Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Overwhelmed with kitten

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by Omar Nousseir, Nov 4, 2020.

1. Omar Nousseir

Omar Nousseir PetForums Newbie

Hi,

I am new to this forum as I have just recently bought a ginger tabby kitten (called Magrib) and I am seeking for advice and support from the community.

It’s only been a few days, but since day 1, I’ve been feeling regretful. The best way to describe how I feel is that I feel like I’ve adopted a child. I knew that cats would require care and attention but they it’s a lot more than I expected and I feel like I don’t know what I let myself in for. It seems like my life will revolve around the cat and I won’t have much time to myself.

Let me describe what I have experienced so far. I’m not getting peaceful sleep as Magrib moves around a lot in bed and thinks my moving feet under the duvet is a mouse. They say you can put them in a cage but I think that’s unfair. Nonetheless, he doesn’t seem to sleep at all. Also, I am working from home and Magrib is always calling for attention and sits/sleeps on my lap, but I can’t focus on my work as it might wake him from his sleep. I have bought toys for him to entertain with but he gets bored very quickly. I have an established routine in terms of feeding him and clearing his litter tray and entertaining him but he still doesn’t get sleepy at end of the day and I’m tired and I want to go to bed.

I bought the kitten because working from home can be lonely and I thought it would bring new life to the home. Also, they say cats are much more independent than dogs, but I’m starting to feel that I’m giving up a lot of time to attend to its needs that I don’t even have time for myself. I know it’s still early days but I feel like it’s a huge burden already. Not sure what to do?

cheekyscrip likes this.
  2. vivien

vivien PetForums VIP

Hi and welcome to the forum. It is very normal for a kitten to want to be around you. When I got my Simba I had to do housework with him tucked into my apron. Or carry him around. He is more independent now but he still has days where he will want me to carry him around. Do you have a cat tree for him to climb in a snuggle down in. This is the one I have for my boys, I think it’s about £60 on zooplus. It’s called the bears den cat tree. He will need toys like catnip toys and wand toys so you can play with him with it. When you need to work play with him then feed him, then he should sleep for a while. I hope I have helped a little. It would be lovely to see so pictures of him.

Viv xx
    FCE72132-39EF-491D-9C6F-C43342881C08.jpeg

3. buffie

buffie Mentored by Meeko

All animals are a commitment and will change your life a lot especially in the early days.
    The little fluffy addition to your life is now dependant on you to feed it, keep it warm safe and to be its companion ,
    In many ways it is like you have adopted a child .
    Put your self in his paws,he's has lost its mother and littermates,is in strange surroundings with a human he doesnt know so is feeling overwhelmed by it all.
    You need to take time out of your normal schedule to settle this little chap by spending as much time as you possibly can for the next however long it takes.
    Many people make the mistake you have in thinking cats are an "easy option" but it isn't true , to be happy they need just as much attention especially when still babies.
    It will get better but don't wish this little ones kittenhood away enjoy it .

4. StinWom

StinWom PetForums Junior

I remember the first couple of weeks with Zelda were challenging, I felt like she needed lots of attention and I wasn't getting much love back... With time it got better, she calmed down and got used to me, and we just got into our routine. It's very overwhelming at the beginning, I agree with the comparison with a child, but you need to remember kittens are very young and are like babies. You also need time to create a bond, but once it's there and you are more used to each other, it will be great!
    Regarding the sleep though, we just don't let Zelda in our bedroom at night. We noticed she likes to sleep in front of our bedroom door so we just added an extra bed there for her, and she learned to wait for us to get up in the morning.

Omar Nousseir and LinznMilly like this.
  5. cheekyscrip

cheekyscrip Pitchfork blaster

Once I got a kitten and few weeks later her sister whose home fell through. They definitely entertained each other but it was lots of running around...
    Kittens are like children.

Sometimes it is better to adopt older cat whose temperament is already known.
    Some breeds are more placid than others too...
    Fortunately kittens grow up faster than children...
    Try some simple toys like scrunched up paper balls...
    Cat safe laser beams etc... it is good to have breaks during work, kittens like to play in spurts...
    My boss when I work from home... :)

Attached Files:

6. Ringypie

Ringypie PetForums VIP

With each of ours the first few weeks have been wonderful but also a bit strange, for the kitten adjusting to the heartbreak of leaving their Mum and siblings and getting to know a new home and family, and for us adjusting to having a new member of the family with their own set of needs and likes and dislikes!
    Remember the poor little thing’s world has been turned upside down and it’s great that he has taken to you and comes to you for love and comfort. Hopefully as time goes on you will get used to having another member of the family and things will feel a bit easier!

Omar Nousseir, cheekyscrip and vivien like this.
  7. LittleEms

LittleEms PetForums Senior

I think it’s absolutely normal to feel this way. You essentially have adopted a child and it is a lot of work. I adopted 2 kittens a few weeks ago and I was shocked too at the amount of time I have to give them after only ever owning adult cats who don’t need or want anywhere near as much one one one time.

But you do get used to it, and honestly now I love the routine. It is hard work sometimes, especially as one of them is having some digestion issues, but I wouldn’t change it now. And it doesn’t last forever. They’ll get older and need you a little less as time goes on.

8. Omar Nousseir

Hi Vivien,

Thank you for your response. Apologies for taking a while to reply, Magrib kept me preoccupied a lot the last couple of weeks lol.

I have to say the first week was difficult but I have been persistent with the routine and things are getting easier slowly. Now, he sleeps when I sleep which is great. I think yhhhhhhhthkklmmm (Magrib on my keyboard lol). I think it does get easier as time goes on and I will do my very best to give him the kittenhood he deserves. I use a wand toy and my bedroom as an obstacle course, getting him to sneak and catch the toy in different ways, so it's been good to see that develop. I will definitly look into zooplus for a cat tree for him. As you can see from the photo attached is Magrib whilst on my desk whilst working from home lol.

Btw, I have to say have a very lovely looking cat family!

Attached Files:

9. Omar Nousseir

Hi Buffie,

Thank you for your response and apologies for the late reply. You're absolutely right when you say they require a lot of care and attention, especially as kittiens. I will do my best for him. So far, we have a routine established, although sometimes he gets very hyper acttive, but I guess that is normal because of his age. Although he is still transitioning to his new environment, he does see comfort and trust in me and sleeping on my lap which is very reassuring.

cheekyscrip likes this.
  10. vivien

vivien PetForums VIP

Thank you. He is so tiny. I think that is why he is so needy. I’m glad to hear he sleeps when you sleep. He will get more independent as he grows older.
    Viv xx

cheekyscrip likes this.
  11. Omar Nousseir

Hi

Thanks for your response, it's always helpful to hear other people's experiences. I have to say I'm seeing improvements and you're right when you say it takes time for things settle down. It's a transition for both of us, but we'll make it work. Thankfully, Magrib adjusted to my sleeping schedule and makes a useful alarm clock except for the weekends lol.

cheekyscrip and StinWom like this.
  12. Omar Nousseir

Hi,

Thank you for your response. I tried the scrunched up ball of paper and it works wonders! Your boss looks really funny in the picture lol. Here is my boss at work, although he looks too innocent lol

Attached Files:

cheekyscrip likes this.
  13. Omar Nousseir

Hi,

Thank you for your response. It does help to put yourself in their shoes as you said, since it's a big transition for what is essentailly a baby. It is up to us to help them transition. It's only been two weeks and I am seeing improvements. He helps persevere with dull days at work :)

cheekyscrip and Ringypie like this.
  14. cheekyscrip

cheekyscrip Pitchfork blaster

Absolutely beautiful and he is tiny still...... but surely will grow to be your Big Boss...

Best luck both!

15. Omar Nousseir

Hi,

Thank you for your response. It is challenging but also rewarding to see them develop and interact with you now being part of the family. It's nice to hear that you're enjoying the routine now and it works. Hope all gets better with your cat's digestion issues.

LittleEms likes this.
  16. Clare T

Clare T PetForums Newbie

17. Clare T

Clare T PetForums Newbie

18. Clare T

Clare T PetForums Newbie

Hi,

I know exactly how you feel. I got a kitten in March this year and she completely took over our life. I did wonder whether I’d done the right thing !! It turned out it was the best decision I ever made, she turned out to be a wonderful cat. The first 4 months were the hardest as she was constantly on the go, but as she got older she started to slow down and fitted into our life perfectly. I could never have let her sleep in my bedroom when she was younger as I would never have got any sleep, so made up one of the spare rooms for her with her bed , litter tray etc. She eventually adjusted to fit our routine, so she slept of a night and awake most of the day. Eventually when a bit older I let her sleep wherever she preferred in the house. Hope this helps and I promise you won’t always feel that you don’t have time for yourself. Good luck and hope all works out well for you

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice