Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Panting When Nursing

Discussion in 'Dog Breeding' started by Lolas Mummy&Daddy, Apr 8, 2019.

1. Lolas Mummy&Daddy

Lolas Mummy&Daddy PetForums Newbie

Lola had 12 Puppies Friday 11.30pm to Saturday 11.30am only 10 survived it’s now Monday night and while she’s nursing she’s panting so heavily I’m worried! She’s also been sick today and had diarrhoea But that seems so of resolved it’s self she’s been very fussy about what she eats but is drinking plenty and still very active. Temperature 38.5c

2. David C

David C PetForums Senior

What breed is she? Thats a large litter and she will probably need a good calcium supplement or she could come down with eclampsia and if that happens she will no longer be able to feed the pups and you will have to do it all. As for food tempt her with roast chicken etc. You need to get her eating otherwise she will end up a wreck. I would also advice taking her to the vets for a check up seeing as she is the way you have said.

3. Linda Weasel

Linda Weasel PetForums VIP

My bitches always panted a lot (I think it’s something to do with nursing encouraging the uterus to contract) but it did pass after a while; can’t remember how long.

Check with your Vet if there’s anything you’re not happy about as you know your dog best.

4. Blitz

Blitz PetForums VIP

Sounds fairly normal to me especially with a litter of that size.

5. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

Nursing is quite uncomfortable at first as it encourages the uterus to contract as well as taking time for the nipples to adjust to being suckled ime ;)

6. Lolas Mummy&Daddy

Lolas Mummy&Daddy PetForums Newbie

She’s a small show cocker spaniel. We went to the vets yesterday and she’s doing good she said the upset tummy was probably from eating the after birth and panting might just be her getting hot with feeding them all, She’s slowly starting to eat again Thank God! I’ve been so worried! Xxx

Thank you everyone for the advice.

David C likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice