Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Passport dilemma

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Shaza, Jul 5, 2009.

1. Shaza

Shaza PetForums Junior

My 15yr old son is off to France at 4.30 on Wednesday morning but only IF I can sort out his passport tomorrow!! My ex managed to lose all 3 boys passports when he moved house and it only came to light a few weeks ago. So I duly sent off a lost passport form and applied for a new one. On Friday last week I get a letter from the passport office stating that as my ex had applied for the original passport they needed his written confirmation that it is lost - bit difficult when he is serving in Afghanistan and I am unable to contact him! I phoned the passport office and explained this and also said that as my son actually lives full time with me then surely I can apply for a replacement. All going well so far, they just need to check some details on their computer from his old passport. All fine until they ask his place of birth. Now I know he was born in Cambridge (I was there LOL) but they have it on their records that he was born in Paignton!! No I said he was definitely born in Cambridge, his FATHER was born in Paignton. Sorry is the response our records say its Paignton which must be right as we would had to have seen his birth certificate. By now I'm steaming - have his birth cert in from of me and it definitely says Cambridge.

Now I have to take tomorrow off work and he has to have a day off school (no hardship there I feel) just so we can spend a number of hours at the Passport Office whilst they sort out the mess. If he doesn't get the passport then its £220 down the drain for the trip plus its for his GCSE course and he will lose 40% of his mark. I even have to pay and additional £48 so I can get the passport tomorrow when I have already paid the extra costs for a 2 week turnaround :cursing:

Sorry, rant over...I feel much better now.

2. purrlover

purrlover PetForums Senior

you rant way love .... i would be screaming from the roof tops!! im sure when you go tomorrow , common sense should prevail!!! heres hoping you get it sorted and your son as a great time in france
    good luck
    julie x

3. kristy

kristy PetForums Member

hope you get things sorted in time, is he going away with school? only ask as around here they dont need a passport if its a school trip as they go on a collective one thats issued to the school.

4. Classyellie

Classyellie PetForums VIP

I hope that you get things sorted in time. Good luck with the passport office!
    Make sure you check your sons new passport when you get it.

My ex went to the office to get a new passport for an urgent business trip, with his old passport, and all the relevant documents just in case. He waited for over 4 hours and came away with a brand new passport - with the wrong date of birth on!!

From what I understood all children now must have their own passports and can no longer travel on a collective one.

5. westie~ma

westie~ma ~ In my shed ~
    Staff Member

Hope you get it sorted tomorrow. Our passport office lost my DD's original birth cetificate when she was 6 months old (the cute little one) she's the only one with a hulking great big one out of the four of us :D She was so young I had to hold her on the stool for the photo in case she fell off.

My DS went to France last year with the school, they needed their own passports and E111 cards as well.

6. Classyellie

Classyellie PetForums VIP

Same here with my DS when he went to Austria last year

7. kristy

kristy PetForums Member

some schools must be different then as my daughter went in march this year to france and my nephiew went in april to germany and niether have passports..lol they did have to have the medical cards and just had to supply school with two passport pictures. i did worry about the passport thing but was assured by the school its not needed

8. Shaza

Shaza PetForums Junior

My son could have gone on the school passport but at the time I thought his father still had his original one so said we didn't need it. By the time I found out it was missing it was too late :eek: Major panic stations particularly as getting hold of RAF personnel in Afghanistan is very tricky unless its a family emergency.

Still looking forward to an exciting day in Peterborough tomorrow - NOT :mad:
    Opps change that its today already, so why am I still here:confused:

Nite Nite all

9. lifeizsweet

lifeizsweet PetForums VIP

Hope you get it all sorted out! I remember my dad was going away on business last year and couldn't find his passport and had to go last minute to get a new one. He found the lost on in his coat pocket on the way to the airport! Turns out it had expired anyway so it was a bit of luck he applied for a new one in the end!

10. Shaza

Shaza PetForums Junior

I'm back!!! New passport in hand.

Had a 4 hour wait but worth it so I can get 3 days peace when he goes on Wednesday.

Even though the passport office messed up his original passport by putting on his father's place of birth instead of his they still said it was our fault as we had not checked the original one....maybe someone needs to show them how to read a birth certificate :mad2: We double checked everything BEFORE we left today - just to be sure.

11. Sampuppy

Sampuppy PetForums VIP

So glad to hear that you got it sorted!!!! Enjoy the peace!!!

12. westie~ma

westie~ma ~ In my shed ~
    Staff Member

Ah good news. I hope your son enjoys his trip and you enjoy your peace and quiet.

If you don't mind me asking what is doing over there? My DS went to see the Bayeaux tapestry, he spent one and a half days on a bus virtually, not my cup of tea at all, but he enjoyed.

13. Shaza

Shaza PetForums Junior

Its part of his GCSE ASDAN course (new course that is a combination of languages and vocational). The itinery says they are visiting the Eiffel Tower, Basilica etc but all crammed in to 2 days with lots of coach travel to and from home. I'm not too sure how educational it will be but if he didn't go he would lose 20% of his GCSE grade :eek:hmy:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice