Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Paracetamol & Gabapentine.

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by StormyThai, Mar 17, 2020.

1. StormyThai

StormyThai Moderator
    Staff Member

Unfortunately Thai has started to react to the Galliprant that he was on so that is 3 different NSaids that we have tried and all 3 ended badly :(
    So with that in mind we have decided to look outside the NSaid group and the vet suggested Paracetamol.

I'm off to read medical papers to get the scientific view of this combination but wanted to ask others if they have had this combo and if made a difference (anecdotal I know), what (if any) side effects did you see and if it worked long term or was it just a stop gap between different drugs?

Any insight would be great :)

2. Blitz

Blitz PetForums VIP

What combination. Paracetamol with what. A lot of humans struggle with anything but paracetamol. I take anti inflammatories but have been through a lot before finding one that suits me. I only take them when necessary so will sometimes just take co dydramol or straight paracetamol. I know dogs cannot take everything humans take but it will be the same principle.

3. O2.0

O2.0 PetForums VIP

Bates isn't on Paracetamol, but he does take Gabapentin - 300mg morning and evening, sometimes I'll give him a midday pill when he's been particularly active. He also gets a monthly injection of chondroprotec which is similar to adequan we used to give horses, don't know if you remember that.

Anyway, the combination of the chondroprotec and gabapentin has been fantastic. He's not back to his 5 year old self, but he's also not 3 legged lame every time he lays down for more than 30 minutes, or takes forever to get his legs working right when he wakes up in the morning.
    I've seen a big difference.
    The gabapentin is also very inexpensive. Less than $14 for 90 pills which last me well over a month.

4. StormyThai

StormyThai Moderator
    Staff Member

Vet wants to try the Paracetamol with Gabapentine :)

Thai is already on 600mg (2 x 300mg) of Gabapentine 3 times a day...I must ask the vet about joint injections, he did so well after the PET therapy that I forgot.

5. O2.0

O2.0 PetForums VIP

You could easily add another pill to Thai's dose, Bates is the same size as Thai and on days he's more active I give him a mid-day pill in addition to his morning and evening ones. It does seem to help.

The injections are actually IM, not in the joint, so I give them to him at home. This drug, you start with a series of 8 shots every 4 days, then drop down to once a month. It's a lot easier if you can inject at home obviously, which I'm sure Thai would be fine with.
    It's called chondroprotec and was originally marketed as a wound healing agent, promote healing and keep them moist. But internally it apparently also promotes cartilage regeneration. So it's not pain relief per-se, but helps heal the damage from the inside.
    It's not a magic bullet, Bates is not 100%, but he's doing really well for an 11 year old 80 pound dog with bad knees :)

havoc and StormyThai like this.
  6. StormyThai

StormyThai Moderator
    Staff Member

I'm happy to give both IV and IM (useful skill with the horses lol) so I will have a chat with the vet when I pick his meds up.
    Thank you :)

O2.0 likes this.
  7. 2Hounds

2Hounds PetForums VIP

My dog takes paracetamol & gabapentin, it was added as a top up over a year ago when gabapentin wasn't quite sufficient & it did help. I think she went downhill as couldn't go to hydrotherapy for a few months.

There's veterinary drug pardaleV which is paracetamol+ codine but my vet prefers paracetamol which means I can just buy human ones cheaply (well when everyone isn't stockpiling).

Vet also added galliprant once it became available last year. Thankfully she's not had any side effects as its working well for her.
    There's lots of different medications & treatments not just nsaids so hopefully will find something that helps. Laser can help with inflammation & pain in some dogs.

If not already found them CAM have wealth of resources https://caninearthritis.co.uk/

#7 2Hounds, Mar 17, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 17, 2020
  8. Leanne77

Leanne77 PetForums VIP

Flynn is on a combination of Gabapentin, Amantadine and Paracetamol. When he first started on pain meds I did see a big difference in his energy and demeanour, he was so much better. However, I do still see a decline in him as time goes on. How he'd be without the pain meds though I have no idea.

Jessie was on Gabapentin, Paracetamol and Onsior and again, they made no difference to her really. She just kept declining at a steady rate until I had to mkake the decision to have her PTS as she was struggling to even stand in the end.

As for side effects, I havent seen any to my knowledge.

StormyThai likes this.
  9. tabulahrasa

tabulahrasa PetForums VIP

Brock was on pardale v for hmm, about 4 years? And gabapentin for a fair chunk of that time.

His appetite increased, I’m assuming that was the gabapentin.

Other than that, no issues and they worked... until he got worse and nothing did.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice