UK Pet Forums Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
10,727 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Some of you may remember a few weeks ago some people had some problems with kittens becoming very ill after ben treated with panacur well another case has come to light.

Someone i sold 2 kittens to has just informed me that one kitten has just become very ill after been wormed i asked her what she used to worm them thats when she told me what i didnt wnt to hear..panacur.

As before not all kittens were affected just 1 out of the two.

Im glad i decided to stop using it this has just confirmed i was right to do so.

So this is just a little warning for all others who wouldnt want to take any risks i know i dont.

·
Registered
14,011 Posts
you may remember my kitten was very poorly after using panacur, of course the company has stated it is perfectly safe at 100 times the normal dose which it may be but all i know is my kitten was seriously ill.
today he is still smaller so will stay with me a month longer than his litter mates but he is doing very well and has survived.
i will never use panacur again and this time ive also used milbemax and had no problems.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Hi we were given milbemax for Luca for a few months. Our vets charged £3. I think there are different strengths for small cats and big cats, but then it's broken down to different doses within each category depending on the cats specific weight...

Small cats:
0.5-1kg. Half tab
1-2kg 1 tab

Big cats
2-4kg. Half tab
4-8kg. 1 tab
8-12kg. 1.5 tab

The last milbemax we gave Luca gave him bloody stool, this time round we have been given advocate by the vet for all round worming and deflea, no experience with this, hope there's no bad effects :confused:

·
Registered
1,627 Posts
At the rescue we never had any problems with panacur but we only used it up to 9 weeks then gave them milbemax. Was it the paste or the granules? Has it been known to happen to adult cats (ie when treated for guardia sp)?

·
Registered
12,998 Posts
Spid, what would you use for young kittens?

At the rescue we never had any problems with panacur but we only used it up to 9 weeks then gave them milbemax
That's roughly my protocol except I worm at around 11 weeks to avoid doing it at the same time as vaccs. You can't use Milbemax pre 6 weeks and I don't think trying to pill small kittens is a good idea anyway so I'm not sure where a breeder can go if they don't want to use Panacur at all.

·
Registered
1,627 Posts
That's roughly my protocol except I worm at around 11 weeks to avoid doing it at the same time as vaccs. You can't use Milbemax pre 6 weeks and I don't think trying to pill small kittens is a good idea anyway so I'm not sure where a breeder can go if they don't want to use Panacur at all.
Has it been changed recently as I thought the youngest you could give milbemax was 9 weeks according to the leaflet in the box :confused: . Obviously at a rehoming centre we get kittens in at all ages in different states but if they're born with us we stick to what it says on the packets ;)

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
Does anyone have anything to say about Drontal?
Darcy keeps getting a recurring stomach upset so we cut out her treats (dreamies) and it seemed to clear up. She was wormed last month and again on Saturday with Drontal and is suffering from loose stools again. She had Milbemax as a young kitten and I will be going back to this. We only bought the Drontal as I realised she was due to be wormed and didn't have any Milbemax in. I've also ordered some protexin prokolin paste to try and restore her gut flora.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.