Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Parvo

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by Brittanee Hayden, Nov 13, 2018.

1. Brittanee Hayden

Brittanee Hayden PetForums Newbie

I am getting a dog and I live in a large apartment complex where other animals are living as well. My puppy will be 8 weeks old when I bring him home and will have only had one of his parvo shots. I have heard time and time again that puppy pads are very negative and teaching a dog to potty inside if you eventually want to teach it to go outside is not okay.

How should I go about allowing my dog to potty outside at these apartments, but also protect him from parvo? Does anyone have any suggestions? Has anyone used potty pads for the first month and then transitioned puppy to outside later?

2. O2.0

O2.0 PetForums VIP

Are the other dogs who are outside owned and vaccinated? Puppy should be fine around vaccinated dogs.

However if you have reason to believe there might be exposure, it might be safer to make an indoor potty spot for the pup. If you do go this route, I would avoid puppy pads and use a clearly marked and raised surface. I think part of the issue with potty pads is that pups can't really tell the difference in surface. It basically feels the same as carpeted floor. A potty "box" like a litter box with pellets and clear change in texture and surface is much easier for pup to understand that here, and *here* only is a potty area.

What breed of pup? What does the breeder/rescue say about your situation?

Lurcherlad and JoanneF like this.
  3. Brittanee Hayden

Brittanee Hayden PetForums Newbie

All of the dogs in this complex are owned, and therefore hopefully vaccinated. And usually these animals would only be outside to go potty. I just always hear that parvo lives in the ground for several years and I wasn't sure how I should go about potty training.

Puppy is a Yorkshire Terrier and Poodle mix. A Yorkipoo! I understand yorkshire terriers can be very stubborn when it comes to toileting so I want to make this as direct as possible. I like the idea of a potty area rather than a potty pad. I think I will look into the fake grass boxes that he can use for the first couple weeks.

4. O2.0

O2.0 PetForums VIP

Yorkies and poodles are both very intelligent dogs. There is no reason why potty training should be an issue unless the breeder has been lax in keeping their area clean and starting the process.

Lurcherlad likes this.
  5. JoanneF

JoanneF PetForums VIP

Do you have a balcony? If so, a shallow box with real turf could be constructed out there, or even encourage him to toilet on the balcony itself (provided his urine isn't going to run off and disturb anyone below - there won't be much so you should be able to clean it easily enough). Or you could put a turf box inside the apartment.

Lurcherlad likes this.
  6. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

A turf/dirt tray would be preferable to puppy pads as that will avoid confusion later on.

Given you’re in a flat that will make toilet training easier anyway imo as getting a pup outside fast enough might be an issue, especially at first - and in the middle of the night ;)

JoanneF likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice