Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Ozzy won't take his meds

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by Mum2Ozzy, May 6, 2021.

1. Mum2Ozzy

Mum2Ozzy PetForums Member

Ozzy has some kind of inflammation in his mouth which is very painful for him. We've been to the vets yesterday and they gave us tablets for him which cannot be given with food. Problem is he won't let us anywhere near his mouth due to pain (I regularly check his mouth and teeth so he's used to it). I've managed to shove one tablet down his throat yesterday and it definitely helped with pain as he was able to lap some food blitzed into soup consistency. Unfortunately today is a different story, we both tried and he snapped us both we tried gloves and no luck. I hate to see him so distressed but it has to be done i guess. Any tips before i go back to vets?

2. Sarah H

Sarah H Grand Empress of the Universe

Having to take meds without food, for an issue in the mouth which is going to be painful, is a recipe for disaster. I'd be contacting the vets and getting something you can give with food.
    I'm not sure how they thought you'd shove the tablets into a sore mouth.

3. Mum2Ozzy

I thought exactly the same, I was hoping they would give him injection straight away to give him some relief but nope. Unfortunately my partner was the one who took him and he didn't question practicalities. I have since read on manufacturer website that it can be given with food but other sources state it absorbs and works quicker without food. As a compromise I mixed the tablet with tablespoon of chicken soup i made for him and he lapped it up. We then waited 30 mins to give him the rest of his meal. It seem to have worked because he's brighter but I can't see him being sorted after just 3 tablets. That particular medication can't be given for more than 3 days. I'm so sorry for him:(

4. Sarah H

I'd have thought that as long as you don't give it with a full meal it will be OK. Just a tiny bit of cheese or soup as you have done to ensure he actually eats it shouldn't stop it being absorb properly.

Torin., Lurcherlad and Mum2Ozzy like this.
  5. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

Jack has his tablets in a blob of pate.

niamh123, Mum2Ozzy and DanWalkersmum like this.
  6. Mum2Ozzy

I'm pleased to report he seem to be improving today, he is trying to play bless him. And his appetite is better. I'm so relieved, I hated seeing him so miserable.

Twiggy, Lurcherlad, niamh123 and 3 others like this.
  7. Mum2Ozzy

We're on the last day of treatment with Onsior and he seems to be improving soon after having the tablet but as day goes one he's getting worse:( i can't see 3 days being long enough to fix whatever is happening in his mouth. Does anyone have any experience with this drug and similar conditions (inflammation)? Not sure whether to call vets today seeing as we're coming up to a weekend, or just leave it for next couple of days. He's eating soft food, has no diarrhoea or sickness but clearly uncomfortable.

Sarah H likes this.
  8. Sarah H

I'd ring them today and try and get him something for the weekend. As you say he clearly needs more than 3 day's worth.

Mum2Ozzy likes this.
  9. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

I’d speak to the vet .... better to get more meds he might not need than have him poorly over weekend.

Have they given this condition a name, so you can do some proper research?

Mum2Ozzy likes this.
  10. Mum2Ozzy

Just that he has inflammation in his mouth, but I'm not 100% confident he could have examined him properly without sedating him; I guess they are the pros and deal with poorly animals everyday. We've had a first proper walk since he's been unwell and he was acting normally. But I can tell his mouth is still sore, he's a little land shark when he's excited, nibbles and licks our feet and he's doing none of it. Not trying to grab things with his mouth etc.

11. Mum2Ozzy

Just been on the phone with vets, they want to see him again this evening, they will give him anaesthetic and have better look. Shall I brace myself for double the fee for appointment at 9 pm? I just want him to be his normal naughty self!

JoanneF, Sarah H and Lurcherlad like this.
  12. niamh123

niamh123 PetForums VIP

How is Ozzy doing

Mum2Ozzy likes this.
  13. Mum2Ozzy

He's brilliant thank you for asking. We ended up cancelling vets on Friday because when I got back from school run he was much better, playing with his ball, full of energy. He still doesnt want chews etc but is eating and playing normally and he allowed me to clean around his mouth (he rubbed his face in another dogs poop while I was tying my daughters shoelaces). I'm so relieved. I'm going to check his mouth soon to make sure all looks fine x

Sarah H, Twiggy and JoanneF like this.
  14. niamh123

niamh123 PetForums VIP

So pleased that Ozzie is doing so well:)

Mum2Ozzy likes this.
  15. Sarah H

That's good news!
    (well not the poop rolling but you get my drift!)

Mum2Ozzy likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice