Welcome!

Welcome to PetForums, the UK's most popular and friendly pet owners community. Please 'Sign Up' if you'd like to take part and contribute to our forum.

Pasturella treatment

Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by Laura_S, Jun 12, 2018.

1. Laura_S

Laura_S PetForums Newbie

Hi, does anyone have any remedy suggestions for pasturella? I have been to the vets twice now, both times been given antibiotics, which haven't worked. After some research, several articles suggest antibiotics won't cure pasturella, only repress the symptoms....

2. Misskitty85

Misskitty85 PetForums Newbie

I understand what your going through. I lost my little boy to it . It broke my heart but in the end it was best as he suffered severely from the pasterella bacteria. He evenually lost power to his legs , he had constant ear infections ,runny nose , urine infections. My heart goes to any bunny owner dealing with this. It's horrible. My vet prescribed him baytril for 5 days each time. It did help a little but as soon as he stopped the antibiotic the infection took over again. He was on it on and off for about a year before he passed away. The problem with this antibiotic is they prescribe it for few days, but I've spent hours every night in the past researching this bacteria and the problem is once the symptoms ease by then youve usually finished the dose of antibiotic, but with pasterella you need to continue the antibiotic even after the symptoms have gone as it's very stubborn to kill it . Taking it for 5 days will only kill some of the active bacteria. and without a longer dose it still lives dormant until the next outbreak. You need to kill the active bacteria. There was a study done in Edinburgh university i think it was. I believe the rabbits were given antibiotic over a longer period and they made a safe and full recovery. 5 days antobiotic is useless and its bad because bunny will build immunity to the antibiotic. They require a longer dose even when all symptoms have gone because the bacteria is still present. The problem is vets aren't willing to prescribe a longer course of antibiotics. It' actually difficult to get a vet who understands what this infection is. Most don't have the experience and knowledge of it. I had a vet even googling it. Ask around different vet practices to see if there's a vet familiar with dealing with this so he can give you the best help. My vet kept telling me oh it's his teeth over and over . He didn't pay any attention when I said all his symptoms fit pasterella bacteria. I argued with 2 different vets that his symptoms I believe he was suffering from pasterella, evenually found a vet who did a blood test confirmed this but by this time it was too late. His legs had already gone. Continuing a longer antibiotic wouldn't have reversed the damage now. only thing I could do for him was comfort him. I strongly believe using an experienced rabbit vet . Taking the antibiotic and stopping it again and starting another dose isn't effective. Vets without knowledge aren' comfortable with prescribing it longer however if it' not dealt with it's usually fatal anyway.
    What symptoms is your bunny having? Try feeding basil leaves. It's a natural antibiotic. If he/she is stuffy try leaving a little bowl with water and vicks vapour near it. Obviously not where the bunny may get at it. And try to limit stress for your bunny as stressful times allows the infection to take hold. If you can get your hands on vitamin drops to give to bunny
    And you get a probiotic powder to add to the water . Your welcome to message me if you want to talk . I wish your bunny all the best.

3. Misskitty85

Misskitty85 PetForums Newbie

Also if it has any sores or dryness use coconut oil. It' natural and its antibacterial. It won't do it any harm if it licks it

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice