Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Owners of long haired dogs

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by SEVEN_PETS, May 8, 2010.

1. SEVEN_PETS

SEVEN_PETS PetForums VIP

hiya

i was wondering what you do with your dog's coat after a walk? they must get very muddy and dirty and get loads of twigs, seeds etc stuck in their fur. How do you get them out? Do you give them a shower after every walk?

2. dobermummy

dobermummy Banned

i take out any big bits that i see and then when Kenzos dry i brush him, any mud and bits just come out then :)

3. Matrix/Logan

Matrix/Logan PetForums VIP

I have a long haired gsd and to be honest it is probably only his 'trousers' that are really long and we just leave him to dry when we return from a walk then brush him through. :D

4. sequeena

sequeena PetForums VIP

Sky is not strictly long haired but she has so much fur she may as well be. As long as she doesn't get covered in crap I let the mud dry and brush it out :)

5. MerlinsMum

MerlinsMum PetForums VIP

Most long haired dogs are pretty much wash'n'wear - don't know about the VERY longhaired breeds like Afghans, Rough Collies, Beardies etc.

Mine rarely gets anything like twigs stuck, but you have to watch out for burdock burrs in the autumn/winter. If he gets ultra-muddy I'll try to find a stream or deep puddle to wash the worst off, otherwise when it dries it brushes out like dust.

He got very wet today - it was raining and also kept jumping in a mill stream - but he'd mostly drip-dried by the time we got on the train to go home, and was only a bit damp around the edges when we got in. He has an amazing double coat that never gets wet down to the skin (apart from his legs & undercarriage).

6. canuckjill

canuckjill PetForums VIP

Neva has had 1 bath and that was when I brought home from the ranch, other than that she gets brushed. Most of the dirt just falls of her and the sheltie when they dry.

Attached Files:

7. babycham2002

babycham2002 PetForums VIP

Do you count Willow as long haired?
    I just brush it out her coat or like merlin said encourage her into some clean water.
    Twigs and things havent been a problem yet.
    Although I was walking with my friend and her eldrely cocker the other day and we ended up having to cut burrs out of his feet, luckily I had mini first aid kit on me with scissors in.

Willow did have to have a bath the other week, when she went swimming in some stagnant green pond, she looked like a monster from the deep and it stank, their was no fresh water nearby to put her in.

8. Nellybelly

Nellybelly PetForums VIP

I have a long haired dog with poodle type coat. UNlike shedding breeds, poddle type coat is the worst for getting things stuck in it, including mud, which doesn't just dry and fall off.
    In the winter I leave her fur grow a bit to keep her warm, but she gets a warm foot rinse when we get back from our walks, and a tummy rub (as she is short this si always filthy as very near ground level) with a wet towel.
    WHen she is dry she gets brushed.

In the summer she is clipped very short, so only brush her tail and head daily, and check between her toes after every walk to make sure no grass seeds are stuck there.

9. CheekoAndCo

CheekoAndCo PetForums VIP

I only pick off twigs etc and run the slicker brush over their coats to get any moss/grass off. Blu has a full show coat but I let him get covered in mud/sand/water and whatever else. Unless it smells I just leave him be because he has a life unlike some show dogs. He hardly gets brushed either because there isn't much point with his coat changing. Only time he looks like a show dog is when he has his bath and groom for a show. Any other time he is just like any other scruffy dog that has a life!

10. Mum2Heidi

Mum2Heidi PetForums VIP

Heidi doesnt have a particularly long coat but a v low chassis:lol: So more often than not if its wet, she is. I usually have a bath towel handy, give her a good rub and then brush her when she is dry. Trouble is if I bathed her every time it would be way too many.
    Her worst is the desire to smell of eau de fox parfum. Sometimes I can get away with what I call a strip wash - soapy flannel followed by wet flannel and then towel dry but more often than not its a bath.

11. nic101

nic101 PetForums VIP

point at a pond and "in".....

then run roun the grass field where thers no mud/twigs so she can dry off! :D

if she just has twigs just pull them off on the end of the walk... n then home!

if she mega stinks though (which thank god hasnt been for a long time) the hosepipe comes out!

12. BeagleOesx

BeagleOesx PetForums VIP

Willow (OES) seems to love collecting bits of twigs in her fur when she is out & about but I just take them out once we get home, if her legs are particularly muddy she goes into the bath for a quick rinse with water but most of the time just brush it out once it is dry. I groom her every day so she doesn't get any mats in her fur & this seems to keep her clean, in fact people pass comment on how many baths she must have because she is so white but she only has a proper 'wash' when she goes to the groomers for her trim & pamper! Just the brushing gets out the dried dust.

13. Lucylewis0

Lucylewis0 PetForums VIP

My two tibetan terriers always get covered in mud, twigs, leaves, etc...... I leave them both to dry then brush them out, if they are really really bad I stick them both in the bath and wash their legs, belly's and tails and blow rdy them.

I avoid walking them near ponds and lakes as maisie suffers with ear problems and if she went swimming she would more than likely end up with an infection.
    They sometimes go to the beach for swim as the sea water dosn't seem to flare her ears up but I do find that the sand get stuck in their hairy feet and causes the pad to get sore (I always take a bucket to dip feet in when we get off the beach)

But two wet tibetan terriers in car ................ hmmmmmmm very smelly :lol:

14. Oenoke

Oenoke PetForums VIP

Bertie's coat is dreadful, he gets all sorts stuck in his trousers, sometimes getting himself caught up in the undergrowth and I have to go free him. When he gets wet and muddy it can take all day for his coat to dry out and it takes me a good hour to brush his coat out when it is dry. The 2 smooth coats are so easy to look after in comparison, they dry quickly and the mud just falls off. Even Skye's coat is easy to look after, she dries out alot quicker and a quick 5 minute brush gets all the mud out of her coat.

15. Freyja

Freyja PetForums VIP

With Zoe it is just her leg feathers that get wet and muddy. When she's been out and is wet she goes into her crate until she's dry then is brushed. If she's not put in her crate then everywere and everyone end up wet.

16. sketch

sketch PetForums VIP

Same here with my hairy hooligans too
    xx

17. deb53

deb53 PetForums VIP

A good old fashioned brush out. Outer coat is a repellent and soon dries and then anything foreign is pure and simply brushed out.

If partically smelly like rolled in foxes poo:eek:.... Then a shower, towel dry and a good old blaster with a brush too.

Its not difficult if you keep on top every day..... as you would do with a child with long hair.... You wouldn't just leave it.

18. Fuzzbugs!x

Fuzzbugs!x PetForums VIP

Our black newfie Barney has all the feathering ect and has such a full coat lol. When we come home hes left to dry then blasted out quickly - gets the twigs, dirt out ect then i'll spray him with some diluted summer winds or a spray from plush puppy - cant remember the name lol - then brush hin through with a good brush. If he has any teeny knots i'll put some cowboy magic on them and leave it for 5 mins - comes off straight away. He only gets a bath before a show lol, plus the more we do it, the easier his coat becomes. I think with the effort and the right products then a long coat is easy to mantain lol. xx

19. Clare7435

Clare7435 PetForums VIP

Penny has a kind of curly undercoat....i think it's the bichon in her...not sure but she picks up everything up....seaweed....twigs...sticky buds the lot so I keep her short....ish...shorter than she would be anyway and if she's too filthy and it won't come out I put the shower on her....I try not to do that though because she takes so long to dry even with the hair dryer.even when short her fur is very thick...

20. shazalhasa

shazalhasa PetForums VIP

Leaves, twigs and stuff I just pick out of the coat, if they've got wet feet then I squeeze them with a towel and brush out when dry.

I do try to avoid walking them through puddles and muddy patches but depending on the weather, they've come back from a walk along the prom plenty of times looking like they've got little black boots on :rolleyes: and as long as it's just the feet then I do what I can with a towel and brush it out later.

Dogs should be allowed to be dogs and that sometimes means getting dirty and messed up. I show mine but they are far from ornaments outside the showring :p

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice