really helps too.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice