Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Overly keen and inquisitive adoptive owners?

Discussion in 'Cat Breeding' started by Alessa, Nov 11, 2012.

1. Alessa

Alessa PetForums Member

To all breeders out there,

Do you get overly keen and adoptive owners, asking you a lot of questions and waking you up in the middle of the night because their recently adopted kitten is having diarrhea/vomiting?

I am one :)() and I feel awful, but I DID try to ask them about information on deworming dates, and I got no response. I did not chase the matter afterwards because I always had the feeling they really did not like me asking loads of questions... but I had to ask it this evening because my Mathias is having some digestive upset :crying: and I am not sure what is causing it.

2. spotty cats

spotty cats PetForums VIP

Not happened to me, but I wouldn't be bothered by a late night call from a new kitten owner if they thought something was wrong with their baby.

Shame you got no response on the worming question, my kittens leave with a folder stuffed full of info and a health record for their new owners.

Has your kitten seen a vet? Could a change in diet be causing the tummy troubles? Giving him boiled chicken with rice and some plain yoghurt for a day or two often helps to settle the tummy.

3. jo-pop

jo-pop PetForums VIP

I found the rice made my cat worse, I stuck to boiled chicken plus the broth water to drink. Worked a treat.
    Maybe you should pop her to vets too though to be sure

4. carly87

carly87 PetForums VIP

I'd be really upset if a new owner didn't phone me to ask questions like that when they were worried. I really do mean it when I say that kittens go to their new home with a whole lot of love and a lifetime of support from their breeder.

Luz likes this.
  5. catcoonz

catcoonz PetForums VIP

i would want to know even if it was a 3am phone call.:)

6. spid

spid PetForums VIP

I wouldn't be guaranteed to wake for a 3am call AND be polite - for me 3am calls are for family deaths etc but I would want to be notified if anything was wrong.

Likewise my kittens go with a folder stating when they were wormed and with what and with the next worming tablet included with the date it is to be used written on the pack. Same for anything else.

I love to be kept informed but not to the point of knowing how many poos it does a day and at what time etc.

7. MCWillow

MCWillow PetForums VIP

*throws away the Poo Diary waiting next to the kittens tray...* :lol:

8. Jenny1966

Jenny1966 PetForums VIP

Would be fun to see just how mad Spid gets!! :D

As Carly said, I was told if ever I had any problems she was always at the end of the phone. I'm not sure I would have bothered her at 3am, but I'm almost certain she wouldn't have minded if I did :)

9. carly87

carly87 PetForums VIP

I wouldn't have minded at all! I almost bothered you at 3 AM shortly after he went, just to make sure he was sleeping all right!

10. spid

spid PetForums VIP

I need my sleep too much ! I blame my health! :D

No poo diaries please though!

11. Jenny1966

Jenny1966 PetForums VIP

lol I would have been awake to make sure he was ok, he was out for the count!!

12. carly87

carly87 PetForums VIP

Not sure my new kitten owners know what they're letting themselves in for... You may get some "hold my hand please and talk sense so's I stop blubbing" calls or emails when this lot go, Jenny. Already feeling sick at the prospect. I think I get far too attached.

13. Jenny1966

Jenny1966 PetForums VIP

You think??? I know!! lol

I remember the first phone call the first evening ..... hubbie went up the town, did some shopping and we were still talking when he got back lol

You know I'm here if you need me :)

14. dancemagicdance

dancemagicdance PetForums VIP

I don't know how breeders do it! Pip has her one litter and I am absolutely dreading letting them go :eek: I think their new slaves will have to sneak them out while I cry in another room, I want to keep them all! :001_wub:

15. carly87

carly87 PetForums VIP

It's worse when you have kids to pick them up. Can't cry in front of them, but it's so hard. I have people well warned to ignore me blubbing as they take my babies away.

16. Golgotha_tramp

Golgotha_tramp PetForums Senior

I'll rip them out of your tear stained fingers, I'm such a bitch! Haha ha ha!:devil:

17. carly87

carly87 PetForums VIP

Just as long as you don't eat them...

18. Jenny1966

Jenny1966 PetForums VIP

:eek: Carly I think you should re-consider sending your babies to this woman!! Send them here instead! :devil:

19. Alessa

Alessa PetForums Member

Well, the thing is I just sent a text message! I did not even call, and I still got told off that it was half past twelve! And yes, thanks for the advice, he is now on a boiled chicken diet and has started eating again.

I explained the situation to the breeders and they just told me that if he is playful and responsive, it can wait, but that's the last I've heard from them! We are going to the vets today, but I would have thought they would ask me how he was after I told them he was refusing his food, vomiting once and having diarrhea last weekend, but no communication whatsoever!

When I was scouting around for breeders they claimed their prices were higher because they take extra care of their kittens and all that, now I am a wee bit disappointed! I know that I am ultimately the one who should show most concern, but from a breeder who advertised themselves as loving their kittens a lot, it would make sense if they were a little more concerned too! Oh well!

PS: They provided me with a slightly outdated caresheet, and they forgot to fill in the date of the last worming! I sent them an SMS to ask when it was but no response. As I have said, I get the gut feeling they get annoyed when I ask questions, so I did not pursue it.

20. dagny0823

dagny0823 PetForums VIP

Nearly ruined the laptop on that one, spitting coffee and laughing!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice