Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Paces in show dogs

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by rona, May 22, 2010.

1. rona

rona Guest

Over many years of watching Goldies, I have noticed that while many look as if their movement is good in the faster paces, all to often they have a dreadful walking action.
    Do you think that show judges should take more time to look at all the different paces of the dogs while in the ring?

2. davehyde

davehyde Banned

yes, although my mutt moves lovely at a fast walk his slow amble looks like he is stiff lol.

tho he almost never keeps still unless to sleep or eat.

3. Tanya1989

Tanya1989 PetForums VIP

The idea of only judging the walk and trot is basically because these are the paces mostly used by dogs, also can you imagine the diffculty in moving some dogs at a faster pace, for example the Pharoah Hound in the Main ring at Crufts :scared:

4. davehyde

davehyde Banned

lol, a ring full of middle aged dodderers trying to run a hundred greyhounds round the ring. blue rinses bouncing everywhere.

priceless.

5. Kinjilabs

Kinjilabs PetForums VIP

Ted would win everytime doing the slow pace:D

6. moboyd

moboyd PetForums VIP

I did know a judge some time back that actually had you move your dogs a few time around the ring at different speeds, when he ran the dogs all together they were at the normal showing pace, then when he went over each individual dog he had you move your dog away and back at a slow pace and then move again at the normal pace, its suprising the difference it makes.

mo

7. rona

rona Guest

Well I have found with Alfie, that all his stiffness shows at a slow pace, but when stretching out it disappears. At a slow pace his leg also swings outward :eek:
    It's the slower pace that I think they should look at more for soundness and gait

8. moboyd

moboyd PetForums VIP

I agree, I have seen some dogs that when just walking look practically crippled, hocks look very weak and seem to move side to side, yet when at a show pace this is not very noticeable. I have asked some people to move a little slower 2nd time on them moving if there is something I feel "off"

Mo

#8 moboyd, May 22, 2010
    Last edited: May 22, 2010
  9. Freyja

Freyja PetForums VIP

You would never get a hundred greyhpunds in the ring at the same time the entry for crufts was only around 90. At a champ show the entry is nearer 30-40 sometimes less.

When we fisrt started doing companion shows with my GSD we also di GSD rallies with him. At them you were expected to show the dog at a walk trot and to gait properly. You showed them in a circle not doing triangles and up and down which is all them seem to do now. He wasn't registered so we didn't show him properly but he held his own against the show dogs when they competed at the rallies.

We have said before when we have been at shows why do they insist on assessing dogs at a pace that is not always natural for them. A whippet or greyhound was bred to run not to trot slowly. I know the only way that can be assess is on the track.

10. moboyd

moboyd PetForums VIP

A dog that is structrually sound should move correctly no matter what pace they are going at, although I do agree some breeds get into their "stride" at a faster pace and in a larger area to move, some rings are so small it drives me mad because a larger breed just cannot get into their stride, due to lack of space and tend to move less fluid because they know they are about to stop and prepare themselves for this.

mo

11. Freyja

Freyja PetForums VIP

I stopped showing William at open shows as the rings were just too small for him. By the time he had got into his stride he was having to stop to go round a corner.

12. Tanya1989

Tanya1989 PetForums VIP

Its the same with us at open shows. Because wwe are always in rings where breeds don't have large entries they give us a little ring so we can't get moving properly. Most bigger dogs need 2 or 3 strides to have a shake and loosen up. In a small ring we only get 5 strides or so before we reach a corner. You can't judge movement on that amount.

13. Freyja

Freyja PetForums VIP

Even the whippets struggle at some shows the rings are so small. The amount of times I have been told Owen is lame but he isn't if he can't get into his stride he will skip with his back feet. I don't do breed classes with him now just veteran as that tends to be in a bigger ring at the end of the day.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice