Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Ozzy and recall .... what to do!

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by PembrokeMadhouse, May 31, 2010.

1. PembrokeMadhouse

PembrokeMadhouse PetForums VIP

Ozzy is now 13 weeks - I have had him a week ... his recall in the house and yard is pretty good, not 100%, but was good enough for me to try him off lead in the meadow ... recall went down to following Meg whereever she went and then down to zero .... Not sure where to go from here ... as I say in the house he is pretty good .... I have a long line etc for outside, but don't really what to apply a tug everytime I want him to come back ... sort of defeats the object.

I know recall is critical (well for me it is anyway with sheep around and such) ... so I want to crack it as soon as possible, but a little unsure / lacking in confidence perhaps!

C X

2. Bearpaw

Bearpaw PetForums VIP

If he is food orientated,you could use the treats as a reward,or possibly look into the clicker training,this works well for some people.I would give it a few goes with Meg out too,as im sure he will come back.Then try it with him on his own using a long line at first,then off the long line.He is still very young,and generally,they dont go too far at this age (i say generally,because you do get the odd one that bolts!) Or you could buy a new special noisey toy,that you only use when out training.
    You are doing a great job so far!!

3. PembrokeMadhouse

Yes I got the clicker training - but he does seem to get bored of it, even after 5 minutes, then I leave it for a few hours and he's okay for a bit again!!! He is food orientated but only to a degree ... you know how it is, you see these wonderfully trained dogs on the training videos and I want one of those !!! I know I may not get Ozzy like that but if I did get close I would be mighty proud of myself and him.

Meg has her faults but I can read her and know what she is about to do, so in a sense she is pretty well trained .... but she cannot heel to save her life! I want Ozzy to heel and come when called independently of Meg, anything else is a bonus ... We have got the sit, and down, but working on the rest..

Had 4 days off with Ozzy, but back to work tomorrow so it will all go to pot then! The toilet training is not great yet, but poos are mainly outside, just the wee department is hit and miss!

C x

4. Bearpaw

Bearpaw PetForums VIP

He will still only have a short attention span,so little and often is best at this age for training.He will learn so much from meg over the next months and years,so its good she pretty sound.You can work on his heal when you do training one to one.
    Toilet training sounds like its better,its good most of the poo is outside.just go over the top with praise,they like watching you make an idiot of yourself and will often keep going outside to get you to do it again!! lol,seriously though, that will come with time,just persevere with it.

5. PembrokeMadhouse

Also another problem which could be quite difficult to sort ... Ozzy is petrified of the moving cars ... doesn't chase, just goes to hide ... I have started sitting on my front door step with him, clicking as a car goes past and treating ... is this the right way to tackle this or should I take another approach

Edited : He does get in the car and ride in the car fine ....

C X

6. Bearpaw

Bearpaw PetForums VIP

Im sure you will get lots of help from others on these questions too,i dont always get it right lol!
    I would try not to make too much fuss about the cars,if you anticipate a car coming he will get tense over it.Get him out as much as you can around traffic(carry him for a bit at first,if this helps),use treats when hes really calm.Try and ignore him hiding and just keep walking or watching.:)

7. PembrokeMadhouse

Thank you ! I am sure I will have loads more questions to be answered!!! And an excuse to stay on the forum ! lol!

8. Bearpaw

Bearpaw PetForums VIP

I used to sing loudly when Ailsa was little and nervous about cars,im sure im known for being the local fruitloop lol,but it diverted her away from the cars!!
    Have you still had no word about your lost girl?

9. PembrokeMadhouse

No nothing about Nell - I am sure she has passed on ... she is never far from my mind - I thought Ozzy might fill the gap a bit, but I still look around and hope!

Hopefully she is happy and free wherever she is.

10. Bearpaw

Bearpaw PetForums VIP

I hope so too,i often wonder,sorry didnt mean to bring it all up again!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice