Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

parents who let kids walk big dogs!!!

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by kelseye, May 24, 2010.

1. kelseye

kelseye Banned

yesterday i took angel for a walk (my daughter) and when we was out i saw to young girls walking a huskey the kids was getting pulled left right and centre she could not controll him !! the dog may be nice as pie but kids that young (6) cuz i stopped to speek to her,should not be allowed to walk big dogs on there own anythink could of happened .
    pluss it was to hot to be walking dogs yesterday and she had the poor thing out for a long time the poor dog was panting like no tomorrow .make me sick people who dont think about there animals in hot weather :rolleyes:

2. xxwelshcrazyxx

xxwelshcrazyxx PetForums VIP

Oh! never, christ those breed of dogs dont like the heat at the best of times, I agree kids shouldnt be allowed to take big breed dogs out on their own. They are so strong and could pull a child over really easy, what if that dog had seen something and bolted across the road, child or dog killed or very badly injured, how stupid are the parents for not thinking straight.

3. kelseye

kelseye Banned

i know i was shocked seeing these little kids with this dog anythink could of happened :rolleyes:

4. Zaros

Zaros Pet Forums, P/resident Evil

Oops!

[​IMG]

:lol: :lol: :lol:

5. classixuk

classixuk PetForums VIP

LOL. I was just about to do the same thing!Great minds and all that!

:)

6. Zaros

Zaros Pet Forums, P/resident Evil

Yet then again, upon reflection, I suppose the OP is correct in their thinking, anything could happen? ;)

[​IMG]
    :scared:

7. TobyK9

TobyK9 Banned

Ref to the clever picture, just to point out, there was clearly an adult taking the picture, so it doesn't have a bearing on what the OP was saying :D

I agree that children shouldn't be allowed to walk a dog WITHOUT AN ADULT TO TAKE PICTURES LOL it does get a bit silly though with little children trying to control dogs when there should really be an adult about

8. silly gilly

silly gilly PetForums Member

I saw 2 young girls with a crowd of other children walking a big rott last week. this dog has already got a reputation for unpredictabilty, The parents are unapproachable for various reasons we wont go into and the dog warden wont take any action?????????? Im very strong and my lurcher can nearly tug me off my feet if he sees something he thinks he can chase so god help their chances with an 8st dog, it beggars belief how these numptys allow it.

9. kendal

kendal PetForums Senior

i was probably about 7 or 8 wen my mum let me walk our cocker spaniels on my own.

i then found out when i got older that she never let me go alone as she used to fallow me and hide in the bushes :rolleyes:

i think it is good for kids to walk dog but i think the parent should be with them and the dog has to be well behaved first.

10. Clare7435

Clare7435 PetForums VIP

After seeing a few attacks on our park I wouldn't allow a child to walk any sized dog on their own in all honesty....there's a lass of about 10 who takes dogs out for extra pocket money, I like to see kids thinking up ways to make money don't get me wrong, but one of the dogs she walks is huge and it attacked a jrt a few weeks ago whilst in her care causing serious damage, the poor girl didn't know what to do....ad certainly couldn't stop it, and on the other side of things if she'd have been the owner of the smaller dog how would she have coped taking it back to the owners....there are all sorts of complications.....which is why I wouldn't allow a child to walk mine.Also it's not just big breed dogs who can cause a problem for younger kids walking them....I just wouldnt feel safe at all if i knew a child was walking my 2.

11. SpringerHusky

SpringerHusky PetForums VIP

I used to have all my neighbor kids beg and plead me to walk barney and Maya, an the same question came up every time,"what would happen if the dogs got into a fight?" and I often got the answer,"come back and get you" well that would be no good by then a dog could be dead.

I've seen far too many kids walking dogs, I've seen a young girl of about 4-5 years old on her own walking a jack russel only to be pulled over and dragged along the ground as it ran off to go play with another dog.

I used to see kids about 10-12 walking a big shep, he was soft as hell but always made me cringe what could happen. I'm sorry but I do not believe a child should walk a dog on it's on no matter what size, it's irresponsible. (a parent present doesn't quite count)

12. hawksport

hawksport Banned

I'm sure there was a child pulled into the road and hit by a car a couple of years ago while walking a GSD on his / her own.

13. SEVEN_PETS

SEVEN_PETS PetForums VIP

If a child is responsible and mature and strong enough to hold a dog, then its fine. I walked my dog on my own when i was about 14 but she was a cavalier and she didn't pull so it wasn't an issue. I see german shepherds being walked by kids, I think the parents make the children walk the dog cos they can't be bothered. :mad:

14. LostGirl

LostGirl PetForums VIP

Yep thats what its like around here, many of the dogs are DA staffs aswell sadly poor kids are pulled along like little rag dolls by these very strong dogs because the parents are to lazy to do it themselfs. Ive seen children in my sons class walking dogs so they are 6yrs old out playing alone and walking dogs alone!

It does depend on the age of child and breed of dog,

15. dobermummy

dobermummy Banned

16. flufffluff39

flufffluff39 PetForums VIP

We have that problem around here but they are normally powerfull staffs they're walking.

17. canuckjill

canuckjill PetForums VIP

I started walking dogs when I was around 8. We owned a big ole lab but he was way too much for me, so I used to walk a little old lady's Corgi. When we moved to Canada we couldn't couldn't own a dog for a couple of years or so so I walked all the neighbourhood Minature Poodles, when I got older I walked a Vizla around 13 I was, what a beautiful dog that was. So I guess it depends on whether the dog is trained or not I never had any issues....Jill

18. Nicky10

Nicky10 PetForums VIP

I wouldn't let a kid walk a dog on their own with an adult there sure but way too much risk of the kid or dog getting hurt

19. SEVEN_PETS

SEVEN_PETS PetForums VIP

I was wondering what age you think is suitable for a child to walk a dog on their own? obviously depends on breed, but what age for large dogs and what age for small dogs?

20. Nicky10

Nicky10 PetForums VIP

Teenager as long as they were responsible

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice