Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Owning a dog whilst working

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by SEVEN_PETS, Jun 1, 2010.

1. SEVEN_PETS

SEVEN_PETS PetForums VIP

Hiya

Sooner or later, I will be working full time as a groomer (I hope). I am starting to look at the options I have as I will be having Ollie, my rabbits and my rats when I move home. When i move, both me and my partner will most likely be working full time as we probably couldn't afford to have one of us not work or work only part-time. Now, I have three options:

1. Take Ollie to work with me, which of course would be the best option however he is jealous of me with other dogs, which of course is a problem when I'm working with other dogs. I could teach him to not be jealous, but if i couldn't, my employer may not want him there. I did take Ollie to work once, he barked when I was working with another dog but wasn't aggressive to other dogs. We put him away each time he barked and by the end of the day, he was sleeping on a chair whilst I was working with another dog. So as long as I show I'm not happy with his jealous behaviour, maybe we'll get over it.

2. Leave him at home and I walk him before i go to work, walk him during my lunch break and walk him when I get home in the evening. To my knowledge, all he does when we leave him in the house is sleep. There is no sign of him barking or chewing or pacing. He's usually in the same position on the sofa as when we left him. Would it be ok to leave a dog for 3-4 hours in the morning, with an 1 hour lunchtime and then 3-4 hours in the afternoon?

3. If i can't get home for lunch, I would employ a dog walker to walk him during the day.

Are all of these options acceptable?

2. smskar

smskar PetForums Member

3. katiefranke

katiefranke PetForums VIP

I think all of these options are acceptable.

My personal circumstances are 'none of the above' but would jump at the chance of 1 if I wasnt in the situation I am.

I am lucky in that I can work from home and so can OH come August. but if I were not in this situation I would love to work somewhere that I could take my dog to work! I am sure if this is what you want Ollie will learn that he has to be quiet and calm to be with you.

However, if you feel he would just be bored and frustrated, then perhaps home is the best place for him?

I think it just depends on your preference and the nature of your dog as to which option you choose :thumbup:

4. Spellweaver

Spellweaver PetForums VIP

I agree - any of the options would be suitable. It would be brilliant if you could manage to take Olly to work with you (I wish I had a job where I could take mine!) but the other options are all fine. My OH and I both work, and on the days when I do a 13 hr shift (3 in a fortnight), our dogs are left between 2pm and 10pm, with a walk from the neighbour abound 5-ish, and they do just fine.

5. SEVEN_PETS

SEVEN_PETS PetForums VIP

Thanks guys. I think once he had got used to me handling other dogs, i think he would just sleep all day. he's a very laidback dog, so I think he would be happy with any arrangement, although I would love him to come to work with me, but I'll have to find a good employer first. :lol:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice