Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

PAT dogs.

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Calinyx, Jan 23, 2012.

1. Calinyx

Calinyx PetForums VIP

Has anyone got any experience of this scheme? I'm hoping that once Kenzie is old enough, that I'll be able to consider this for her. She has such a gentle nature and isn't shy with stangers.

If she gets through her puppy 'teens' with the same nature then it's something I'd like to look into.

Just wondered if any one on this forum does or has done this with their dog.

Many thanks :)

2. newfiesmum

newfiesmum Banned

Have you googled it? There is a website which tells you what they need to do and I think it is Gorgeous on here who has a therapy dog.

I wanted Joshua to do it, as he was such a calm dog and I thought it would be good for him, but it wasn't to be.

3. Fleur

Fleur Vassal to Lilly and Ludo

A few members on here have their dogs registered :)

I'd wanted to do it with Zipper and Lilly but I never got them to loose lead walk reliably :eek:

Maybe with the next dog :)

4. Sled dog hotel

Sled dog hotel PetForums VIP

It was something I was thinking of doing with Nanuq when she got older, one of out trainers has PAT dogs. It is quite involved.

Found this should give you all the info you need

Welcome to Pets As Therapy

5. Autaven

Autaven PetForums Member

I spoke to someone at Crufts who advised me to do it with my Izzie but we never found the time and now she's not too well. If we get her sorted then I think it would be something I would love to do! Off to check out their website now :)

6. 8tansox

8tansox PetForums VIP

Yep I do it with Fletcher my Rottweiler. The only downside (if there is one) is the commitment. I initially went ever week, now it's once a fortnight and they still want more. I go to two nursing homes, and their "sister" nursing home wants me to go there also - whereas it's a very nice thing to do, it takes out a whole afternoon.

We've been going to two nursing homes now for 3 years and the residents have varying degrees of dementia.

7. Mollyspringer

Mollyspringer PetForums Senior

Well done you, 8tansox. I'd love to be able to do it. If Molly ever stops bouncing!! My Mum was in a Care Home and she always loved dogs. A lady used to take 2 King Charles Spaniels in and the residents loved seeing them xx

8. amymay01

amymay01 PetForums Member

I work on the cancer unit at my local hospital and have recently decided to put my greyhound forward for this after meeting our pat dog on the ward (hi honey) if she shes this :D
    A fantastic cause and makes a huge difference to the people in hospital who miss there pets.
    Have all the forms filled out just waiting to have him assessed fingers crossed :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice