Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Ovulation testing

Discussion in 'Dog Breeding' started by Bea, May 7, 2010.

1. Bea

Bea PetForums Member

My bitch is hard to catch, she missed once with two matings and took the second try with 3 matings at around day 17.

The stud dog owner suggested getting the ovulation strips to try to pin point the correct time.

Can you buy the human ones or are there special ones for dogs.?

2. archielee

archielee PetForums VIP

I would get them done at you vets with blood tests

3. rocco33

rocco33 PetForums VIP

No they are specially for dogs. The need to measure the rise in progesterone. Once the level has been reached the eggs take a couple of days to fertilise. I wouldn't recommend the strips or any of the other diy tests personally. Either go to your vets or use idexx.

4. archielee

archielee PetForums VIP

I think blood test is the best way to go, my girl had it done and she only went to stud ones and she has just had 4 puppies well 4 weeks ago

5. rocco33

rocco33 PetForums VIP

Absolutely. The inhouse premates are done with bloods but do depend on the vet for accuracy. Timing is crucial to getting the correct result. Alternatively you can get your vet to take blood and send it to idexx. This would be my preferred way and is the most accurate if you are unsure of your vets experience with premate.

6. Tanya1989

Tanya1989 PetForums VIP

^^^^^^What they say. Plus them strips are very hard to read, very inaccurate and also very sharp.

7. alaun

alaun PetForums VIP

We tried the ovulation strips. They read positive at day 12 - she wasn't actually ready until day 16. So I don't recommend them.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice