Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Patterdale runaway

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by marg duncan, Jul 19, 2009.

1. marg duncan

marg duncan PetForums Newbie

My 13 month old Patterdale x Lakeland is a lovely dog in every respect except when we are out walking, he becomes fixated on other dogs and won't pay me any attention, if he is off the leash he runs off to play and won't come back on command and I have to catch him. I have tried treats, silly voices learnt at dog trainning, firm commands and a clicker.

I walk him for at least 3 hours per day but as a lively dog he really needs to run and run. Can anyone help to teach me how to teach Buddy to come back on command.:(

2. Savahl

Savahl Guest

I had to work on buster, a lakeland (poss x patterdale we arent sure), with a long line for a long time before going off lead. He was too excitable before then, and he responds better to a whistle than call. I didnt let him run free until he recalled 100% on long line.

Basically i kept it short then whistled, gave a little tug, to get his attention, then treated when he got to me, then from further away and so on. Away from distractions first (in the garden), then outside when he was responding. Also, on a harness not a collar or halti, in case he decided to run past the length of the lead and jolted himself!!

http://www.companyofanimals.co.uk/longline.php

#2 Savahl, Jul 19, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 19, 2009
  3. Savahl

Savahl Guest

just seen you use a clicker too...this would be very useful to reinforce the recall so when he gets to you click and treat. The long line just gives more control - without it he can just ignore you and learn that he doesnt have to come back when called!

4. marg duncan

marg duncan PetForums Newbie

Thanks for the info, I think I am going to need to start over again with Buddy and treat him like a new puppy doing recalls in the garden first off. I have had terriers before but he is the first that didn't recall, so it's all new to me. He seems to be two dogs in one, street devil - house angel :)

5. hazel pritchard

hazel pritchard PetForums VIP

Hi we have a Lakeland x or as i call it yob dog !!,(he is not the dog in my avatar hes in my pics)He was just like your dog he would run off for hours,and as you said he needs the exercise,but would not recall,so i bought a 30 ft lead and started again with his recall,after about a week he would recall every time,another thing i did and still do is not talk to him at all while out,unless it was to recall him,and now when he is off lead running,every now and again he will just stop and turn round to see that i am still there
    Good luck,

6. Colliepoodle

Colliepoodle PetForums VIP

It is quite difficult to use a clicker for teaching recall - are you clicking when the dog turns to you? When he gets to you? Really, the principles of clicker training dictate that you should click him the instant he DECIDES to come to you.

Clicker devotee though I may be, I think you can teach a fab recall without bothering with a clicker, so long as you make the reward appropriate to the dog and the situation and build up distractions GRADUALLY so the dog never has the opportunity to ignore you.

Also, do not let your dog offlead until your recall becomes more reliable. You risk the safety of your own dog and if you allow your dog to go up to other dogs you risk some other owners becoming, quite rightly, pee'd off with you.

7. goodvic2

goodvic2 PetForums VIP

Hi. I posted the same sort of problem in the chat section Hyper Activity with Other Dogs ( 1 2)
    goodvic2

Not sure whether that link will work!

My solution is to go somewhere that is not that busy and recall him before he see's the other dog. I then take him over on a lead, so he still gets to meet, but under control. I am hoping mine is an age thing!

x

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice