UK Pet Forums Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
Sorry to hear that :( I haven't had any experience of it myself (apart from the TV) I just didn't want to read and run.

I believe it requires quite intensive treatment because it's very dehydrating to be vomiting and poo'ing all the time! As well as antibiotics / anti sickness drugs?

I'm sure someone here will have had experience or will be able to help more.

Importantly I know that it's quite a strong virus and can stay on surfaces etc for quite a long time so you'll need quite a strong bleach to get rid of it.

*big hug*

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
My springer Archie was 8 weeks old when he went down with parvo. He was in the vets for 4 days on a drip and antibiotics, he also came home with antibiotic tablets and a special diet.

The vets gave us some cleaning fluid (sorry can't remember the name) to clean the whole house and I steam cleaned all the carpets. We have a large garden so hosed it down and whenever any of the dogs had a wee or poo it was cleared up straight away and the wee was was watered down and cleaned with bleach.

Archie made a complete recovery even though he was so young and so very weak.

I hope you puppies have a speedy recovery.

Hugs

Val xx

·
Registered
4,611 Posts
I have had experience of parvo working in a quarantine kennel - it is a horrible disease and you will have to get special cleaning agents to thoroughly scrub everything and have a basin at the front and back doors for anyone coming in - going out - the idea being they step into the agent before entering and leaving the home. We had to use special clothing too and constantly wash our hands so as not to cross contaminate other dogs. This disease can and does take hold very quickly and from what I saw in the post mortems the intestines perforated.

Hopefully your vet has picked up on this quickly.

·
Registered
39,811 Posts
I just found out yesterday my puppies have the parvovirus and I'm very worried about them :(, has anyone else experienced this?
Havent had personal experience but have seen a neighbours dog that she got from a shelter go down with Parvo.

There are no medications as such to kill the infection, just support medication in the way of anti sickness and diarrhoea medication and maybe antibiotics to help with any secondary bacterial infection, as the dog is vomitting and has extremene diarrhoea taken orally is useless they have to be adminstered by injection.

The main worry with Parvo is dehydration because of the diarrhoea and vomitting, which in itself can be a killer so dogs must be given and kept on intravenous fluids in fact they are vital.

As the main route is the fecal oral route and is spread in the faeces of infected dogs, clean up and disinfecting is vital as is barrier nursing.
The infection can be carried on hands, clothes and shoes too so again personal hygine and disinfecting of clothes and shoes is important. Parvo is resistent but Formula H will help against parvo
Formula H Concentrated Disinfectant 5L-Hyperdrug

Pups and dogs can survive it but the intervention of intravenous fluids and relevant support medication at the earliest stage possible is vital to improve chances of survivial. As is nursing and clean up.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.