Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Pack proliferation

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Warthog, Jun 29, 2009.

1. Warthog

Warthog PetForums Newbie

So, having come out of the other end of puppyhood for Pretzel with only a mild increase in my blood pressure and hopefully only five years taken off my life expectancy, we decided: Heck, why not go through it all again: frustration puts hairs on your chest!!

In truth, Pretzel has grown up and she seems a little less full of beans and perhaps a little bored: certainly more serious. We take her out as before, but life is not as stimulating as when she was a pup: probably as she sees fewer "new things" to gasp at in fascination. Other dogs are the only thing that still grab her attention most regularly.

We are also conscious that, despite my uncanny ability to scratch my ear with my foot, mark lamposts or car alloys and my lady's ability to catch frisbees in her mouth, we are not dogs. Meanwhile Pretzel, despite her uncanny ability to order Swedish cookery wares via the internet, is very much a dog...

We felt, having learnt many lessons about dog ownership, dogs and ourelves we would consider having another go. Just consider.....

So we went to the dog shelter on Sunday to "just have a look at some of the dogs...."

Yes, you guessed it, we have just put our selves on the list for re-homing a little tan puppy.
    She seems laid back, not hyper', and Pretzel was happy enough in her company. She looks as though she may also grow to be relatively small, which is good as they will both need to fit in the Ural sidecar for those camping trips and world travels across Asia and Africa!!

And now, at last, my question. It is a vague and very open ended question, so apologies.

What advice do you have for introducing a puppy into a home that already has a dog?

We want the transition to be the least stress for all involved!! :eek:

2. Warthog

Warthog PetForums Newbie

So, what, has no one ever brought a puppy home, having already a grown dog indoors?

Surely some words of wisdom?

Feed at the same time...different places... if you play with pup, then play with dog as well etc....

No? Anyone? Hello?

3. rona

rona Guest

Hello
    I think the main thing is to make sure that the dog you have at the moment has a place to escape if they feel the need, and if one needs to be taken away from any situation then it should be the pup.
    It takes a few weeks but they usually sort things out quite happily

4. kelly

kelly PetForums Member

hi there!

we got our puppy (Brody) who is now 18months when our other dog (chase) was 3.

the main things i think we did right:
    -introduce them outside the house (we took ours for a walk to a field and let chase off so he could smell lick and get away from him if he wanted!)
    -Brody came with a crete and we fed him in there away from Chase.
    -made sure Chase came 1st Brody had to follow suit (the first fuss always went to Chase so he knew he was still loved!)

Things that we had to change:
    -we shut Brody in his crete at night in a seperate room to Chase, he would cry all night AND I MEAN ALL NIGHT!! so we moved him in with chase still in his crete this didnt really make life any easier! eventually after loads of sleepless nights (as we read we had to persevere with the crete training) we bought Brody a new bed and lone behold a full 7 hours sleep before he needed to be let out for a wee!!!
    -we altered his feed times so we could judge the rough time he would need a poop to fit in around us being at home!

mainly we let them sort out themselves!
    hope this helps and good luck!!!!

5. Warthog

Warthog PetForums Newbie

Good advice guys.

So far, so good on both fronts...!:D

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice