Welcome!

Welcome to PetForums, the UK's most popular and friendly pet owners community. Please 'Sign Up' if you'd like to take part and contribute to our forum.

Panting

Discussion in 'Dog Breeding' started by Jbab, Oct 11, 2018.

1. Jbab

Jbab PetForums Junior

so - day 54 today. Last night she paced around the bed a lot and was panting but was quite a hot night (but not so hot that I was out of the covers). However- today she has been fine. Tonight tho we have built her Whelping box in the lounge and she happily and quite proudly it seemed snuggled in there with my 8 year daughter- complete with heat pad to test! Anyway , she wasn’t on the heat pad but is panting again. Not manically but gently. Not too interested in food aswell. Not that I can do anything but is it to too early ? I am hoping from the weekend onwards (so 57 days onwards). Not worried enough as yet for a vet but want to be informed. Thanks

2. Jbab

Jbab PetForums Junior

Attached Files:

3. Jbab

Jbab PetForums Junior

Both happy. After now it is going into ‘lotties’ room and away from everyone until she needs it

4. Rafa

Rafa PetForums VIP

Are you sure she isn't too hot?

Day 54 would be very early. What Breed is she and how many pups is she carrying?

Whilst panting is an indicator of labour, I would look for another reason at this point.

Are you calculating her due date as 63 days from the first mating?

5. Jbab

Jbab PetForums Junior

Yes I know the exact date. I’m hoping she was just got as she seems happy in herself but does have on and off panting spells. She is a shi tzu x Maltese and a confirmed 5 but thought she saw 6
    Thank you and apologies for so many questions!
    Also one more - can she have a bath at this stage? She’s not too keen but really could do with one lol

6. Rafa

Rafa PetForums VIP

There's no reason why she can't have a bath.

She is a dense coated type and could well be too hot, given that she's pregnant.

She doesn't have a big litter, so I would expect her to go close to day 63.

Blitz likes this.
  7. Jbab

Jbab PetForums Junior

Thank you for the support. I am worrying. I have had several litters of kittens and my common sense is good but just want mum to be ok and healthy pups is a gift - especially as my daughter is wanting one. I was less worried with my own pregnancies

8. Jbab

Jbab PetForums Junior

Hi - I’m really sorry to keep asking but is a kind of grunting/moaning noise normal when she moves. It doesn’t strike me as alarming and an urgent vet job - just more like a groan - a bit like if we lifted something heavy or ran up stairs etc? Only done it since pregnant.

9. Rafa

Rafa PetForums VIP

Yes.

She's coming to the end of her pregnancy and she feels very heavy and uncomfortable.

Are you still walking her and is she eating?

10. Jbab

Jbab PetForums Junior

Thank you - yes she is eating but has slowed and yes walking but slow and not far at all

11. Rafa

Rafa PetForums VIP

That would be normal at this stage.

12. Jbab

Jbab PetForums Junior

Hi again. So this morning she was sick and has just tucked herself away to sleep. No panting again yet tho.

13. Rafa

Rafa PetForums VIP

Are you sure of her due date?

14. Pricivius

Pricivius PetForums Newbie

From a previous post, OP posted that the dogs first tied on 19 August which would make today 54 days. Her due date (63 days) is 21 October.

15. Jbab

Jbab PetForums Junior

So all still ok but she is very very restless and her nipples have sagged a bit. Smells from being sick so hoping a gentle bath soon. On the plus side there are several wriggling bits on her tumm so they moving nicely.
    Thanks for the support - I know I should worry less

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice