Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Pancreatitis inconclusive - diet Q and blather

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by picaresque, Feb 28, 2017.

1. picaresque

picaresque Mongrelist

Gracie took ill over the weekend and had to see the vet on Sunday. She was really not herself, had a high temperature and on examination it was her abdominal area that was causing her pain. They tested for pancreatitis but it came back inconclusive, so she had an antibiotic and a painkiller injection - methadone :eek: - and was booked in for the next morning, potentially to have scans depending on how she had reacted to treatment. Anyway she was miles better the next day so we've held off on scanning for now and she's on oral antibiotics, Omeprazole and we've changed her pain relief regime - she has been on daily Metacam for a while now alongside Tramadol for her hip and elbow dysplasia and naturally the Metacam could be what's caused the problem so she's off that for now, probably indefinitely. Since pancreatitis hasn't been ruled out we've been advised to stick to a low fat diet, have stocked up on Chappie tins but am wondering about dry food - I don't mind giving Chappie dry if necessary but would be interested in alternatives; I gather for dry food under 8% fat is advised so most things under that would be ok, some of the Burns varieties for example?
    All in all we've been very worried, for a moment I thought she might be on her way out so I'm so happy she's currently on the mend even if we don't know exactly what's wrong. The vet does still want to scan her at some point to rule out anything like a tumour however because of her age and condition and her slow heart rate (this has been noted before, just something else to keep an eye on...) there is a risk having to sedate her for this so we're playing it by ear.
    Anyway thanks for reading, any advice would be appreciated.

2. Shikoku

Shikoku PetForums VIP

I'm sorry to hear about Gracie, I'm glad she is feeling better and I hope she continues to improve :)

@SixStar I believe one of her boys has Pancreatitis and requires a low fat food, hopefully she can recommend some brands.

picaresque likes this.
  3. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

Poor Gracie, glad the meds have helped though.

Hope she will settle now and stay well :)

picaresque likes this.
  4. rona

rona Still missing my boys

That must have been very worrying. Glad she seems better and hope you can sort some appropriate food

picaresque likes this.
  5. winter

winter PetForums Senior

So sorry to hear Gracie has been ill, poor Gracie must be so worrying, hope she's feeling better.

picaresque likes this.
  6. Burrowzig

Burrowzig PetForums VIP

Ziggy has chronic pancreatitis and does very well on Wainwrights grain free light turkey (7.5% fat). It's on offer at the moment (or was last week). Zig also can't take metacam.

7. Mum2Heidi

Mum2Heidi PetForums VIP

To start you off, I've been noting a few that Sixstar has mentioned
    WW grain free light 7.5%
    WW turkey light 7.5%
    Wafcol salmon and potato light 6%
    MilliesWolfHeart Highland/Tracker Mix 8.5%

Hope Gracie is much better v soon

picaresque and SixStar like this.
  8. Sled dog hotel

Sled dog hotel PetForums VIP

If they did the inhouse idexx snap test for pancreatitis then I know that usually indicates positive or negative and as far as I know its pretty accurate. One of mine had it when pancreatitis was suspected and hers was negative, although the vet did say that if it were positive he had taken extra blood as he would send off the more finite test to the lab which tells more.

It could be that its the metacam that's caused the stomach pain it is one of the known side affects that it can cause in some dogs. Omeprazole is really good at protecting the stomach and calming things down, and tends to work very quickly, I have to take it myself to protect my stomach against the steroids I have to take as they were causing issues. NSAIDs like metacam are known for it too. So could be that.

If pancreatitis is still a possibility though it would make sense to use a lower fat diet. Even if it is just the metacam causing inflammation it would help at the moment.
    I found if I ate fattier or rich food it would make mine flare up even more prior to taking the omeprazole.

Katalyst and picaresque like this.
  9. snickypoo

snickypoo PetForums VIP

Sorry to hear Gracie is unwell, I hope she picks up soon and starts to feel better.
    Luna has pancreatitis too, I have used WW Turkey and Veg Light Grain Free for her, there's also a White Fish and Veg one which I believe is 7.5%. I hope you find something suitable for her. xx

picaresque likes this.
  10. picaresque

picaresque Mongrelist

Thanks all for the well wishes and food suggestions :)

Thanks, I think I'll give this a try. Does Ziggy get treats, if so any suggestions for suitable ones? I did a Zooplus order a few days before Gracie got ill and got some dried rabbit ears with fur on with her in mind because I knew she'd go nuts for them (she doesn't do toys but wanted to eat Gelert's rabbit skin tugger...), quite sad I can't give them to her now but Gelly's happy...

Thanks SDH. I don't know what test they did but it was in-house, and when it came back inconclusive they did say they could do another to send away to see if we could get a solid result. That was on the Sunday and we saw a different vet on the Monday so it was sort of lost in the hand-over but will mention it.
    It's a shame we have to stop the Metacam as there's nothing else anti-inflammatory we can give her that won't have the same side effects but she's currently on extra Tramadol. Poor girl is starting to rattle.

11. Burrowzig

Burrowzig PetForums VIP

Trixie dried rabbit sticks are low fat (1%), and Skippers do small round biscuits, salmon, white fish and potato at 8.8% fat which is OK if it's just the odd one. There's also dried sweet potato dog treats such as these http://www.hawthornhealth.com/pet-c...W3HGQfqkAIb9x4EwuDNcQIy22NO10rYNlBxoC6brw_wcB but if you look on the web there are loads of recipes for making them yourself for a fraction of the cost.

picaresque likes this.
  12. SixStar

SixStar Banned

Sorry to hear Gracie is unwell.

It is definitely worth doing the more in-depth blood test @Sled dog hotel mentioned - this will give you a pancreatic 'value' and anything over 200 signals pancreatitis. The in-house snap test at my vets come back as inconclusive too, but Ozzy's pancreatitis values came back at around 900, so there was definitely nothing inconclusive about that! It's good to have this value as baseline to refer to in the future too, so you know if things ever flare up again.

Ozzy gets the Wainwrights GF light @ 7.5% fat and there's a selection of low fat wets he can have too, and he has recently started back on some lean raw meats too (skinless, fat trimmed chicken backs/carcasses mainly). Oz had an episode of acute pancreatitis rather than chronic, which doesn't require such strict dietary changes, but I'm still keeping him on low fat indefinitely.

Without a doubt though, I'd certainly get the additional blood test done, and then you know what you're actually dealing with.

picaresque and Sled dog hotel like this.
  13. picaresque

picaresque Mongrelist

Thanks a lot, do you have a link for the Trixie rabbit sticks, I can't seem to find any online.
    She loves calf hooves, thankfully they are very low in fat, can stuff them with a bit of Chappie, yum.

Cheers @SixStar, definitely worth doing then.
    Any thoughts btw on Autarky Mature/Lite for a pancreatitis dog? It's something I've fed her before. The salmon variety has only 5% fat but I'm wondering if the protein level is a bit high.

14. SixStar

SixStar Banned

5% is exceptionally low - I had no idea there were kibbles available under 6% fat.

If she's done well on it before, then I don't think you'd go far wrong with it - the protein at 22% is fine.

That said however, 5% is certainly the lowest fat kibble I've seen - I think I would perhaps be wary of going for the lowest of the low, just incase there is the need to decrease dietary fat content further in the future. I would personally look around the 7/8% mark, then you have scope to reduce if ever needed.

Mum2Heidi and picaresque like this.
  15. Burrowzig

Burrowzig PetForums VIP

picaresque likes this.
  16. Mum2Heidi

Mum2Heidi PetForums VIP

I agree with sixstar. I'd keep the 5% fat for something to fall back on if need be.

picaresque likes this.
  17. picaresque

picaresque Mongrelist

Thanks again all, and thanks @Burrowzig for pointing me towards those treats - will be ordering some.
    Gracie's doing well at the moment, pretty much back to her old self, long may it continue.

rona and Mum2Heidi like this.
  18. Maggyd

Maggyd PetForums Junior

Good to hear Gracie has recovered from her bout of pancriatis , my 10 year old chihuahua has been troubled with it for years and I have to be very vigilant he doesn't have anything at all fatty! I have been feeding them both on Royal Canine low fat kibble since they were both neutered plus I put a bit of fresh chicken to tempt them, when he has a bought of pain I just cook him rice with chicken for a day or two.

We have found he does well on (not troubled) and loves PET MUNCHIES Venison strips Low Fat high protein, we buy them on line as its cheaper than the pet shops.

picaresque likes this.
  19. picaresque

picaresque Mongrelist

Thanks for the tip, they sound good and I see VetUk sells them which is where I order a lot of the dogs' stuff. Lovely pair in your avatar btw, I've never had a little dog but I love Chihuahuas :)

20. Maggyd

Maggyd PetForums Junior

the trouble with chihuahua,s is they don't realize they are little dogs and don't think twice before picking an argument with !! big dogs ! it can be very stressful if the big dog isnt having any of it , Miss pushy (Tilly) is on the front left and poor hen pecked ~Teddy behind. :) they are a very affectionate little dog but will definitely be my last now Im afraid.

picaresque likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice