Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Paracetamol for dogs?

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by Kayla1234, Jul 3, 2020.

1. Kayla1234

Kayla1234 PetForums Newbie

My dog has a tumour between his back legs. Because of the place the tumour is in the vets say it is impossible to remove any excess tissue if they remove the tumour so there is a high possibility it will return! My dog is still very happy in himself so the vets suggested giving him paracetamol twice a day to keep him comfortable. I’ve read online that paracetamol is dangerous for dogs? Is it? Is it safe to give him? He’s an American bulldog and weighs about 14-15kg but I’m worried I’m going to harm him!

2. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

Is there any reason your vet hasnt offered prescription medication which would probably be tolerated better and more effective? There are so many available.

3. Kayla1234

He’s been on and off antibiotics and steroids for the past 4 years for skin allergies, then for the past 4 months he has been on a stronger dose to try and shrink the tumour but it didn’t seem to help. The vets think his body may just be used to the medication now.

4. SusieRainbow

SusieRainbow Moderator
    Staff Member

Regarding Paracetamol, my miniature dachshund was prescribed Calpol post-operatively ,she was fine. Under Veterinary supervsion , and the vet working out the correct dose should be OK.

5. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

Ahh, i wonder if its because of the steroids as many of the pain killers are NSAIDS.

Paracetamol is safe if given under veterinary guidance.

There are a few other, stronger, ones that can be used alongside steroids too, but may not be needed at this stage if the pain level isnt too great. Tramadol is one.

6. Kayla1234

The lump doesn’t seem to bother him but the side of it rubs on his right leg when he walks causing the a small area to keep getting infected, it is that that’s making him uncomfortable but I also have hibiscrub to apply to that area. The vet seemed to think he will start to deteriorate badly in about 6 months which I was quite shocked by as like I said above he’s still very happy in himself and seems the same as usual. Thanks for the replies!

7. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

Have you tried putting something like vaseline on it to reduce friction?

Musher Secret can be used on wounds too.

8. Kayla1234

Good idea! I never even thought of that!

9. FletchNo1

FletchNo1 PetForums Member

My old Staffie had Pardale, which I believe is paracetamol? Speak to your vet is always the safest bet!

10. Shell77

Shell77 PetForums Newbie

My dog has half a paracetamol on the morning and half in the evening which is prescribed by the vet

11. Leanne77

Leanne77 PetForums VIP

My dog has 3 quarters of a paracetamol twice a day every day for his arthritis so it's perfectly safe under vet guidance.

I believe Pardale V is paracetamol and codeine.

12. raysh

raysh PetForums Newbie

Don't give paracetamol to your cat under any circumstances. Paracetamol is a very popular painkiller in humans, however it can be toxic or fatal in small animals. Dogs are less sensitive to paracetamol than cats. A 20kg dog would need to ingest over seven 500mg tablets in order to suffer toxic effects. In cats, one 250mg paracetamol tablet could be fatal. Paracetamol causes severe damage to the liver and red blood cells. Try to find pankillers supposed for dogs on canadadrugsdirect.cоm

#12 raysh, Aug 1, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 1, 2020
  13. tabulahrasa

tabulahrasa PetForums VIP

Dogs can have paracetamol under veterinary supervision... and yep it’ll be because of the steroids that it isn’t NSAIDs.

My last dog was on pardale for years, which is paracetamol and codeine.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice