UK Pet Forums Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Tonight as it was such a lovely evening I thought I would pop Izzy to the park for a run with her ball. Izzy was offlead and we were having a nice wander and getting close to the area where we usually play fetch so she was getting excited. There was a couple coming in the other direction with 3 dogs; a rottie, a Boston terrier and a small dog wearing a coat. The Boston terrier was also offlead and started approaching us, the owner called it back but it ignored him and started growling at Izzy then it ran at her and chased her off towards some bushes in the distance! The boston terriers owner kept calling it and eventually it came back but there was no sign of Izzy, the owner just said "oh sorry, he likes to chase" then walked off leaving me minus a dog!

I called for her, trying not to panic as I couldn't see her but failing, I started walking in the direction she had ran hoping she hadn't bolted out of the park and a minute later I spotted her sat bolt upright in front of a hedge (I couldnt see her from a distance cos she's black so blended into the shadows and the way she was sitting meant I couldn't see her light up collar) staring at me but not willing to move a muscle! Once I got a few metres from her I bent down and she ran towards me as fast as her little legs could manage, she was terrified, rubbing up against my legs, panting, licking her lips, wide eyed! Bless her! I walked her back to the square where we play with her ball to let her relax and she walked perfectly to heel off lead the whole way cos she was still so frightened, then I let her play with her ball for a while and she soon relaxed again. Luckily one of her friends we haven't seen for ages as they've moved out the area turned up so she had a lovely run with Maisy and the walk ended on a positive but it's the first time she's been out of my sight for so long and has bolted like that and I was really scared I might have lost her!

Was Izzy just being a wimp or should this guy have put his dog back on a lead when he knew it chases other dogs? It all happened so quick and I was so worried about my monkey dog that I didn't think to say anything and now I'm really upset at myself for not defending her and not telling this guy to keep his dog on a lead if it's not sociable.

·
Registered
39,229 Posts
The guy definitely should have put his dog back on lead. Reminds me of a time when a dog walker who used to walk about 8 large dogs at a time let them charge Kilo as a puppy; he ran off into the woods whilst the walker laughed :mad:.

So horrible isn't it? I am pleased you found Izzy so quickly, but sorry she was in such a state; Kilo was too :(.

Apart from frightening monkey dog his little dog might charge the wrong dog one day.

·
Registered
6,126 Posts
Oh no poor Izzy and you :( Sounds like we've both had a fright with our terrified little girls today, it's horrible when you don't know where they are isn't it.

Glad she was ok though and that you were able to end the walk with some positive play :)

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The guy definitely should have put his dog back on lead. Reminds me of a time when a dog walker who used to walk about 8 large dogs at a time let them charge Kilo as a puppy; he ran off into the woods whilst the walker laughed :mad:.

So horrible isn't it? I am pleased you found Izzy so quickly, but sorry she was in such a state; Kilo was too :(.

Apart from frightening monkey dog his little dog might charge the wrong dog one day.
Losing her for just a minute was horrible, I have no idea how Cravensmum must have felt last year when she lost her boys overnight! Seeing her so frightened was awful, poor Kilo pup, I dont know how people can let their dog scare others (intentionally or not) and not do something about it. I'll know to avoid them in future and will be more prepared to say something to the owner if we come across them again.

She seems to be Ok now, just sleeping with her head on my feet

Oh no poor Izzy and you :( Sounds like we've both had a fright with our terrified little girls today, it's horrible when you don't know where they are isn't it.

Glad she was ok though and that you were able to end the walk with some positive play :)
I think we both deserve a nice glass of wine ;)

I hope Lily is OK now and no worse the wear for her ordeal!

·
Registered
10,738 Posts
Glad it turned out ok.

" He likes to chase." hmmmm if i saw him again it would be me doing the chasing :devil:

I had a similar thing a couple of years back with a pair of border terriers. I hadn't put Tink on lead as they were being walked parallel in the opposite direction anbout 10m away. When we had passed they turned adn charged at Tink she disappeared into the trees, I heard her scream i presume she released her anal glands at that point, the 2 border terriers returned Tink didn't. they were ok " as long as the dog wasn't nervous" :eek: :rolleyes: In the owners defence he did take his dogs back to the car and help look for Tink it took 45 mins to find her cowering under a gorse bush.

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Glad it turned out ok.

" He likes to chase." hmmmm if i saw him again it would be me doing the chasing :devil:

I had a similar thing a couple of years back with a pair of border terriers. I hadn't put Tink on lead as they were being walked parallel in the opposite direction anbout 10m away. When we had passed they turned adn charged at Tink she disappeared into the trees, I heard her scream i presume she released her anal glands at that point, the 2 border terriers returned Tink didn't. they were ok " as long as the dog wasn't nervous" :eek: :rolleyes: In the owners defence he did take his dogs back to the car and help look for Tink it took 45 mins to find her cowering under a gorse bush.
Poor Tink she must have been so frightened:(! At least the guy helped to look for her but I would have thought prevention was better than cure.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.