Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

P.A.T. Dogs

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Poipin, Aug 19, 2009.

1. Poipin

Poipin PetForums Member

Hi Everyone

Just wondering if anyone has heard of or has a PAT (pets as therapy) Dog?

I really would love to do it with my dog as he loves getting patted and hugs into people, and if it could benefit other people too then even better :)

Just wondering if anyone does it and what their experiences are?
    -of the assessment to become a PAT dog?
    - going visiting?

Poipin

2. basi

basi PetForums Senior

My eldest Basenji Cali was a PAT dog until we moved to Germany and her membership lapsed. Our assessment was done in a well known pet shop and she passed with flying colours. She loved going visiting to our local hospital and residential home for the elderly. It is a very rewarding thing to do for both the people that you are visiting and also the dogs love it.

3. Nicky09

Nicky09 PetForums VIP

2 of mine are but we're in New Zealand so the assesement etc might be different.
    They had to be able to walk perfectly on the lead
    Be completely calm if a crisis happened they would be working in a hospital.
    Not react to say men or children or other dogs.
    And of course love being cuddled to death lol

They work on the childrens ward and love getting all the attention from the kids.

4. Poipin

Poipin PetForums Member

Did any of you guys have any difficulty with managers of residential homes etc letting you come in with your dog? or is this something that the charity arranges for you?

I would suspect there could be rejections in hospitals etc using reasons like dirty / germs etc?

5. basi

basi PetForums Senior

I can't say that I ever had any problems. The charity gave me a list of places that I could visit then I said which ones were suitable for me then they organised the visits.

6. pommum

pommum PetForums Senior

Our local hospital have posters up of the two PAT dogs that go and visit there.

I had one of my poms assessed for them about 6+ yrs ago he passed with flying colours but it wasn't as well recognised then and we realy struggled to find anywere to take him, so we let his membership lapse in the end as we just couldn't find any nursing homes that were happy to allow a dog in and P.A.T themselves were no help.
    Things are very different now as they have been going along time now. You should contact them if you think your dog is suitable, he must be uptodate with vaccine's, microchiped, flea and worm treated, then bathed thuroughly before every visit.

take care
    Sarah

7. kendal

kendal PetForums Senior

my inca has past for threapets i just need to fill out the remanding paper work. cant wait to start.

8. Freyja

Freyja PetForums VIP

A woman who goes to our ringcraft occasionally is a PAT dog assesser. She really wants me to do it with William. She says he would be ideal to go to visit bedridden people as he is big enough to stand next to the beds to be fussed. Unfortunately since his accident we haven't been able to get his weight back on so I don't think they would pass him now as he is quite skinny even for a greyhound.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice