Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Patella Luxation Surgery - help!

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by KatieFox, Mar 11, 2020.

1. KatieFox

KatieFox PetForums Newbie

Hi :)
    I just wondered if anyone has any advice with the following. My French bulldog Rex is 16 months old and has just had xrays confirming patella luxation. The vets said it’s grade 1, it’s present in his right leg and less prominent in his left leg too. He recently had about 4 days out of sorts not jumping, seeming to be in a bit of discomfort so I took him to the emergency vets where this all came about. He’s completely back to normal, and he’s never shown any signs of discomfort previously - I think it was down to a big jump onto a trampoline which overstretched him. The problem isn’t him having the surgery if it’s needed it’s having it so young when everything I read on the condition doesn’t suggest surgery at this stage. The vets have confused me because on one hand they say he might not have anymore problems, but potentially it could get worse over time. They are suggesting surgery to prevent any future issues- but why isn’t this noted somewhere on what I’m reading online? He’s showing no signs of lameness or discomfort at the minute but I don’t know what to do for best. Any advice?? Thank you :)

2. MontyMaude

MontyMaude PetForums VIP

My boy had surgery on his first knee around 10 months and then had the second one 6 - 8 months later, he had his done at a young age because he was really struggling with it popping in and out and he had finished growing in height as he is small dog and I know people do leave their dogs with slipping knees but I couldn't plus I think the sooner it's done the less damage to the joint, so they will still get arthritis I hope it won't be so bad as if I had left him.

My boy had a different type of surgery where a plastic banana shaped piece of plastic was screwed to his knee to raise the groove and seat the kneecap rather than the traditional cutting a deeper groove into the bone, the recovery match quicker and less restrictive and fingers crossed has worked well he is now 6 and doing well *touch wood* he get a Yumove tablet everyday to try to keep his joint healthy too.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice