UK Pet Forums Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7,176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can't let Bess off the lead at the moment as she has the devil in her and will just run. So took her over the farmland walk on the flexi.

Well first of all there were tractors in every field - each with a flock of seagulls behind them! I very nearly ended up chasing them myself as Bess shot over. I managed to get her sort of under control and we carried on up the path.

Came to the point where you are supposed to follow the path across a field, but the path's benn ploughed up and I couldn't see where it went. But there was a tempting wide grassy set aside round the other side of the wood which I knew would bring me back round to the path again. Armed with my excuse of 'sorry gov, I couldn't see where the path went'. Bess and I set off down it. A tractor came close, but no one said anything.

Bess started to get a bit excited, and then suddenly I saw dozens of young partridges. They were rearing them in the wood, and they were in the field, all over the path .... I had Bess's collar up round her ears and she was walking on hind legs as I tried to get her past.

We made it, and slowly she calmed down.

Headed home along the road and every few steps there seemed to be a pheasant in the hedgerow which she'd flush out and try to chase. She got really over excited, and practicing heel work went totally out of the window.

I was relieved to make it home! I think my arms are an inch or two longer now. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
6,664 Posts
It is a bit of a nightmare at the moment isn't it. They are either in their pens at sites ready for release or have all been released. There is an estate round here that sets out over 50,000 of the buggers for shooting season, think I will steer clear of there for a while.

Where hubby works they have set some American black pheasants - they seem even thicker than normal - after dropping him off yesterday I 'followed' one as it ran down the road for at least 500m till we got to the junction, luckily he turned left, I wanted to go right :D.

·
Registered
12,225 Posts
As a gundog I'd instill some steadiness training in her if she's that bad other than that she's probably just getting to her roots. My own gundogs will just flush but a couple of times when a young'uns not been quick off the mark they've caught it and tried to bring it back alive, not due to my dogs, but the ones they tried to bring back never were brought back alive.. or at all. :001_unsure:

Have you got a leave command in place? Or even a stop whistle?

She's only young yet.. train the above in her and you'll not have any problems in future.

I have to say though, I'd find my dogs a pain if there were loads of game in one place, I can deal with the odd one or two they put out..

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.