Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Patrick's home!

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by catz4m8z, Jun 3, 2010.

1. catz4m8z

catz4m8z PetForums VIP

Finally back from the vets and I forked out 400pounds to find out they still dont know why he has diarrhoea!!:mad: He still doesnt have all the results back from his stool sample but he has had a steroid injection for IBS and I have to see if he has any improvement after that.
    Now the nightmare is what to do with him.:( I live in a tiny house and it isnt practical to keep/feed everyone seperatley. For one thing the bedroom cats wont eat if Im around (I havent seen them eat this year at all!:eek:) so doing different foods is a problem. I stuck him in a dog crate for now but dont see it working long term..:rolleyes:
    Sometimes I really hate my cats...:(

2. hobbs2004

hobbs2004 PetForums VIP

Hurrah! That's great news! And to be honest £400 for a 4 days stay at vet plus all the things that they have done so far isn't half bad.

The bedroom cats?:confused:

Have you looked into slippery elm? Works wonders with IBS (if that is what it is). Sorry, if I sound like a broken record.......:eek:

3. catz4m8z

catz4m8z PetForums VIP

Sorry, I should explain.. The bedroom cats are the 5 that live in the bedroom and never come out!:D They have ever since I got the dogs which is sad for Patrick and Bess who live up there but a godsend for me coz the other 3 are my non house trained ex hoarder cats. After 8 yrs of poo and wee all over the house I have it confined to one room!:thumbup:
    It does cut down my options for space to put Patrick though if he needs a special diet. (vet totally pooh poohed the idea of slippery elm. He seemed to regard it right up there with snake oil!!:rolleyes:)
    Needless to say I dont think I would ever have this many cats again!!LOL:D

4. HollyM

HollyM PetForums VIP

I had the same thing with my cat, who is 13 now, when he was about 5. He was in the vets for a week or so and we were just told at the end of it, after alot of expense, that he had a chronic bowel condition of unknown origin! And btw no vet will recommend a herbal supplement as they are all money motivated! Try this link for info http://www.littlebigcat.com/?action=library&act=show&item=slipperyelm.

#4 HollyM, Jun 3, 2010
    Last edited: Jun 3, 2010
  5. Milly22

Milly22 PetForums VIP

Have you had him tested for T. Fetus ? I thought one of mine had IBS, and tested for it, which came back negative but it can shed so getting a diagnosis can be tricky.

I treated my girl for it anyway (after speaking with several other breeders who had done so with no side affects) and 3 days into the 14 days of treatment her poos started to clear up. This was after 2 years trying various foods, slippery elm, pumpkin, turnip, just fish etc....

6. catz4m8z

catz4m8z PetForums VIP

Im still waiting for the stool cultre results to come back and will try the steroids but if I dont get any results I'll work my way through the herbal/alternative routes. I know how good it can be sometimes.
    My Chi puppy had horrible diarrhoea that the vets couldnt cure but responded to pumpkin! Also as a nurse I know how many old fashioned remedies are being used nowadays.:)

7. hobbs2004

hobbs2004 PetForums VIP

Despite your vet's damning opinion I am still rooting for slippery elm! And pumpkin!

Let's hope it was just a bad glitch and he doesn't need a special diet. The logistics for that sound a bit complicated in your household :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice