UK Pet Forums Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
930 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Volunteering Suki as a pets as therapy dog!

Got all the paperwork, now just need her assessed! Pretty sure she will pass but fingers crossed!

Excited! :laugh:

Attachments

·
Registered
6,320 Posts
Good luck, i plan on putting Dan into PAT when he's a bit older as spinones have a very calm disposition(once their past the puppy and teen stage :) )

I've always wanted to do it with Tummel but he's just too nosey :rolleyes:

·
Registered
3,644 Posts
Good luck, I've been meaning to do this with Indie for ages, have the paperwork, just haven't got round to filling it in.
Oh, I am in need of some therapy. If you could just deposit Iddie on the doorstep that would be fab, thanks. ;)

Fingers crossed with the PAT stuff, OP. Would love to do that at some point with Terence, but we are years off with his giddiness. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
3,470 Posts
I have applied for Jake to be a PAT dog but have just discovered they need to be up to date with vaccinations, flea & worming treatment, i worm him but don't get regular boosters & only use natural flea treatment so i guess thats us out :(

·
Registered
3,914 Posts
Hope all goes well for you both! Would love to do this in the future, it would be S&B's idea of a perfect hell I'm sure.

My aunt's Goldie is a PAT dog, not that you'd believe it when he's snatching a pigeon out of the air, galloping off into the distance or rough housing with Scooter. Milo's an attention whore and just laps it up.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Brilliant! Good luck!

I did this with my first Rotty, such a rewarding experience. We visited a day centre for severely handicapped teens.

I've been toying wth the idea of trying my bitch as she loves everybody and loves fuss but she's a bit licky so I don't think she'd pass

·
Registered
930 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Wow im glad its such a popular cause. :D
Suki skipped puppyhood entirely and went straight to being a old lady despite being a year old so no licky or bouncy problems. :rolleyes:

·
Banned
21,573 Posts
Well I got out the paperwork to start completing this and we've fallen at the firsts hurdle. I don't believe in constantly immunising a dog into old age, so we won't be accepted. Never mind, Indie gives plenty of therapy to everyone we meet :)

·
Registered
930 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well I got out the paperwork to start completing this and we've fallen at the firsts hurdle. I don't believe in constantly immunising a dog into old age, so we won't be accepted. Never mind, Indie gives plenty of therapy to everyone we meet :)
I think in America they only vaccinate every 4 years? I think that makes more sense to me so the dog cant be over vaccinated, but while shes so young is probably wont hurt her, just a good experience hopefully. Indie sounds lovely, dogs always have a way of cheering people up dont they ;)

·
Banned
21,573 Posts
I think in America they only vaccinate every 4 years? I think that makes more sense to me so the dog cant be over vaccinated, but while shes so young is probably wont hurt her, just a good experience hopefully. Indie sounds lovely, dogs always have a way of cheering people up dont they ;)
Indie is a lovely character, she's a bear of a dog and loves everyone and everything. She's seven now (I think) and I stopped her vaccinations a couple of years ago after she developed a canine papilloma on her nose following her boosters. The WSAVA have changed their recommendations for vaccination programmes, and even they admit that the levels of immunity often remain high enough for much longer than 12 months. Never mind, I'm sure there's a reason why the PAT people insist on vaccinations being up to date, I'm just not willing to start vaccinating her again just so she can become a PAT dog.

·
Registered
3,470 Posts
Got my pack through this morning but giving it a second thought now, it's a lot more complicated than what i thought. Didn't realise you are expected to give up quite a bit of your time & having to pay, not sure it can really be called a volunteer role lol
Bit dissapointed, not sure what i'll do yet though

·
Registered
15,185 Posts
Got my pack through this morning but giving it a second thought now, it's a lot more complicated than what i thought. Didn't realise you are expected to give up quite a bit of your time & having to pay, not sure it can really be called a volunteer role lol
Bit dissapointed, not sure what i'll do yet though
What exactly is complicated about it?

What amount of time did you expect to give up and what amount do you think you have to?

And I am a bit confused about having to pay?

The only thing you have to pay for is insurance which, when I had a PAT dog, was £19 a year....................... :confused:

·
Registered
195 Posts
It didn't take up a lot of my time when I did it, I visited one place and they told me not to go every week as they then expect you and it can upset them if you can't go for some reason so I went about every other week

·
Registered
3,470 Posts
What exactly is complicated about it?

What amount of time did you expect to give up and what amount do you think you have to?

And I am a bit confused about having to pay?

The only thing you have to pay for is insurance which, when I had a PAT dog, was £19 a year....................... :confused:
I don't know, i guess theres just more too it than i thought- vaccs record, flea & worming treatment, references but i guess thats because they have to protect the people

It doesn't mention that this is for insurance? Just that i have to pay a registered volunteer fee of £19

I was expecting to give up once or twice a month but maybe that isn't as regularly as they would like, it's all i can do though.

When it says up to date with vaccs does that mean yearly or by what your vet recommends?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.