Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Patellar Luxation Surgery Recovery

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by Jamie Alexandra, May 25, 2019.

1. Jamie Alexandra

Jamie Alexandra PetForums Newbie

Hi everyone

I'm new to this forum. My name is Jamie (I'm female btw lol). And I have a 1 year old Miniature Dachshund called Minnie.

She has just undergone surgery for Medial Patellar Luxation. We are 10 days post surgery and she is doing amazingly well. I, on the other hand, am so unbelievably stressed. Watching her every move making sure she doesn't run and jump etc. She has a crate and is crate trained. She spends all day in her crate whilst I'm at work at the moment due to her surgery. So I don't have the heart to put her in it all evening too. She just cries her heart out. So my instructions say to make sure she doesn't jump and that she can be in a pen or a small room. So this is what I'm doing, shutting doors so she's only in a small room at a time but she just wants to fly around like a loon so I'm having to constantly restrict her.

I just wondered if anyone else has been through this and how they coped with the stress? She's coping wonderfully, it's just me that's a mess!

Look forward to chatting to some of you and thank you in advance for any advice.

2. lullabydream

lullabydream PetForums VIP

@MontyMaude should be able to offer advice, and put any worries you have aside!

MontyMaude likes this.
  3. Jamie Alexandra

Okay, thank you so much. She's my absolute world and I'm terrified of anything going wrong. But it's getting to the point where I can't switch off for 5 mins unless of course I crate her but then I still can't switch off because she cries and it makes me sad!

Thank you for responding :)

4. lullabydream

lullabydream PetForums VIP

Hopefully who I have tagged will be online today at some point. Both her gorgeous dogs has had surgery.
    Am sure she can help put your mind at ease.
    It's always very hard after surgery. Dogs are so stoic and bounce back really quickly.

5. rottiepointerhouse

rottiepointerhouse PetForums VIP

My rottie had this surgery too, she was only young at the time and it followed on from several other big orthopaedic operations. I had to keep her very restricted for 6 weeks - no walks/on lead in the garden. I used a pen rather than a crate so she had a bit more room, it was in front of the patio doors so she could see out and also felt part of what was going on. Whenever possible I took her to the room I was in so my little study or the kitchen and just blocked her access to any furniture/stairs, lots of baby gates are your friend. Moving her around for a change of scenery seemed to help as did taking her out in the car for a ride and to sit and watch the world go by although only do that if your dog is calm in the car. To keep her occupied we used lots of different brain game toys, stuffed kongs or just cardboard boxes filled with paper with a few treats buried inside for her to find although her favourite game was and still is opening and shredding the junk mail :D I also slept downstairs on the sofa next to her as she was used to coming upstairs to our bedroom. Good luck the time will go by before you know it, you are over the worst bit now.

lullabydream and MontyMaude like this.
  6. MontyMaude

MontyMaude PetForums VIP

Hello and yes as @rottiepointerhouse above has said it's about keeping them restricted, it's hard and horrible but comparatively a short time in their lives (but it feels forever when you are going through it) I used a puppy pen in the sitting room and a crate in the kitchen as he just wanted to bounce around and jump off the furniture, and if he had to be left then he was in the crate.

Thankfully I was allowed to do short on lead walks for 5 minutes twice a day as my boy had a different op to the traditional deepening the groove by cutting into the bone, as he had a little plastic banana shaped piece of plastic screwed to his knee joint to build up the groove, and it had a much quicker recovery , but it was still hard and even now over 5 years later I still worry if he is haring around like a lunatic but I am a natural worrier.

I found stuffed kong and antler chews helped to occupy him but remember if giving stuffed kings and things to deduct it from the food allowance as its easier to put lots of weight on them when they are incapacitated and unable to burn it off. You could possibly look into getting a little pet stroller and then you could take her out for walks to see things smell the air etc to give her brain some stimulation.

Minnie sounds like a character would love to see some pictures of her.

7. Jamie Alexandra

Ahh guys, thank you so much for responding. It's real hard work isn't it. Thank you for the suggestions too. I've been playing brain games with her and she has puzzles to get treats out etc. Haven't got a Kong but she is raw fed so I'm tempted to get one and put her food in to keep her busy in the evening. I always look at kongs though and wonder how they get the food out :confused:

I don't have a pen for her and I'm at my parents at the moment so cant get one either. But when I do restrict her in a room she still tries to run around. :Banghead and I do absolute best to stop her but sometimes she manages a mini sprint before I get hold of her. It really worries me.

Oh she is a character alright. Love her to death. I'll try and upload pics now xx

8. Jamie Alexandra

9. rottiepointerhouse

rottiepointerhouse PetForums VIP

She is beautiful. Could you keep a house line on her so that you can stop her quicker?

10. Jamie Alexandra

Thank you!

That's a really good idea. I can go and pick one up. Will have to make sure I don't tread on it like a mad woman though and hurt her in any way. I had one when she was a pup but got rid. I've just ordered her a Kong and a licky mat and a new puzzle to try. She's got antlers and buffalo chews etc too.

I've never wished my life away like this before. It's so daft. I think it's so hard not to stress and worry about our furbabies though xx

11. SusieRainbow

SusieRainbow Moderator
    Staff Member

My dachshund had spinal surgery for a prolapsed disc. She hated the crate and cried pitifully, so most of the time laid beside me in my chair and rested well like that.She went in the crate or her stroller if I needed to go off and do something , and now has ramps up to the sofa and garden.
    She did make a full recovery, hoping Minnie recovers well too.

12. MontyMaude

MontyMaude PetForums VIP

Oh she is so pretty.

13. Jamie Alexandra

Hiya, I'm so glad to hear she made a full recovery! Spinal surgery is really something. Frightens me. I think owning a daxie just brings lots of worries in general. Was it IVDD? Or an injury?

14. Jamie Alexandra

Thank you :-D

15. SusieRainbow

SusieRainbow Moderator
    Staff Member

It was IVDD with a prolapsed disc.

16. 2Cats2Dogs

2Cats2Dogs PetForums VIP

I went threw something last year with Buddy my Bichon. He had TCLO on both his back knees. In total had 4 operations (one he had twice because he escaped his crate) and all in all for each op was 8 weeks recovery, except 3rd op with took 12 weeks recovery. He had an op earlier this year to remove the implants from his legs and he is doing
    Unbelievably well.

I can’t recommend enough enormous self discipline and attention with your dog when they are resting either in the crate or in a restricted area. Buddy hates being on his own and my work was flexible enough to allow me working from home couple of days a week. We had to cordon off areas Buddy could jump up at. Wherever I went in the house I ensured he was with me (indeed even during toilet breaks!) so he was reassured and would settle much better.

lullabydream likes this.
  17. Jamie Alexandra

Oh gosh poor mite! I'm so glad to hear he is doing well. The bit about escaping the crate makes me nervous. Minnie's managed a quick sprint twice now ‍♀️ it's so damn hard. I literally take her everywhere (including the loo) but even being trapped in a small room she tries to run around. And she got through the gate on the kitchen door earlier and started to chase my other dog (playing). Aaaahhh. I'm so scared. How did you know his op had failed? And what actually went wrong when he escaped? If you don't mind me asking. Xx

18. 2Cats2Dogs

2Cats2Dogs PetForums VIP

When he escaped the crate he got out into the garden and ran up it and he started to limp and we took him back to the surgeon an x-ray showed not only had he broken the plate and screws, but had broke his leg too and hence the lengthened recovery after the 3rd op.

We agreed after to have the implants removed due to the risk of infection later. All in all including hydrotherapy, the recovery period in total was 34 weeks!

19. Jamie Alexandra

Oh my gosh!!!!!! What an absolute nightmare for you. I'm so glad he is okay now and you are through that horrendously lengthy time. I'm praying Minnie hasn't done any damage. I don't think I can cope with this again not to mention her having to go through it again *waaaaah*

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice