Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Parti Poodles

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by SEVEN_PETS, May 11, 2010.

1. SEVEN_PETS

SEVEN_PETS PetForums VIP

Hi

I love parti poodles, they are so cute and so unique. although they are a fault in the show ring, would you think about getting one? would you recommend a parti poodle breeder? do you think its ethical to breed cosmetic faults, even though it won't affect the dog's ability to be a pet or a working dog?

2. luvmydogs

luvmydogs PetForums VIP

Thats a great question. I don't breed for colour at all, its just not that important in my breed - the working characteristics, health and temperament are paramount. However my sister used to breed boxers - and culled the white ones. :( When I bred Bullmastiffs, I would never have bred from a dog with a lot of white on them, but would sell them as pets. Breeding for a 'fault' like a parti poodle is an interesting one. I love the black and tan ones.

3. Burrowzig

Burrowzig PetForums VIP

I think it's the show people who consider it a fault that are unethical. They bang on about dogs being fit for purpose then reject them for being the wrong colour or pattern.
    I can understand people not breeding from white boxers because of the deafness issues - can't see what the problem would be with mastiffs showing white though.

4. cutekiaro1

cutekiaro1 PetForums VIP

I dont have a problem with anybody breeding faults depending on what they are. Take the GSD for example, long coats, blue's, white's, liver's are all classed as faults but there are breeders that deliberatly breed them. However they have done all health tests on their dogs and although they cant be shown they are only sold to pet homes which is fine. I cant imagine the world without the long coat and white etc GSD. They are what they are and if people want a blue coat so be it.
    Just because the showing world doesnt like them thats not to say they shouldnt exist.
    Even breeders that breed to the standard can sometimes produce long coats or various colours that are unexpected.

5. SEVEN_PETS

SEVEN_PETS PetForums VIP

i agree with this. i don't think its right to breed a colour that has a fault, such as white boxers with deafness, or double merles etc as it's not fair on the dog. however, sometimes some crop up in litters and they are just as deserved to live as the other pups so i don't agree with culling at all.

completely agree. white GSDs are gorgeous.

6. Spellweaver

Spellweaver PetForums VIP

Didn't even know there were parti poddles - had to google to find out what they were! If it's just cosmetic then I can't see why it can't be allowed in the breed standard - wonder why the breed clubs don't want it in?

7. cutekiaro1

cutekiaro1 PetForums VIP

I had to google it too lol :lol:

8. juliakerle

juliakerle PetForums Junior

hi i am also a big fan of parti poodles and am thinking of homing one in the next six months or so to go with my lovely white toy.
    there is such a thing as the parti coloured poodle club, ive been on their website and is seriuly thinking of forstering or rescuing i emailed them a while back and am disaponted not to have a reply.

i think pari's are beautiful

9. Wyrd

Wyrd PetForums VIP

I like Parti Poodles as well as Phantoms.

Theres actually 2 phantoms and a parti for rehoming on dogs blog at the moment.

10. DirtyGertie

DirtyGertie PetForums VIP

Many years ago (1980s) I had a black standard poodle, we didn't have him to show, we had him as a pet and he was lovely. I too didn't know what a parti poodle was so I googled it. They are lovely, I would seriously consider one of these if I was wanting another dog, which I'm not, which is a shame!

11. Pointermum

Pointermum PetForums VIP

I have to say the parti colored poodles are much nicer than the solid :tongue_smilie:

12. the flintstones

the flintstones PetForums Member

LOL When I read your header I thought it was about Poodles going clubbing ha ha x.
    I had visions of Poodles drinking Bolly and smoking cigarettes with those long black holder thingys

13. Bijou

Bijou PetForums VIP

I think the important point here is that the breeder is ethical and does all the health tests etc in the same way that good breeders of solid colours do ...and that they are not simply breeding parti poodles as a fashionable gimmick

14. jayne5364

jayne5364 PetForums VIP

I also had to google lol. How beautiful they are.

15. bewitched

bewitched PetForums VIP

Ssh don't let my Lula hear you say that :lol:

I adore partis and would love one for my next poodle. I see no problem in breeding as long as there are no health implications involved. Now I just need to work on the OH :D

16. Colette

Colette PetForums VIP

I prefer the partis to the solid colours personally. We had a phantom pup in the puppy class we took Solo to - he was gorgeous.

I'm never going to buy a poodle so only a hypothetical response, but I would go for a parti if I could find a good breeder.

Like most people by the sounds of it, I don't see what the issue is with certain colours not being acceptable, providing there are no health issues involved.

17. Wyrd

Wyrd PetForums VIP

Another question with poodles, why don't we have Moyen poodles in this country? I would have thought it would be a really popular size.

18. bewitched

bewitched PetForums VIP

Technically we do. They are large miniatures or small standards.

19. juliakerle

juliakerle PetForums Junior

really :D i cant find it thou x

20. Nicky10

Nicky10 PetForums VIP

I like the partis and if the breeder is doing everything ethically I don't see the problem with it. Any poodle I had would never be a show dog anyway that coat :blink: so it's wouldn't matter

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice