Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Parvo outbreak - reasonable decision?

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Emmastace, Sep 19, 2013.

1. Emmastace

Emmastace PetForums VIP

OH and I have had a big talk and decided that, whatever the impact on the business, we are going to be dog un-friendly for the time being due to the parvo outbreak. About 60% of our letting rooms are taken by people needing somewhere they can take their dog. We let them go anywhere in the building - barring the kitchen - and they use our dogs exercise paddock for off lead time and the same toileting areas. There haven't been any diagnosed cases in this area but I would never forgive myself if my dogs fell sick or if someone else's did because they used a room or anywhere else in the pub that had previously housed a carrier.
    We will still allow the locals to bring their dogs into the main bar area as we can use Parvoviricide in there on the hard floor but I can't use that on the carpets and beds etc.
    Is this a reasonable decision or would you say the risk isn't great enough so still allow other dogs to come or so great I should ban ALL dogs from ALL areas until the risk has died down?

2. Phoolf

Phoolf PetForums VIP

Would it be possible for you to state that they need to bring their vet card with them so you know they are properly immunised

3. sezeelson

sezeelson PetForums VIP

I think that is absolutely the right thing to do!

Immunised dogs are still being killed by this strain of virus effecting both pups and adults. Immunity cards and vet letters are not enough to prove a dog is not carrying the disease IMO and could harbour the virus for 7 days before showing symptoms.

I think it's important to keep your resident dogs safe and I think your regular/ long customers will thank you for it! :)

4. emmaviolet

emmaviolet PetForums VIP

I think it's the right thing to do for your own peace of mind. Like you say, you'd never forgive yourself should something happen.

The problem is is that healthy dogs and immunised dogs can carry it in with them. I'm hearing it is vaccinated dogs catching it as well as the not vaccinated dogs.

5. Sarah1983

Sarah1983 PetForums VIP

Possibly stupid question, can humans not carry it in with them?

6. Emmastace

Emmastace PetForums VIP

I would think they could but I can't ban people as well, that would really kill the business. (And they don't poop in my paddock as far as I know :D )

7. EmCHammer

EmCHammer PetForums VIP

How great is the risk really? its not in your area, but sounds like you have dogs coming from other areas, but often how many dogs in that area, out of the entire population of dogs in that area are affected?

There has always been parvo; 4 or so years ago we lost 5 dogs at the kennels, not reported anywhere because no one was 'interested'. Another outbreak at my local kennels wiped out 4 dogs. Another mystery illness (thought to be distemper but wasn't) killed 2 dogs a few years ago.

Now we have better knowledge is this a parvo 'outbreak' are numbers really on the increase or due to better reporting we just know about it all - is there reason to 'panic' I just don't know.

8. Picklelily

Picklelily PetForums VIP

What do you plan t do about those who have already booked rooms with their dogs or do you not have any planned bookings at the moment?

Personally considering your business has about 60% of your bookings with dogs I would have a chat with a vet about the risks in your area, see if they can advise about the risks nationally. Perhaps its just certain areas you need to worry about?

I haven't heard anything here about an outbreak the only mention has been on here.

Parvoalert on Twitter says the virus has always been here and its mostly unvaccinated dogs. Outbreaks are Doncaster and Liverpool.

9. Wiz201

Wiz201 PetForums VIP

how long would you ban dogs for? Sods law nothing happens until you let them back in again.

10. paddyjulie

paddyjulie PetForums VIP

I think a vaccination card would be enough , same as boarding kennels , if you have no bookings with dogs at the moment fair enough but to cancel anyone who already have a booking would be a bit overkill IMO.

11. Emmastace

Emmastace PetForums VIP

No we don't have any pre-booked dogs so won't be disappointing anyone that has already got an agreement. People usually book here quite late outside of the school holidays. Apart from me wanting to keep my own dogs safe I have to consider the impact of any claim that might come out of it should someone else's dog fall ill and they have any reason to think they may have been exposed here.
    From the perspective of keeping my own dogs safe, most people can let their dogs out in their own garden without worrying and if they take them for a walk they can disinfect before they go back into their home. I won't be able to do that. From the second they walk out of our apartment they are at risk of any other dog that has been here having left the virus behind. It is the same carpeted staircase to our accommodation as the letting rooms, then through the building (all carpet) to the back door, outside that is the yard that everyone elses dog uses to toilet as well as my own. Through the gate and across the car park to the paddock where I exercise mine and so do the guests. There is no way that they all clear up in the paddock. The parvo virus can live in the earth for years. Even though it has always been around the risk seems greater right now and it's sods law that someone would pick it up somewhere else and bring it here or worse, say they picked it up here and sue.

#11 Emmastace, Sep 19, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 19, 2013
  12. Wiz201

Wiz201 PetForums VIP

I don't think the risk is high enough TBH, you could take a risk with the bookings, then if the worse does happen, you'll have more money to deal with it?

13. Blitz

Blitz PetForums VIP

Certainly sounds like overkill to me and a bit daft to think anyone could sue you. it would be different if there was a huge outbreak in you area, but in that case the sensible thing would be to warn anyone that was booking with a dog and doubtless they would not want to come anyway.
    Your business though so up to you.

14. sezeelson

sezeelson PetForums VIP

The numbers of dogs with suspected parvo has gone up almost 40% compared to last years numbers.

So yes, there is a genuine risk but its hard to know exactly how much risk as different areas are effected differently.

Is there a chance you could redecorate with Lino or hardwood flooring that it can be sufficiently bleached to make it that bit safer?

Hmm, it's hard as parvo is such a resilient virus and not easy to get rid of!

15. BessieDog

BessieDog PetForums VIP

Sorry to disagree with you, but what if every dog friendly place took that attitude? If there was parvovirus in your area I could understand it, but if not I cannot see what the panic is.

Ok, there's an increase this year, but the number of dogs affected must be very low. The problem is that information, mis-information and rumours is spreading like wildfire.

I am trying to get an answer from my vet as to whether Bess is protected against the strains now circulating. If the answer is yes, I'll rest easy -if not, I'll get re vaccinated. Could you not do the same to protect your dogs?

As for your guests you should assume they'd evaluate the risks for themselves and do the same. If they don't, that's their look out.

Sorry, but if we can't take our dogs to stay anywhere it would be a bit miserable.

16. Picklelily

Picklelily PetForums VIP

I think it would be quite hard to prove that they got parvo virus from your property, I would certainly stop the use of your paddock or mark off an area for visitors so your dogs have an area that just belongs to them.

I wonder if steam cleaning kills parvo virus?

40% increase really doesn't mean much if the number of cases originally is low such as 10.

17. sezeelson

sezeelson PetForums VIP

Lol, no it's in the 100's not 10's.

No steam cleaning won't kill parvo, it can withstand extreme temperatures both hot & cold.

18. Spellweaver

Spellweaver PetForums VIP

Yes, people can carry it in on their shoes - so banning dogs won't do anything to reduce an already minimal risk unless you are also going to ban people as well. And if there is no parvo outbreak in your area, the risk really is very minimal.

You could check on Parvo Watch on facebook for people coming from an area where there is an outbreak of Parvo - but again, unless you are going to ban the people from those areas you might as well let their dogs come too.

As others have said, unless there is an outbreak in your area, asking people who come with their dogs to produce proof of vaccination should be enough, both to protect your resident dogs and to avoid any insurance claims.

19. Emmastace

Emmastace PetForums VIP

Hard floor on the stairs would make it too noisy as it is an enclosed staircase. I don't know what H&S would say either cos it would be a slip hazzard.

That's what would worry me in the long run for my own dogs. Mia doesn't go off the property because of her fear of leaving issues so I have to use the paddock for her permanently and if dogs from all over the country use it on a regular basis it puts her more at risk just through contact numbers in a limited space.

I wonder how many of you that think I am being over cautious are happy to invite every unknown dog in the country into your home and garden at this time?

#19 Emmastace, Sep 19, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 19, 2013
  20. Spellweaver

Spellweaver PetForums VIP

Unless they were from Liverpool or Doncaster I wouldn't worry. Our dogs would be no more at risk than walking on the fields around here, or going to a show. And as I said on the Driffield thread, I don't really think our dogs are at risk from the dog at Darlington - my reason for staying away from the show was just to be sure that we were not going to pass the virus on.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice