Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

partner V pets

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by foxxy cleopatra, Jul 9, 2009.

?

pet V partner

1. yes, id get it rehomed

1 vote(s)
    4.3%
  2. no, id dump my true love

3 vote(s)
    13.0%
  3. we would find out a way to make it work

18 vote(s)
    78.3%
  4. i didnt know you could be allergic to goldfish?

1 vote(s)
    4.3%
  1. foxxy cleopatra

foxxy cleopatra PetForums VIP

just looking at rescue cats, and some lovely ones are brought in because they get new partners who are allergic...so my question is....

if you found the love of your life, but who was also allergic to your pet..what would you do?

kittykat likes this.
  2. kittykat

kittykat PetForums VIP

buy him some antihistamines! haha ..... I'm also allergic but have 2 kitties but I'd never give them away.

3. suzy93074

suzy93074 PetForums VIP

We would find a way to sort it.....no way I could give me kitty up he is my little babyxx

4. LostGirl

LostGirl PetForums VIP

we would work around it, well we already do im slightly allergic to my own cat lol shes a long haired one and if i stroke and cuddle her for to long i sneeze like an idiot and eye itch i wouldnt ever get rid of her tho

5. foxxy cleopatra

i think i made it too easy with the ''we would work it out" quesion... hmmm what if your true love asked you to get rid of the pet....hmmm thats more difficult. :D

6. animallover111

Mmmmm i didnt know what to vote as im single at the mo......and anyone i meet has to accept they dont just get me i come with two children and a small zoo.....if he doesnt accept that little lot then he isnt the one for me!!! :D

1 person likes this.
  7. dont have a fella so any fella coming into my life has to live by this rule: love me, love my kids, love my pets! simples!

On the other hand if the absoloutle love of my life arrived on my doorstep and was allergic, he would have to get some antihistamines. I couldnt live my life without pets.

The only time i would consider rehoming my pets over something like this would be if my children developed a serious allergy. If it could not be controlled with hygiene, homeopathy, meds and common sense and it was seriously risking damaging their health, then thats the only way i would be moved to consider rehoming.

8. kittykat

kittykat PetForums VIP

Get rid? hmmmm No Chance! My pets come first ..... :D

9. suzy93074

suzy93074 PetForums VIP

I would still say no unless it was life threatening but if not then hell no! I think if it really came down to him telling me to get rid of the cat I would say lets get seperate housing cos I couldnt bear to be parted from my jinks

10. foxxy cleopatra

i actaully cant believe some people rehome their pets because of it :( its so sad :(

11. Classyellie

Classyellie PetForums VIP

I'm single but there's no way that I'd get rid of my babies because of a man! They came first after all :D My dogs are my life :001_wub:

12. kittykat

kittykat PetForums VIP

Yeah I know, unfortunately people also use it as an excuse :(

13. cherrie_b

cherrie_b PetForums VIP

My bf reckons he is allergic to cats...I don't though. He isn't too keen on my cat Lola. I have told him though, I would get rid of him and everything I own before I got rid of her!! :D

14. Dylan & Daisy

Dylan & Daisy PetForums VIP

Himself is the love of my life and if he had an allergy to animals, i'd hope i knew this BEFORE i got a pet :rolleyes:

BUT

if i didn't then im sorry but himself would come first EVERY time.. he is the most important person in my life and i would choose him before anyone or anything :D

15. suzy93074

suzy93074 PetForums VIP

That is a very valid point Summer.....to know before hand would be best and I can understand fully that you would put your OH first;) :)

16. animallover111

Ithink the sad thing is we on here all love our pets to the extreme and we would not be without them no matter what but what we have to remember is not everyone is like us.......we all know the cruelty that happens with animals if everyone was like the many members on here cruelty to animals would end!!

I have had many people say im mad and crazy with having so many animals,i know its puts prospective bf's off but it really doesnt bother me......my children and my pets are part of me.......and i wouldnt be without them....i guess whats important to some people isnt important to others...........We have just been given a budgie as the owner did not want it as its not the friendlist budgie the owner was going to let it outside knowing it wouldnt survive we offered to take it,we went out bought it a new cage etc and it is the nastiest little peice of work i have ever come across!All i have heard since we got the budgie is "why do you have to get involved""why didnt you just leave it"etc but because of how i am i couldnt just leave it call me crazy,mad etc if i have to spend the rest of my life single so be it........

17. Fleur

Fleur Vassal to Lilly and Ludo

It's a difficult one. :confused:
    I think I would try everything we could to control his allergies. But although I love my dogs my family have to come first and if any of them developed a severe allergy we couldn't control then I'm afraid I would have to consider rehoming them.:(

But bless my OH, when the kids were small we had a pair of rats, he got a really allergy to them - he just had to walk into the house and his asthma would kick off severly - however wopuldn't get rid of them because they were the kids, it was managable because the rats were adults when we got them and only lived another 2 years, but if it had been a cat or dog and we would of been looking at 15 years plus

18. Dylan & Daisy

Dylan & Daisy PetForums VIP

Thanks sweetie ;):D

....if i were single and had a pet then any incoming guy would have to accept it and said pet was here to stay however, if the pet comes along into an existing relationship then i think it's a totally different scenerio especially where an allergy is concerned. Im not sure how you can work round this type of issue as its usually the pet hair that causes the problem, its going to be very difficult to keep the partner and the pet apart and if they cant share the same house is it really fair to either of them?

Personally i think if my partner got a pet which i then developed an allergy to and then he said "well sorry darling i love you but i love the pet more so you'll have to go then", having been with me for some time (years maybe), i dont know about anyone else but i'd feel like im worth less than a dog/cat/goldfish and they couldnt have really loved me at all :(

Just me and my thoughts Lol

Fleur likes this.
  19. suzy93074

suzy93074 PetForums VIP

Yes! I would feel the same.....I do love my partner and obviously If it was life threatening I would put him first....I suppose it depends on the circumstances and how the issue is dealt with i.e trying to get help and rehoming as a last resort....I know before I got jinks me and oh had a long long talk about it -(he wasnt particularly keen) some peeps go headlong into getting a pet before looking at all the different aspects:):)

20. CheekoAndCo

CheekoAndCo PetForums VIP

My animals have got me through more than any human has so it would be my pets every time.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice