Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Own buisness

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by GSDlover4ever, Jun 9, 2010.

1. GSDlover4ever

GSDlover4ever PetForums VIP

Have any of you been lucky enough to have your own buisness, particulary a pet buisness?

How did you do it?

Any tips.... advice?

2. classixuk

classixuk PetForums VIP

I have my own businesses (not pet businesses though) and have done since I was 22.

My first piece of advice would be save every penny you can if you're serious about going into business.

:)

3. hobbs2004

hobbs2004 PetForums VIP

Interesting that you should ask that. I am thinking of opening up an online shop - it is going to be very niche so I better stick to my main job for the mo :D

Got my domain name, suppliers, just need to register as a business and get some checks done.....

4. HollyM

HollyM PetForums VIP

Make sure you let us know the addy so we can peruse!!!

5. GSDlover4ever

what do u plan on selling?

6. GSDlover4ever

Im exellent with money, which is a bonus :)

7. GSDlover4ever

Have been thinking about a lot of possibilities :)

With regards to pet care, say small furries. What happens if the owners don't come back for them.... make excuses......

8. hobbs2004

hobbs2004 PetForums VIP

German cat food and some raw feeding stuff lol

And you? German pet food and raw feeding stuff by some chance? lol lol

9. JSR

JSR PetForums VIP

Not pets as such but I used to own a livery yard....til I spilt up with OH and had to sell the place. :mad: I miss being with horses all day but don't miss the drama's and some of the silly mares (and not the horse mares!!) that would be on the yard!! Towards the end we had a lovely mixture of slightly older ladies and men and we had a fab time together so it was all very sad when I sold up. Sadly the new owners didn't want horses on the land so everyone had to split up and find new places. I can't say I made much money but it paid for my own horses and their keep so it covered my costs.

10. GSDlover4ever

Hha no, i don't know to be honest, have got a few ideas, but it really depends. :)

11. hobbs2004

hobbs2004 PetForums VIP

I did say my idea was niche and is not going to be a big earner, is it? :lol:

Good luck with whatever you decide to do!

12. GSDlover4ever

:thumbup: Thanks :)

13. GSDlover4ever

sounds great :)

14. Miss.PuddyCat

Miss.PuddyCat PetForums VIP

Not sure if your talking about online or a store but one thing that I hate at petstore is crap parking and tiny selection of goods. If I want a wide variety I gotta take transit to the next town. And we have 3 petstore in our town.

15. Zaros

Zaros Pet Forums, P/resident Evil

Frank Sinatra once sang 'I did it my way' and that's exactly what I did. If you are determined enough and have the fire in your belly there isn't a great deal you can't do.
    I started with what money I had in my pocket at the time after discovering how folks like Bernard Mathews and John Rix made it in life. :thumbup:
    Bernard Mathews bought an old egg incubator from market and six eggs from a farmer. John Rix, I'm told, sold Paraffin door to door from a hand cart.
    You do what you know you're good at.:thumbup:

16. lifeizsweet

lifeizsweet PetForums VIP

My other half has his own agriculutral contracting business... It's hard work and we're poor alot of the time but when it's good it's great. He's been doing it just over a year and we're starting to see good results and buliding a good customer base.

17. Wyndham

Wyndham PetForums Member

i am just in the middle of launching new pet and vet business, my family have an existing business but i wanted to persue a slightly different market so am looking into this area ( as my area of interest). We have a website under consrtuction, an exhibition booked for next year but still so much todo! Also doin my day job and doing a business degree at college! lol:thumbup:

18. Freyja

Freyja PetForums VIP

I looked into making and selling webbing dog collars last year but never took it any further as I didn't know if there would be a market for them.

19. Tigerneko

Tigerneko PetForums VIP

I'm looking into setting up my own grooming business!

I'm taking it fairly slowly at the minute though, i'm still at college (3 weeks left...woohoo!) and don't have much money or a proper grooming qualification yet so i'm just gonna work full/part time in my weekend job (shop assitant) to save up money & learn to drive, then do the grooming course in a year or two's time (thats gonna cost around £2000 so gotta get saving for that!) and then build up slowly from there.

I've already started buying equipment... I've got some decent clippers, some brushes, shampoos, towels, scissors and got a proper grooming table for my birthday. I'm buying it all very slowly as and when I can afford it/need it and I groom my own dog and my neighbours dog for them just to gain some experience.

When I leave college, i'm gonna sort some hours out at work and then see what days off I have during the week and will probably ring round a few groomers to see if I can do some voluntary/trainee work with them. And the groomer i'm doing my work placement with shouldn't mind me popping down to help whenever i'm not busy :)

So my main advice would be that when you've decided what you wanna do, don't rush into it! See if you can get experience first to see if you enjoy it and then when you've made your mind up - still don't rush! Build yourself, your equipment (if you need any) your money and your reputation up slowly and steadily :) too many people rush into making their business and setting up and don't realise whats involved so go bust quickly.

what are your business ideas? :)

20. GSDlover4ever

thats what i plan on doing, i am in the middle of researching animal buisnesses in my area at the moment :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice