Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Patent Idea?!?!?!!?!?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by crazybones, May 20, 2010.

1. crazybones

crazybones PetForums VIP

Does anyone know how to go about this????

2. willa

willa PetForums VIP

what's a Patent idea ? lol

3. owieprone

owieprone PetForums VIP

4. crazybones

crazybones PetForums VIP

thatnks for those replies i will pm you in abit as im walking the dog...

How do i know who to trust tho thats the thing

5. owieprone

owieprone PetForums VIP

lol trust me ;) it's me job.

seriously, it depends on how much money you want to spend, patent attorneys cost anything from 175 ph to 300/400 ph depending on their level of experience.

you can patent it yourself without too much bother if it's really novel and inventive, but if you get into bother with it, i.e. you are opposed by another firm that says you're infringing on something they've made, or the Examiner opposes it as unclear or something like that, you will most likely need an attorney to go to the Oral Proceedings for you, unless you're bolshy and know exactly what you're on about and can argue over someone elses patent (which you will also need to know inside and out via reading their patent as disclosed so far). Examiners and Opposition divisions tend to use flowery law speak so you need someone on board that understands that.. not necessarily a lawyer (student would do) you need them to give you a Declaration of Confidenciality (not required by patent law, but protects you if they blab to all and sunder).

proving novelty and inventive step is usually the falling down point of most patents but once in a while we get one that sails through with no opposition from anyone.

it all depends on the level of protection you want as to how much it will cost. the more you do yourself the less it will cost, you dont' NEED an attorney but sometimes they can help.

there used to be a 'free-help' intiative but most firms don't do that anymore, we still get calls but tbh it's not worth your phone bill. your best bet if you NEED an attorney is to scout students at your local uni that does IP Law and see if anyone is interested, make sure they're last year student(s) though. It takes 5 years + to be actually qualified as an IP lawyer after uni.

i've pm'd you, gis a shout if you need any more help..

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice